Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hunting A Sr180 - Questions For Existing Owners!

Annatar

Hi all,

New here - but have stalked the forum for a while.

Brief lowdown:

I'm James, I'm 25 - I'm a teacher and I currently own a Corolla Colour Collection 1.4 D4-D 05 plate in grey. Lovely car and great economy - but not fast enough. Parents have Toyotas - two identicle Rav4's (1st generation: 1994-1998) and wouldn't consider any other make of car. We are a 'Toyota' family.

My current car:

p070809163401.jpg

I'm on the hunt for a Auris SR180. And I'm one of these people who researches everything so I can pin down exactly what I want and also what positives and negatives I should expect of any new car.

Ironically at the moment, I'm teaching English in China until January. So inbetween lesson plans and savouring the atmosphere out here I'm swatting up for hitting the forcourts and driveways of Auris 2.2's everywhere. I've driven 180's and a Honda Civic 2.2 (Whilst the latter is a fantastic machine - I couldn't live with its styling).

What I'm looking for:

Auris 2.2 SR180

Pure White (because it looks agressive, sporty and in my eyes - the best looking!)

Full Toyota Motorsport body kit (twin exhausts, rear spolier, front skirt)

In-built Toyota Sat Nav (the fabled £1500 extra when new)

What I'm looking for...

media4.jpg

media1hx.jpg

media7.jpg

toyotaauris5192036.jpg

Questions for existing Auris owners:

1) Fuel Economy:

Seems this forum is littered with people concerned over the SR180's inability to live up to its fuel economy figures. I commute a 60-mile round trip to and from my school during term time. My little 1.4 D-4D Corolla returns good economy (50-55mpg - I've never calculated it). I know I'm going to take a hit fuel economy wise - the price I pay for a massive increase in performance. What is all this talk of ensuring you clean the DVP or some coponent of the engine? How have people faired after taking the advice of others people's words of wisdom on here?

I find it perplexing that some people return good fuel economy figures and others are dipping below 30mpg?!

2) Toyota's in-built Sat Nav (TNS 700??):

Your views on its performance? Is it a DAB radio? Is it I-pod compatable? Currently, I'm only interested in a particular car if it has this £1500-extra included.

3) T180 Vs SR180?

i)It appears most people argue that the T180 is the higher spec car (keyless entry, sunroof). Which the SR180 lost, replaced by tinted windows and - of course - the new white paint job? Beyond this - are there any other fundamental differences between the two cars?

ii) Also - I've read about the supposed 'Cream of the Crop' being the early 08 SR180 which have T180 spec.

ARCH - a member was considering selling his last November (09)? An early SR180 with T180 spec, in white! If you're still about, ARCH - do you still own this particular car? Do you still intend to sell it?

...and on a final note: I was made pig-sick the other day when I saw this being advertised:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201036367870085/sort/priceasc/usedcars/model/auris/make/toyota/radius/1500/page/3/postcode/pe150pd/keywords/2.2?logcode=p

Pretty much - the perfect car! But alas, I'm not in the country again til January!! :(

Does the car above belong to one of you lot? If so, can't you out for 4 months god-dammit!

Hi all,

New here - but have stalked the forum for a while.

Brief lowdown:

I'm James, I'm 25 - I'm a teacher and I currently own a Corolla Colour Collection 1.4 D4-D 05 plate in grey. Lovely car and great economy - but not fast enough. Parents have Toyotas - two identicle Rav4's (1st generation: 1994-1998) and wouldn't consider any other make of car. We are a 'Toyota' family.

My current car:

p070809163401.jpg

I'm on the hunt for a Auris SR180. And I'm one of these people who researches everything so I can pin down exactly what I want and also what positives and negatives I should expect of any new car.

Ironically at the moment, I'm teaching English in China until January. So inbetween lesson plans and savouring the atmosphere out here I'm swatting up for hitting the forcourts and driveways of Auris 2.2's everywhere. I've driven 180's and a Honda Civic 2.2 (Whilst the latter is a fantastic machine - I couldn't live with its styling).

What I'm looking for:

Auris 2.2 SR180

Pure White (because it looks agressive, sporty and in my eyes - the best looking!)

