Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Emergency Puncture Repair Kit

nevica

Hello,

Has anybody used the emergency puncture repair kit? How much is a new sealant? Do I have to buy a Toyota original or are others available?

Can the repair kit be used as a tire inflator without the sealant in it?

Nevica

• Like 1

Hello,

Has anybody used the emergency puncture repair kit? How much is a new sealant? Do I have to buy a Toyota original or are others available?

Nevica

I seem to remember someone answered these questions in a previous thread.If you do a search for "puncture" or something like that, you may find out what you want to know.

If I remember correctly the cost of renewing the official tyre sealant was nearly the cost of a new budget tyre, and if you use the sealant the chances are you will have to replace the tyre anyway (tyre fitters don't like the gunge apparently), unless you can repair it yourself or have a friend who can.So if you have a simple puncture you could end up paying out the equivalent of the price of 2 new tyres even though nothing is really wrong with the punctured one, unless it is damaged more seriously, in the sidewall for instance.

As I don't need the rear seats I carry a spare wheel, and there is still plenty of space for luggage, shopping etc.

Hi Nevica

I had a puncture Saturday and used the repair kit. Called Mr T for price of new sealant pack and was quoted £44!!! Picked up a can of Holts TyreWeld for about £8. It'll have to do for now.

• Like 1

Hi Nevica

I had a puncture Saturday and used the repair kit. Called Mr T for price of new sealant pack and was quoted £44!!! Picked up a can of Holts TyreWeld for about £8. It'll have to do for now.

Hi there,

How is Tyeweld used? Is it a one shot from the can which can also inflate the tyre.

Can anyone answer if the inflation kit can be used as an inflator without the gunge in it. (ie as a normal pump)?

Nevica

In answer to your questions: Yes and yes :thumbsup:

I intend to carry both in the car for now. This link may help:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_164880_langId_-1_categoryId_165664

Cheers

Geoff

Brilliant,

The Tyre-Weld stuff looks very good. If it can be cleaned from the inside of a wheel then it is certainly a good product to carry in the car.

In terms of using the puncture repair kit as an inflator can I simply remove the gunge can from the inflator and use it as a stand-alone pump. If so, I might think about using it on my bike tyres. Sorry, I've already thought about it!

Nevica

Hi again

I've just had a look at the compressor again. It seems that the air outlet is fixed directly to the gunge container. Once the gunge has been used i think the air will just pass through and could be used as a basic pump thereafter. Whether one could remove the gunge container and refit the pipe directly to the compressor I'm not sure. Others might know the answer to this.

:rolleyes:

Cheers

Geoff

• 1 year later...

I tried to top up my tyres using the compressor without the gunge tank fitted, it did not work. I thought I had a faulty compressor and complained to my main dealer about this. I was told that the compressor is only there for injecting gunge when you have a punture, and not for routine topping up of air pressure. You could say it's a bit of a let down.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi again

I've just had a look at the compressor again. It seems that the air outlet is fixed directly to the gunge container. Once the gunge has been used i think the air will just pass through and could be used as a basic pump thereafter. Whether one could remove the gunge container and refit the pipe directly to the compressor I'm not sure. Others might know the answer to this.

:rolleyes:

Cheers

Geoff

Hello,

Nevica

Is this something like you're looking for?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Toyota-iQ-Emergency-Puncture-Repair-Kit-Tyre-Sealer-Compressor-/140664685524?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item20c044c3d4

• 8 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You can use it as a normal tyre inflator compressor, but you have to take the hose from the sealant container and put it on the stem where you usually insert the container. Its just a single metal clip holding it onto the bottle, you can use it for making sure the hose stays in place on the compressor side. 
but make sure to seal the tyre sealant again immediately, it becomes useless if exposed to air. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I had to use the repair kit some months ago. After a few attempts. I eventually got the tyre to inflate and get me to a repair shop.  The positves?  So much easier than trying to change the wheel.  The negatives?  Tyre shop refused to repair the tyre after the sealant has been used - Had to buy a new tyre.  Only enough sealant in canister to repair one tyre.  Has to be replaced.  Wait for it !!  Toyota charge over £50 just to replace the canister and £62 to replace the whole kit.  There are alternative products on the web at half the price.  your choice.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Used the kit two weeks ago. Tire seems fine. Does the fluid have to be washed out of the tire? I've used Stans in mountain bike tires for more than 10 years with no issues. Some say the tire pressure sensor is sealed. Kit replacement is $110US. Not sure about flushing tire.

• Like 2