Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Our Rav4.1 Crash.....update

Ady-Rav4

Thankyou to everyone who commented on my first post about our RAV4.1 being involved in an rta. Driven by my other half, who's fault it was, by the way. I would never do such a thing. The good news is there where no injuries. The bad news is that our RAV has now been officially written off, it's took'em long enough. A lot of you gave me help on what options I had open to me, thanks very much. But I have to say with great regret and sadness that I have to let our RAV go. It's been a very stressful decision to make.

Now for the salt in the wound. My insurance co. has made me the offer of £1,475 :angry: I'm not happy, so after my point of view, Mr.Insurance chap has gone away to think about it. In the mean time, what do you chaps think would be a proper value for our RAV? Please take a look at my four pics in pre-crash state. It is a 1999 'RAV4 Heat' it has done 99,700 miles, everything worked, it drove superb, new £500 clutch last year and 2 new tyres ten weeks ago. :crybaby: Oh god, here I go again, sorry. By the way, I sourced an almost identicle match (Freesport) on Parker's for £2,495 at a dealer. So, wot do you think?

post-61378-128468125488_thumb.jpg

post-61378-12846812619_thumb.jpg

post-61378-128468126876_thumb.jpg

post-61378-128468127446_thumb.jpg

post-61378-128468128363_thumb.jpg

You could try phoning we buy any car dot com and see what they would have offered you pre-crash - that would give you a base price.

An 11 year old car on 100k miles in good nick .... maybe around £2k. You caN USE YOUR ARGUMENT ABOUT MARKET PRICE WITH THE LOSS ADJUSTER/INSURANCE and get examples from eBay or anywhere else.

As BB says, get some examples printed out off the Internet. There is also Auto trader , on the internet that you can look at. It was certainly in good condition as the loss adjuster should be able to see.

Good luck. Trev..

I've had a car written off before and did all the above (argued, gave examples etc) but the car is valued at what you'd get trading it in not what you'd buy it for at a dealer. It's harsh but that's how insurance works. Of course what they've offered is a pittance for your baby but it's about what I'd have expected an insurer to offer. If it's their first offer they will usually budge a bit if you create (and I would!) but at best your talking a couple of hundred more. Ps Your new clutch/tyres etc are irrelevant to them as they're going on book price. Best of luck in you hunt for your next Rav! Dave.

I've had a car written off before and did all the above (argued, gave examples etc) but the car is valued at what you'd get trading it in not what you'd buy it for at a dealer. It's harsh but that's how insurance works. Of course what they've offered is a pittance for your baby but it's about what I'd have expected an insurer to offer. If it's their first offer they will usually budge a bit if you create (and I would!) but at best your talking a couple of hundred more. Ps Your new clutch/tyres etc are irrelevant to them as they're going on book price. Best of luck in you hunt for your next Rav! Dave.

Unfortunately have to agree with above, I had an immac Golf Gti convertible with about £1000 of extras (this was 25yrs ago) it was stolen + i tried to get a decent price off insurance, managed £200 above first offer, but they are aware that you are desperate to replace it so basicly they have you by the goolies.. Just out of curiosity what effect will this claim make to your premiums?, have you asked ? Good Luck Stew

I keep giving bad news I know but I used to deal with insurance claims all day long. The price they give you has no baring on what you would have to pay to get another car of the same quality/year etc. I'ts how it is, HOWEVER, you should not accept the first price offered and stand your ground until they make an improved offer, it wont be much more, but is usually an improved offer. As Local Hero says, all the extras, recent purchases and expenses wont be reimbursed/covered. it makes me laugh when buying insurance they ask you what it's value is, you give a price with all the extras included, but that makes no difference whatsover when you write the bally thing off :crybaby:

Kingo :thumbsup:

I keep giving bad news I know but I used to deal with insurance claims all day long. The price they give you has no baring on what you would have to pay to get another car of the same quality/year etc.

But isn't that how insurance is sold? It's supposed to put you back in the same position as you were before the crash!!

