Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Test Drive Advice Please!

Carltona123

After months and months of umming and aaahhing about the Prius, I have finally booked a testdrive tomorrow.

Here's my main question.

It's a 2008.

On the testdrive, how can I check the fuel consumption we achieve on the testdrive and therefore what I can likely expect if I buy.

Also - is there any way I can check the fuel consumption during the life of the car?

For info, it's a Feb 2008 T4 having covered 33k.

Thanks

Guys

MD

After months and months of umming and aaahhing about the Prius, I have finally booked a testdrive tomorrow.

Here's my main question.

It's a 2008.

On the testdrive, how can I check the fuel consumption we achieve on the testdrive and therefore what I can likely expect if I buy.

Also - is there any way I can check the fuel consumption during the life of the car?

For info, it's a Feb 2008 T4 having covered 33k.

Thanks

Guys

MD

You'll enjoy the testdrive.

Mine is a t-spirit 2008 July - till tomorrow when I pick up my new gen3 :)

Fuel cons. If you have the display set on the screen that displays the engine, Battery and wheels you will get an 'instant' update of what you are using. If you have the other screen set, then every 5 mins you get a tall bar. The taller the bar the less petrol you are using. At the bottom of that screen there is a reset button, if you touch that button you will start from scratch for your test drive. Look at it when you have finished and that will tell you your consumption for the duration of that drive.

REMEMBER though, you have not driven a Prius before, so whatever consumption you get will not be a true reflection of what you could get after a few weeks of driving it!

As to the consumption over the life of the car, sorry I don't think so, you and the previous owners will have reset the counter many times.

Hope this helps and you enjoy the test! I have a suspicion that we will have another Prius owner on here soon!

What Jan&Tone say is very very true. When driving it how you are used to driving it you'll get better consumption than any petrol automatic vehicle on the road. Once you figure out how it really works and you get a feel for the car (nearly impossible to do during a test drive) you can make very fast progress with amazing fuel consumption.

Assuming you get to grips with the mpg display using the helpful tip from Jan&tone, you also need to be careful about how representative your test drive is compared with how you would use the car if you buy it. For shorter runs (say 30 mins or less), the state of charge of the HV Battery and initial temperature of the engine will have an impact (low Battery at start + cold engine = more fuel used). As an example, at the start of this month my average for the same journey (30 min city commute) ranged from 57-68 mpg over one week, despite similar weather and traffic conditions. Also the fuel consumption estimate on the Prius is a bit optimistic - on my Gen 3 it is typically 5%-6% out (e.g. if it indicates 55 mpg it is really doing more like 52).

At this time of year the weather shouldn't be an issue but as it gets colder consumption will go up (due in part to the car needing heat from the petrol engine to warm the cabin). I averaged around 40 mpg last winter compared with more like 60 mpg in the summer.

If you know the kind of driving you're expecting to do (e.g. city/A-roads/motorway, and duration of jouneys/cold starts etc.) feel free to post here and you might get some more detailed advice.

If you just want an idea to within +/- 15% then you can probably ignore all the above. I've had my Prius for almost a year now and trying to improve fuel consumption stats can get addictive :)

If you just want an idea to within +/- 15% then you can probably ignore all the above. I've had my Prius for almost a year now and trying to improve fuel consumption stats can get addictive :)

:) addictive it is! Trouble is, you can only go so slow then others get uppity!!

When I test drove a gen3 the best I got was 52 mpg and thought that was great. Now I can get about 73 mpg for the same run. You can drive the Prius just like any other car, but to get the best out of it you need to adjust your driving style (and no that doesn't mean just going slow - I'm a cabbie remember! :rolleyes: )

I agree with Grumpy...The eye opener for me was, when I learned how it all works together, is that you don't have to slow down to get better MPG...In fact it really didn't matter, it is all about engine (in the broadest sense) load, you can go really slow and use lots of fuel if you go slow wrongly...

Reminds me a little of when I had my BMW 5l v12, it was most economical at around 90mph. No use in this country though...

I agree with Grumpy...The eye opener for me was, when I learned how it all works together, is that you don't have to slow down to get better MPG...In fact it really didn't matter, it is all about engine (in the broadest sense) load, you can go really slow and use lots of fuel if you go slow wrongly...

Reminds me a little of when I had my BMW 5l v12, it was most economical at around 90mph. No use in this country though...

A BMW V12? Hmmm, that's where you went wrong. The Mercedes S600 V12 is much better :thumbsup:

Oh guys bad news - the car was sold before I even got there. It was an 08 T4 with just 30K. £8500.Am gutted but deterrmind to carry on.

Dealer has 09 plate but it has only partial history and was a rental car. Think I avoid.

Gutted.

Thanks again you lot.

M

A BMW V12? Hmmm, that's where you went wrong. The Mercedes S600 V12 is much better :thumbsup:

Only when you get driven. I drive my cars myself and then much prefer BMW.

Don't you hate that when you book a test drive and then it is gone when you get there.

Oh guys bad news - the car was sold before I even got there. It was an 08 T4 with just 30K. £8500.Am gutted but deterrmind to carry on.

Dealer has 09 plate but it has only partial history and was a rental car. Think I avoid.

Gutted.

Thanks again you lot.

M

Shame. Never mind, there are a few around, :) my 08 t-spirit will be on the dealers forecourt later today.....