Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4.2 Rear Door (Boot)

Catweazle

Some kind person decided to drive into the back of me last night. It wasn't a huge crash and in the dark it seemed that it was only the spare wheel cover which had been damaged. However, upon checking in the light this morning, I noticed that the offside bottom part of the rear door(boot) just below the XT4 Badge does not flare out to match the rear wing as the nearside does. I can't remember if it was like this before as is by design to allow the door to open properly, or whether the bump to the spare wheel has bent the bottom of the door in.

Would one of you kind people be able to pop outside and take a look at your 4.2 boot door to see if the offside flares out at the bottom on the hinge side or is straighter than the lock side?

The weight of the wheel and carrier is massive, any rear end shunt, from what I have seen, usually bends the rear door. Imagine the forces applied to the three bolts that hold the spare wheel in place, I think you will find the door will have distorted. Sorry for the bad news :!Removed!:

Kingo :thumbsup:

The weight of the wheel and carrier is massive, any rear end shunt, from what I have seen, usually bends the rear door. Imagine the forces applied to the three bolts that hold the spare wheel in place, I think you will find the door will have distorted. Sorry for the bad news :!Removed!:

Thanks Kingo, that's not what I wanted to hear.

Anyone got a minute in their luchbreak to pop outside just to confirm before I ring the perpetrator to break the bad news?

Just looked at mine its straighter at the hinge side than the lock side.

Thanks Ian. I did wonder if that was the case as if it had bent in the collision then it managed to bend very evenly.

Think I'd best trawl around a few car parks to find a couple of 4.2s for comparison.

Fingers crossed!

Thanks Ian. I did wonder if that was the case as if it had bent in the collision then it managed to bend very evenly.

Think I'd best trawl around a few car parks to find a couple of 4.2s for comparison.

Fingers crossed!

Ian, I can't thank you enough. That's exactly what mine looks like - phew!

Looks like the bloke who hit me will only have to cough up for a new spare wheel cover and corner bumper then. I must admit that I wasn't looking forward to having to have the door replaced.

Just another example of what a great club we have here and how we all help each other.

Thanks again.

No problem, however before you let anyone off the hook I would take the spare off and completely remove the cover. Check if there is any deformation or paint cracks around the wheel mounting bracket. If your unsure of anything I can probably remove my spare and take a photo.

No problem, however before you let anyone off the hook I would take the spare off and completely remove the cover. Check if there is any deformation or paint cracks around the wheel mounting bracket. If your unsure of anything I can probably remove my spare and take a photo.

Great minds think alike.

Weather permitting, I am planning on doing that tonight when I get home.

Incidentally, I have just phoned my local main dealer and the wheel cover is £312 + VAT, the mounting bracket £125 + vat and the corner bumper £120 + VAT, so assuming that there is no other underlying damage, he is already looking at £650 - ouch!

Thanks again

Dave

Just goes to show when anybody says "Oh its OK I will pay for the damage" they think you are having them over with prices!

I have seen hundreds of cars that appear to have very minor damage but on close inspection, something has cracked like paint, or a panel, then when you add up all the costs it can be significant.

Take the spare wheel off as mentioned above and check for paint cracks around the spare wheel mount, it is very common for the door to bend on that mounting point, so best be safe than sorry, I have seen it happen a lot on RAV's

Warning; Anyone looking at Ian's photo's - wear welding goggles or get dazzled B)

Just had the spare wheel cover, spare wheel, rear cover and mount off and am pleased to report that there is no sign of any damage to the door. However, he is still in for a £500+ bill just for the spare wheel cover and corner bumper.

Anyone know how easy/difficult it is to get the rear corner bumper off? I can see 2 bolts on the door side and a couple of screws on the wheel arch, is that it?

Thanks again everyone.

Thanks Ian, looks fairly straight forward.

I've just phoned the bloke with the prices and he wants me to take the RAV to a 'mate' of his who is in the trade. I kindly declined and advised him that all he needs to do is purchase the 2 parts (genuine Toyota of course, no pattern rubbish) himself or give me the money and I'll buy them. Failing that I'm getting on the blower to the insurance company.

He's going to call me back.

Watch this space!