Full Toyota Motorsport body kit (twin exhausts, rear spolier, front skirt)

In-built Toyota Sat Nav (the fabled £1500 extra when new)

What I'm looking for...

media4.jpg

media1hx.jpg

media7.jpg

toyotaauris5192036.jpg

Questions for existing Auris owners:

1) Fuel Economy:

Seems this forum is littered with people concerned over the SR180's inability to live up to its fuel economy figures. I commute a 60-mile round trip to and from my school during term time. My little 1.4 D-4D Corolla returns good economy (50-55mpg - I've never calculated it). I know I'm going to take a hit fuel economy wise - the price I pay for a massive increase in performance. What is all this talk of ensuring you clean the DVP or some coponent of the engine? How have people faired after taking the advice of others people's words of wisdom on here?

I find it perplexing that some people return good fuel economy figures and others are dipping below 30mpg?!

2) Toyota's in-built Sat Nav (TNS 700??):

Your views on its performance? Is it a DAB radio? Is it I-pod compatable? Currently, I'm only interested in a particular car if it has this £1500-extra included.

3) T180 Vs SR180?

i)It appears most people argue that the T180 is the higher spec car (keyless entry, sunroof). Which the SR180 lost, replaced by tinted windows and - of course - the new white paint job? Beyond this - are there any other fundamental differences between the two cars?

ii) Also - I've read about the supposed 'Cream of the Crop' being the early 08 SR180 which have T180 spec.

ARCH - a member was considering selling his last November (09)? An early SR180 with T180 spec, in white! If you're still about, ARCH - do you still own this particular car? Do you still intend to sell it?

...and on a final note: I was made pig-sick the other day when I saw this being advertised:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201036367870085/sort/priceasc/usedcars/model/auris/make/toyota/radius/1500/page/3/postcode/pe150pd/keywords/2.2?logcode=p

Pretty much - the perfect car! But alas, I'm not in the country again til January!! :(

Does the car above belong to one of you lot? If so, can't you out for 4 months god-dammit!

Welcome James and I envy you for being in Beijing at the moment, I was there back in 2005 and I fell in love with the place, loved the energy and people.

Back to the Auris.

I own the T180 which as you already know are basically the same car except for trim differences. Personally i will always go for the T180 over the SR180 due to the fact that you cannot retro fit keyless and sunroof, whilst you could for the cosmetic differences.

Yes there are cars out there that has T180 spec but with SR's styling and Badge, these usually are ex demos to my knowledge and you will need to look harder for these.

Personally, my car have averaged 38 MPG for a year now, the best being 43MPG and worst was 33MPG over one tank. I think it is a very sensitive engine in regards to economy and can vary hugely depending on how you drive it, as with most cars you will struggle to reach quoted figures of 45.6MPG but what you are willing to put up with is entirely down to you.

Hope you find what you want James!

What is your budget out of curiosity?

I think James has just given you the best and most truthful answer, if I was you I would be after an early SR180 (re-badged T180 with SR180 body kit etc) or would buy a T180 and add any bits you want from the SR spec. As for the MPG if you do long runs 30mins / 10mlies + daily then I think you will sit around 38-40mpg but if you only do short journeys to work were the engine never really gets warm then it will be around 33-35mpg, this to be very truthful is the only gripe I have with the T180 as we expected around 5-7mpg more than we get.

Here is the EGR valve info http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=106241 not a major job but would recommend doing this every 10-15k

Hi

I,ve had a SR180 candy white since around june. I do 310 miles on a round trip most weekends and to start off with i was only getting 38-41 MPG, but then i read a post on cleaning the EGR valve and did this and now i see 48-50 MPG on the trip i try to stay at max 80mph. But i have also added a chip express tuning kit which does make a good difference.

Hope you find one :thumbsup:

Munky

I own a gun metal gray SR180 and when I brought mine from new (Nov 2009), I was one of the luckly ones as a couple of months later the car has ceased production. When I brought mine I asked the dealer regarding the sat nav option and he said that this was a bit of a waste of time as a basic Tom-Tom would do the same if not better job. I plumped not to have it and up until now I havent regreted it. 1400 GBP was a lot of money for an option I would hardly use.

I actually live in Derbyshire near to where the car was made, and each one was hand built to the customers spec. My dealer said that he could arrange for me to go and have a look at my car being built as they were built on a stand alone production line. I had to decline, but what a feeling knowing that in the two months I had to wait, someone was spcifically building a car for me, and not searching through a field of cars trying to find one with the right spec and colour.

