Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ae92 Gti Engine Swaps, What Engines?

sum1 superior

Hi people. Ive had some great advice so far regarding fixing my car, but now im getting increasingly bored of throwing money into my 4age 149000 lump! Im looking for a different engine for it.. with some more poke woould be good. And i do already know about the 4agze engine from an old MR2... problem is... i cant find an old MR2! Plan is to buy a complete car and transfer engine/parts to my corolla! Any ideas people??

Thanks

eBay always turns something up mate... there are so many threads on this please use the search function.

The straight swaps are:

4A-GZE

4A-GE 20 Valve ST

4A-GE 20 Valve BT

The 4A-GZE is a straight swap other than the PAS lines need to be modified and you need to make sure it comes with the 4A-GZE engine mounts as they are different from the 4A-GE's.

The 20 Valve 4A-GE swaps are straight forward and as far as I know require nothing to be modified. They are tough to get hold of and the Black Top is the more powerful of the two.

Any of these swaps will require the ECU related to the engine. You will need the loom and ECU for the swap.

You can also go and do a 3S-GTE but that needs a lot of work and it can be tough to get a Rev 3 engine with a good history and price.

Alrite mate, good to hear there is another gti in the west country!

KP has basically got all the general info there and this is a regularly discussed subject so def get

on the forum search function!

The 4agze and 3sgte are great options for the car with good power gains but both forced induction

with the 20v been naturally aspirated, it depends on what kind of power ure looking for and how

much "work ure willing to put in/willing to pay someone", the 20v will rev to 9k rpm but offer little in

the way of major power gains, maybe something different like a 3sge on throttle bodies?

Doing just a 3S-GTE seems a little pointless as you can just as easily do the 3S-GTE swap. If you are a novice to this I would suggest you go with the GZE or the 20 Valves.

The 20 Valve BT has 175BHP which isn't exactly small considering the Early Spec GTi TVIS 16 Valve engine with the MAP sensor produces 127BHP :P

or get someone to do the swap for you ;)

I dont think its pointless as it has many tuneing parts available and with a throttle body conversion would be awesome, I know its a big job but we are always suggesting the same conversions and I was just throwing in another suggestion! not everybody whants a turbo car and the 20v is a great engine and will be fun but not worth the cash and hassle to convert from a 16v in my opinion! :D

Fair enough. Arguably the 16 Valves engines can be tuned to massive N/A power, so it seems to make such a conversion rather in vain...

But the 3S-GE would offer more torque. All your own personal choice. The GZE would be a good conversion for you to aim for.

Thanks for the info... i did ask in another topic to be referred to a link regarding engine transplants and was recommended to start a NEW topic regarding this, hense my thread.

Ive quoted this post as this seems the best idea so far! lol

So... the 3S-GTE .... can someone post a pic OR a link to a pic of what car this is from?? I was told its from a celica?? And im guessing its a turbo lump??

I am a novice to this as you can see, so the basic the info the better.

My Corolla is the Non-tvis version if that make any difference.

Thanks again everyone

yeah it was fitted to the ST-165,ST-185 and ST205 celica GT-fours, the second one being the most common in corolla conversions as they are cheapish and plentyful, however they arnt the best. the ST-165 isnt worth bothering with and is hard to come by.

the ST-205 is the real one to go for as it has 50bhp more than the early one and is a bit tougher, it will run 300 bhp all day long with a fairly stock setup (boost increase, exhaust and air cleaner are the only mods needed)

these engines can also be found in MR2 turbos the later rev 3 engine (ST-205 style) is found from 1994 on. it is best to use the GT-four engine in a FWD car as it is set up to run in that position as opposed to the mid engined layout of the MR2

pic of the ST-205

CelicaST205.jpg

pic of the ST-185

St185.jpg

Thanks for the info... i did ask in another topic to be referred to a link regarding engine transplants and was recommended to start a NEW topic regarding this, hense my thread.

Ive quoted this post as this seems the best idea so far! lol

So... the 3S-GTE .... can someone post a pic OR a link to a pic of what car this is from?? I was told its from a celica?? And im guessing its a turbo lump??

I am a novice to this as you can see, so the basic the info the better.

My Corolla is the Non-tvis version if that make any difference.

Thanks again everyone

You're right and that was me! :bag:

But since then there have been about three more threads on this topic... :lol:

I would say get a 4agze but they are so rare these days haven't seen one for sale for a long time :(

Sadly AE-92 is correct - 4A-GZE engines as a rare as rocking horse poo. I got mine back in 2003 when it was fitted to my AE111 Corolla. It's not as straightforward a swop as some make out though. I had problems with mine getting it to rev past 5,500rpm and the only solution was to fit a standalone ECU (MoTeC M4 in my case, though there are other options). If you do get your hands on one I would rebuild it with new rings, shells, big ends, water pump and oil pump before fitting it. The last of these engines were built in 1995 and will be tired by now. If you get a good one (or re-build it) you will be very happy with the results. Mine is putting out 198bhp and 172lbft of torque and together with that supercharger whine when you stamp on the go pedal makes it a fantastic combination. My website has lots of information and pictures.

The guy who did my engine transplant for me has put a 3S-GE in an AE92 and he was pretty impressed with it, as kparis said, a lot more torque and that's what really matters.

Another choice that has not been mentioned is the 1.3 litre turbo lump from a Starlet tubo / Glanza. In standard trim these produce about 135bhp but with a few relatively simple tweeks can be persuaded to produce a lot more.

Have fun.

to true john forgot about the glanaza engine ;)

would make a pretty good combo to and shouldnt make the insurance to bad as it is only a 1.3

i didnt mention the caldina engine as they are pretty rare over here anyway but you are right

Well as Dawesy said, the ST205 is the one to go for as it has 50BHP more but that would be nice to go for. However if I were you I'd wait for a Rev 3 to cross your eyes... ;)

or buy the REV 2 engine and spec it up to REV 3, that's what i did:

ST185 engine

ST183 camshafts (closer duration to ST205 than ST185)

ST205 injector

REV3 MR2 ECU if you want to run a FMIC

(also removed the TVIS and smoothed it out for better port entry)