Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Double Din Head Units

Bong Water

Ok i've decided I cant take much more of the standard head unit, it sounds crap and having no MP3's and having to listen to the radio is driving me mental. My standard unit has everything with anciant sat nav system and stupid full sized DVD player for the maps that I want rid of, not bothered about the MPG thingy either, I am bothered about steering controls though

Firstly, is the standard head unit with sat nav worth anything on eBay etc, its fully working, it would be good if I could recoup some cash back by selling it

Does anyone know if a double din is a direct fit without a fascia adapter? This would be good too, would make it cheaper and easier, can a double din unit even fit in the gap at all?

Will I retain the steering controls? I've read that you can get some kind of adaptor that retains the steering controls not sure if its true or if it works?

How difficult is it to fit? I'd get a local audio place to sort it all out but I dont want to end up using a moron thats going to scratch my currently scratch free dash and/or leave me with rattles, any recomendations in Manchester?

Thanks

Ok i've decided I cant take much more of the standard head unit, it sounds crap and having no MP3's and having to listen to the radio is driving me mental. My standard unit has everything with anciant sat nav system and stupid full sized DVD player for the maps that I want rid of, not bothered about the MPG thingy either, I am bothered about steering controls though

Firstly, is the standard head unit with sat nav worth anything on ebay etc, its fully working, it would be good if I could recoup some cash back by selling it

Does anyone know if a double din is a direct fit without a fascia adapter? This would be good too, would make it cheaper and easier, can a double din unit even fit in the gap at all?

Will I retain the steering controls? I've read that you can get some kind of adaptor that retains the steering controls not sure if its true or if it works?

How difficult is it to fit? I'd get a local audio place to sort it all out but I dont want to end up using a moron thats going to scratch my currently scratch free dash and/or leave me with rattles, any recomendations in Manchester?

Thanks

Hi

I replaced mine with a cheap dvd/satnav sysem, one of those where the front moves down to put dvd in, does need an adapter however i found that it still didn't fit correctly.

My mate had a more expensive one but the front didn't move there was a slot on the top for the dvd to go in and that fit perfectly in my car with the adapter. just a heads up cos mine looked really crap as it didn't fit propa and i had to cut the adapter and kinda force it to fit lol

now i have a single din that fits and looks much better. adaptors are available for steering controls but when i was looking was quite expensive so i dint bother with them.

double din or single din both need fascia adapters. personally i wouldnt consider anything other than an alpine head unit, they are simply the best.

Well, i've had my double DIN H/U in for about 4years now, and not looked back since.

The design of the dashboard is crap, to put it politely, for what Toyota think is a double DIN size, is not the standard size or shape, it seems to be wider, but once you remove it and look at it's basic shape, it is there but with lots of plastic to hide the gap.

I've not found a facial trim to hide the gap, so i got some friends who do do trimming work, and made something for me to hide the gap, which i still think looks cool.

As with selling your old unit, might not be worth the hassle, and remember, when you come to sell the car one day, are you going to sell your H/U with it or installed the original back into it.

I've yet to find a steering wheel adaptor to do the remote control part, but a few people on the forum have overcome this so it is possible but how much work is needed for this, i'm not too sure.

I've put a few pics below, of my current H/U and the OEM unit.

The air vent trim might look different to yours, as i brought a new one, but at the time, this was the only route i could do to achieve what i've got now, but will say, it wasn't a cheap route to do.

med_gallery_1491_429_173346.jpg

med_gallery_1491_689_64177.jpg

Hope this helps you, let me know if you need any more

Bing

:thumbsup:

Firstly, is the standard head unit with sat nav worth anything on ebay etc, its fully working, it would be good if I could recoup some cash back by selling it

Thanks

Hi Bong Water

Interesting topic...i've had my 2006 hatch less than a month and the 1st thing i did was buy myself a black single din fascia so that i could install my bluetooth JVC unit...its all assembled ready for install...but now i kinda like the original unit...maybe im just not tired of it yet but i like the fact that the sound is pretty good for a factory unit added with the 6 speaker system being the SR...and plus you got all that boring but useful info

on-screen...At the same time i purchased myself a steering wheel stalk adaptor lead so that i may still use the remote controls on my steering wheel off eBay £20.50 delivered, haven't tried it yet but looks good and apparently does work!

I defo wouldnt recommend you sell the original unit...because if/when you come to selling the car your gonna need it to fill up that big cap lol! I've made that mistake before and lost a buyers!

Sorry i cant help re.the double din side of things...i did consider it but cant afford the one i want lol!

goodluck...Regards...Sammy

yes you can retain the steering wheel controls;

search eBay for 'stalk adaptor corolla' and it should come up with something, then you will need the correct patch lead for your make of head unit.

definatley dont sell your original head unit. if your spending £200+ on a new head unit it will last you a good few years, so you'll want to install it in your next car.

again, i cant help with the double din, ive just got a single din with a fascia adaptor

• 7 years later...
On 15/09/2010 at 11:28 PM, man-bing said:

Well, i've had my double DIN H/U in for about 4years now, and not looked back since.

The design of the dashboard is crap, to put it politely, for what Toyota think is a double DIN size, is not the standard size or shape, it seems to be wider, but once you remove it and look at it's basic shape, it is there but with lots of plastic to hide the gap.

I've not found a facial trim to hide the gap, so i got some friends who do do trimming work, and made something for me to hide the gap, which i still think looks cool.

As with selling your old unit, might not be worth the hassle, and remember, when you come to sell the car one day, are you going to sell your H/U with it or installed the original back into it.

I've yet to find a steering wheel adaptor to do the remote control part, but a few people on the forum have overcome this so it is possible but how much work is needed for this, i'm not too sure.

I've put a few pics below, of my current H/U and the OEM unit.

The air vent trim might look different to yours, as i brought a new one, but at the time, this was the only route i could do to achieve what i've got now, but will say, it wasn't a cheap route to do.

med_gallery_1491_429_173346.jpg

med_gallery_1491_689_64177.jpg

Hope this helps you, let me know if you need any more

Bing

:thumbsup:

I need the framework of this. if you do not need your way. 

• 2 weeks later...

To retrain the Stereo controls I think you just got with the Connects2 adaptors as mentioned about £20.00 to buy. I would insist you decide on a stereo first so you get the right tag wiring for the steering wheel adaptor...

I'm changing my stereo soon but will just be going single din with the fascia adaptor hopefully. I have no need for CD so will be going for a simple mechless unit with DAB+ and FLAC playback support, ideally Android plug and play also...

I currently use the standard system but have a Connects2 USB/SD/AUX adaptor that connects to the CD changer port. It seems my headunit is playing up and now my steering wheel controls and the connects2 unit are non functioning / no longer detected.

Also noticed my MPG has gone totally bonkers, as I drive it just displays random numbers like 0MPG, 99MPG, just random numbers ? Anyone had this ?