As Local Hero says, all the extras, recent purchases and expenses wont be reimbursed/covered. it makes me laugh when buying insurance they ask you what it's value is, you give a price with all the extras included, but that makes no difference whatsover when you write the bally thing off :crybaby:

It onlt makes a difference to how much they charge you in the first place!! :censor:

Yes they sell you insurance on that basis but I can tell your payout will never be enough to go and buy another, especially from a dealer, they will pay you less than market price if they can get away with it. Some companies are far worse than others, but from what I have seen, unless your car is under a year old and you get new for old cover, your payout will be the market buying price, not the selling price

Thankyou to everyone who commented on my first post about our RAV4.1 being involved in an rta. Driven by my other half, who's fault it was, by the way. I would never do such a thing. The good news is there where no injuries. The bad news is that our RAV has now been officially written off, it's took'em long enough. A lot of you gave me help on what options I had open to me, thanks very much. But I have to say with great regret and sadness that I have to let our RAV go. It's been a very stressful decision to make.

Now for the salt in the wound. My insurance co. has made me the offer of £1,475 :angry: I'm not happy, so after my point of view, Mr.Insurance chap has gone away to think about it. In the mean time, what do you chaps think would be a proper value for our RAV? Please take a look at my four pics in pre-crash state. It is a 1999 'RAV4 Heat' it has done 99,700 miles, everything worked, it drove superb, new £500 clutch last year and 2 new tyres ten weeks ago. :crybaby: Oh god, here I go again, sorry. By the way, I sourced an almost identicle match (Freesport) on Parker's for £2,495 at a dealer. So, wot do you think?

Ady, have a read through this: My link

It'll take a while to read but it does show that you can improve your position with persistence.

Ady, have a read through this: My link

It'll take a while to read but it does show that you can improve your position with persistence.

Great find Dave, don't know how you do it :thumbsup: Seriously suggest you read this thru to its conclusion Ady, guy seems to have got exactly what you are hoping for :yes: but looks like it took a lot of persistance..Good luck Stew

You could try phoning we buy any car dot com and see what they would have offered you pre-crash - that would give you a base price.

An 11 year old car on 100k miles in good nick .... maybe around £2k. You caN USE YOUR ARGUMENT ABOUT MARKET PRICE WITH THE LOSS ADJUSTER/INSURANCE and get examples from ebay or anywhere else.

Well last week I did actually get a pre-crash value on 'we buy any car .com' They offered me £535! Funny tv adds. but these guys are just jokers.

Great find Dave, don't know how you do it :thumbsup:

I think I must have been one of those annoying little bu**ers who just kept saying 'Why.......?' Probably still am :rolleyes:

I'VE GOT AN AMAZING RESULT, WITHOUT A FIGHT, PLEASE READ ON.......Thanks again to everyone for your replies. I was prepered for battle, with 10 RAV4.1's for sale, printed off for qwick reference. I did my own Parker's value, which, by the way is rubbish for 4.1's. I also had some very nice pics of our RAV for great condition evidence. Well, during that first phone call when the insurance co. insulted me with that offer, I did go on for quite a bit about our RAV and it's condition and what I did to look after it and.........and....................

Well, just got to tell you, I've now had the second call from the insurance.co (the same chap). He was very abrupt and came straight out with it....the offer of £2,200, yeh, £2,200 :yahoo: I accepted! I was shocked! I was only expecting them to up it round £200. I don't know what made them jump up to £2,200. I did say to him on the 1st call I could sell it at that price. My insurance excess is a !Removed! at £400 but they actually matched what I thought I could sell it for! I feel like one of the few who get a good result without a battle, but it was still very stressful preparing for it all. Cheers to you all, Ady :thumbsup:

I'VE GOT AN AMAZING RESULT, WITHOUT A FIGHT, PLEASE READ ON.......Thanks again to everyone for your replies. I was prepered for battle, with 10 RAV4.1's for sale, printed off for qwick reference. I did my own Parker's value, which, by the way is rubbish for 4.1's. I also had some very nice pics of our RAV for great condition evidence. Well, during that first phone call when the insurance co. insulted me with that offer, I did go on for quite a bit about our RAV and it's condition and what I did to look after it and.........and....................