I had the decuma gray in the end, but one of my only regrets in purchasing the car is that I wasn't brave enough to go for the white. It does look classy with the red SR Badge against the white bodywork, but the gray looks dark and sultry with the blacked out windows so I am happy. I also liked the look of the navy blue. You dont see many of these about.

The power and poise on the motorway is fantastic. The pick-up between 80 and 100 is awesome. I average 38-39 to the gallon at the moment, but the car is due its first service and I will ask the dealer to clean the EGR valve out as indicated by previous posts to improve MPG.

I have fitted the mud flap and wind deflectors. The mud flaps are a must, as for the first couple of months didnt have them and the stones used to hit the bottom of the car and make a hell of a noise. The wind deflectors are functionally useless but add something to the asthstetics of the car making it look a little more "beefy".

There are some people on here that say you should buy a T180 as they had better spec or an early SR as these had keyless entry etc. I brought my car on the feeling it gives when you drive down the road. My Missus's Yaris 1.8 SR has keyless entry which works for her as she can never find her keys in her handbag, but I wouldnt say it was any better than a normal key. The sun roof is a bit of a waste of time as all models have air con. Dont let the spec thing sway your judgement to much. It is nice to have all of the toys but you are buying the car for whats under the bonnet.

The car has never once given me a reason to regret buying it, and after previously owning Renaults where I regreted owership everyday, it has been a welcome change owning this car.

Thanks for the advice and the welcome. Your information is invaluable and better than any car review (and believe me - I've read most of them on the 180s).

I will just have to decide and see what I can find in the Spring when I get home. I need to way up having the beautiful white coat Vs having the sunroof and keyless entry (unless I'm very lucky and find an early SR180).

My budget (as someone asked) is around £11-12k. Enough to get a good T180 but perhaps a little bit tight for an SR. But we shall see.

Regarding the Sat Nav:

Can anyone give me the lowdown of how good it is? What can it do? I-pod compatable? DAB? Also - whats it called (TNS ???) I've been scouring the internet trying to find out infomation about it.

Cheers all.

James

that auris is only 5 miles away from me may have a look as i like the fact it has twin exhuast/lowered from factory and it will do more mph than my comp! :yahoo:

Regarding the Sat Nav:

Can anyone give me the lowdown of how good it is? What can it do? I-pod compatable? DAB? Also - whats it called (TNS ???) I've been scouring the internet trying to find out infomation about it.

Cheers all.

James

The satnav is ok but nothing special, we have it and the best feature is the mobile phone connecting but IMO just get the car you want and if it has the satnav then it is a bonus but I would not hunt high and low for it as IMO a tom tom is better

• 1 month later...

Hi, I bought Auris a month ago, I run about 550km and went out of the town. On a horizontal road I push the max speed, in 6 gear max trotle the speed was about 130km/h, is it electronically limited bacause of the few past kilometers or it's a problem?

Sorry about my English.

• 2 months later...

That white SR180 in the pics looks lovely, i'd be very happy with that on my drive, although i do love my Red one.

Most of your questions have been answered above, but on the note of economy, i have found my lowest to be 40mpg, and my highest (yesterdays fill up) 47mpg, so the figures are acheivable if you want to drive carefully, but the power is there if you want some fun.

Good luck finding the car you are after, i happened to buy mine on impulse (i wasn't even looking for a car at the time) and i seem to have got a very good car, so i'm more than happy with mine (except for the pathetic radio).

That white SR180 in the pics looks lovely, i'd be very happy with that on my drive, although i do love my Red one.

Most of your questions have been answered above, but on the note of economy, i have found my lowest to be 40mpg, and my highest (yesterdays fill up) 47mpg, so the figures are acheivable if you want to drive carefully, but the power is there if you want some fun.

Good luck finding the car you are after, i happened to buy mine on impulse (i wasn't even looking for a car at the time) and i seem to have got a very good car, so i'm more than happy with mine (except for the pathetic radio).

Agree about the radio (I thought it was my ears :rolleyes: ) But I have to say I love the "surge" that's there when you want it, I love the "boring car" doing the boy racers. I don't like (but I can live with) the scratchy plastic interior. To sum up "this is one hell of a car" with a few annoying little bits.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links