Do Not Sell My Personal Information

71Mpg I Think I Figured It Out

Doesn'tExist

This morning I drove from whipsnade to farnborough. That trip included b roads, town driving (Hemel Hempstead & Farnborough), a41, m25 and m3. On each road I drove at the maximum of the speed limit and on the motorway where possible perhaps even slighty over it at an indicated 80mph. The loan car I have has done only 521 miles and I established

Distance 41.2 miles

Avg speed 36mph

Consumption 71.0mpg

I was well and truly impressed. The difference was that I read the manuals this morning which suggested that in stop start traffic one should switch by actually pressing the button to Eco mode. At no time I was holding traffic and just flowing along with it. I must admit I am astonished. Very very good mileage for the type of journey I had.

Sounds about right too.... it's the sort of consumption figures I would be expecting when I pick my Gen3 up this weekend... - on my normal journey from Pitsea to Farnborough (visitng ma-in-law) A13, M25 south, M3 - 79 miles average time around 1hour 15 mins consumption in my gen2 usually around 58-60mpg, so I will be expecting some increase on that with the new one....

I've been making more use of 'Eco' lately and have found a reasonable increase in my fuel economy compared to 'normal'.

I leave mine in eco all the time- using power only rarely when needed. Apart from using ev in car parks to hunt unsuspecting shoppers... :yahoo:

Don't think I could leave it in ECO all the time, I'd feel you definitely become a blocker to traffic in not moving along quick enough. But in normal stop-start rush hour traffic it is ok.

I leave mine in eco all the time- using power only rarely when needed. Apart from using ev in car parks to hunt unsuspecting shoppers... :yahoo:

:). I've heard that if you squash a shopper in tesco's car park whilst in stealth mode you don't get any club card points, only if you squash them with a shopping trolley ??

I've been making more use of 'Eco' lately and have found a reasonable increase in my fuel economy compared to 'normal'.

Grumpy, bearing in mind I get my gen3 tomorrow, and having noted the comments about pwr Eco and normal modes, what is the best combination that you have found (or anyone else for that matter)

The gen2 only had EV or normal so the new one is a bit more tecchie

The answer is actually in the manual as I discovered in my first point and further more common sense. Normal auto mode is absolutely fine all the time, but many posts on this board say it takes a few thousand miles to improve and get up to the expected levels. Don't forget I am talking about a vehicle with a few hundred miles on it in this post.

So just leave it in auto for 99% of the time, but when you hit continual stop start traffic like on the M25 or a gridlocked town centre just switch to ECO for the duration of that. Then once the traffic is flowing again just press ECO again to switch back to normal.

PWR I have to use to get out of our little country lane, cut across the A5 in rush hour traffic in order to ensure the vehicle responds in an appropriate and fast manner. The theory is that you can floor it in automatic mode but I don't like the slow throttle response. PWR is also great for a spirited driving session along little hill side roads, the gears and power just seem to be in the right place all the time and you don't end up going slower than that caravan or tractor.

It sounds more complicated than it really is.

The answer is actually in the manual as I discovered in my first point and further more common sense. Normal auto mode is absolutely fine all the time, but many posts on this board say it takes a few thousand miles to improve and get up to the expected levels. Don't forget I am talking about a vehicle with a few hundred miles on it in this post.

So just leave it in auto for 99% of the time, but when you hit continual stop start traffic like on the M25 or a gridlocked town centre just switch to ECO for the duration of that. Then once the traffic is flowing again just press ECO again to switch back to normal.

PWR I have to use to get out of our little country lane, cut across the A5 in rush hour traffic in order to ensure the vehicle responds in an appropriate and fast manner. The theory is that you can floor it in automatic mode but I don't like the slow throttle response. PWR is also great for a spirited driving session along little hill side roads, the gears and power just seem to be in the right place all the time and you don't end up going slower than that caravan or tractor.

It sounds more complicated than it really is.

Thanks for that, probably took longer to type than say too!!!

It sounds like I'm gonna have fun learning how to drive again :)

I can type 190 words per minute thumbsup.gif I would make a fine secretary if I wasn't so ugly and hairy crybaby.gif

Last night I applied some of the techniques to my Audi 3.0V6 petrol Tiptronic quattro, as in the gentle pulse and glide, the easing of on the throttle once I got to the speed. Slightly less aggressive acceleration and still making the same progress. And I'll be damned, I was getting nearly 37mpg which is just amazing for such an engine.

I can type 190 words per minute thumbsup.gif I would make a fine secretary if I wasn't so ugly and hairy crybaby.gif

Last night I applied some of the techniques to my Audi 3.0V6 petrol Tiptronic quattro, as in the gentle pulse and glide, the easing of on the throttle once I got to the speed. Slightly less aggressive acceleration and still making the same progress. And I'll be damned, I was getting nearly 37mpg which is just amazing for such an engine.

:). Just shows how driving technique helps! Surprisingly driving economically is also more relaxing and pleasant too.. So we have health benefits (less stress) and economical benefits too (less petrol used = less tax to the government ) result all round!

ECO mode also affects the aircon and engine temperature to use less fuel. With the cold starts we are getting lately, I am now in ECO mode and still getting 70mpg on the daily commute. I just have to remember to press down further on the pedal to stop being a road block :D

ECO mode also affects the aircon and engine temperature to use less fuel. With the cold starts we are getting lately, I am now in ECO mode and still getting 70mpg on the daily commute. I just have to remember to press down further on the pedal to stop being a road block :D

Does eco mode persist across restarts or do you have to push the button each time you start the "engine"?

Grumpy, bearing in mind I get my gen3 tomorrow, and having noted the comments about pwr Eco and normal modes, what is the best combination that you have found (or anyone else for that matter)

The gen2 only had EV or normal so the new one is a bit more tecchie

Personal choice.

I'd personally leave it in 'normal' for the first 1000 miles until you get the hang of it. However, in answer to your questions, I've found 'eco' good for in town - esp bumper to bumper traffic, normal for everywhere else and 'Power' for overtaking or slip roads. The thing I've found with 'Power' mode though, is that it can take about 1-2 seconds before it kicks in properly - so bear in mind if using for overtaking! :eek:

Does eco mode persist across restarts or do you have to push the button each time you start the "engine"?

Yes.

ECO and 'normal' persist but PWR and EV are cleared each time you turn off.

hello all

i was reading this post the other day and i thought i try and do a full shift with the car in eco mode see what the out would be... and it seem to have done about 5 more to the gallon didn't seem to make much of a driving difference but all i do is drive around town and so on.

Remember rns it is not just in Eco mode. I had it less in Eco mode than normal.

Pardon my stupidity on this as a newbee owner of the Prius, but I am unaware of a 'normal' mode. AV, power, and ECO.. yes, but where is Normal.

None of the buttons active is 'normal' or 'automatic', the others are basically just computer overrides...But as I started this thread since I discovered sometimes they do better than I :-)

None of the buttons active is 'normal' or 'automatic', the others are basically just computer overrides...But as I started this thread since I discovered sometimes they do better than I :-)

Thanks for the reply and apologies for going off-topic

I found that if you push the appropriate button twice it stops being illuminated. I just thought that this meant that the display for the av/power/eco was disabled, but the action by pressing the button was still active, as it behaves in the same manner. Is this what you mean for 'normal' mode.

So just what does 'normal' do ? As I have eco enabled all of the time (except when I flick the power to overtake the idiots) & still get just below 60mpg

(is it worth starting a new topic ?)

Personally I do not think that you gain anything except delayed 'engine' responses by driving all the time in Eco. The manual is quite clear, just use in stop/start traffic and switch it off again.