Well, just got to tell you, I've now had the second call from the insurance.co (the same chap). He was very abrupt and came straight out with it....the offer of £2,200, yeh, £2,200 :yahoo: I accepted! I was shocked! I was only expecting them to up it round £200. I don't know what made them jump up to £2,200. I did say to him on the 1st call I could sell it at that price. My insurance excess is a !Removed! at £400 but they actually matched what I thought I could sell it for! I feel like one of the few who get a good result without a battle, but it was still very stressful preparing for it all. Cheers to you all, Ady :thumbsup:

Result.Nice one Ady hope you dont end paying for it when insuring next motor.

Well, just got to tell you, I've now had the second call from the insurance.co (the same chap). He was very abrupt and came straight out with it....the offer of £2,200, yeh, £2,200 :yahoo: I accepted! I was shocked! I was only expecting them to up it round £200. I don't know what made them jump up to £2,200. I did say to him on the 1st call I could sell it at that price. My insurance excess is a bitch at £400 but they actually matched what I thought I could sell it for! I feel like one of the few who get a good result without a battle, but it was still very stressful preparing for it all. Cheers to you all, Ady :thumbsup:

Result.Nice one Ady hope you dont end paying for it when insuring next motor.

Great result Ady :yahoo: I too am a tad concerned about your next insurance quote, not because of the settlement but what it will do to any NCB you may have, but again well done :thumbsup: Stew

"Great result Ady I too am a tad concerned about your next insurance quote, not because of the settlement but what it will do to any NCB you may have, but again well done Stew"

I have comprehensive 'full no claims protected' insurance. That's just it, the full percentage discount for the protected no claims will not be affected, but they can rise the cost of the actual insurance to what ever they want to. So really, the ball is truely back in their court, only renewed my policy a month before the accident! Also, not helping this matter, is that we have just received info from a soliciter. The other vehicle's two occupants are now claiming for whiplash and time off work :(

"Great result Ady I too am a tad concerned about your next insurance quote, not because of the settlement but what it will do to any NCB you may have, but again well done Stew"

I have comprehensive 'full no claims protected' insurance. That's just it, the full percentage discount for the protected no claims will not be affected, but they can rise the cost of the actual insurance to what ever they want to. So really, the ball is truely back in their court, only renewed my policy a month before the accident! Also, not helping this matter, is that we have just received info from a soliciter. The other vehicle's two occupants are now claiming for whiplash and time off work :(

Did they walk around at the scene of the accident? Bend down to survey the damage? Any witnesses as to the severity of the collision or what happened afterwards. You need to do all you can to make sure they are not trying it on. Let's hope your insurance company is on the ball :thumbsup:

I keep giving bad news I know but I used to deal with insurance claims all day long. The price they give you has no baring on what you would have to pay to get another car of the same quality/year etc.

But isn't that how insurance is sold? It's supposed to put you back in the same position as you were before the crash!!

As Local Hero says, all the extras, recent purchases and expenses wont be reimbursed/covered. it makes me laugh when buying insurance they ask you what it's value is, you give a price with all the extras included, but that makes no difference whatsover when you write the bally thing off :crybaby:

It onlt makes a difference to how much they charge you in the first place!! :censor:

Not with car insurance ,no.

The law says you must have at least third party insurance, therefore the insurance co's take the p... 'cos they can!

If you have an accident they will write off at the earliest opportunity 'cos they can!

If you think that the vehicle is worth saving, take their offer and try and buy the vehicle back from them and put it back together yourself used to be one option, whether that is still the case I don't know.

Really sorry to hear about your rta, even if it was your other half, it's still 'your' baby and you never want this to happen, good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Some satisfaction at getting a decent payout.

Unfortunately most people know that involvement in an accident results in compensation claims .... which are lucrative to the so-called solicitors who advertise on the TV etc. I think there s a standard payout for injuries ...used to be £1000 for whiplash altho I heard recently its creeping up to £5000 + expenses - hence the introduction of professional accident victims creating their own accident scenes.

Good luck on any renewal and don't forget to shop around! I've just paid £2.64 to add 2 drivers to my Previa policy with a well known aged policy provider (its me thats aged!!)