Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2008 Tr Annoying Noise - "pinking"?

Blobster

Hi all.

Got a Yaris TR 2008 petrol and over the last 12 months it has developed an increasingly worse yet intermittent 'tinkling' sound that seems to come from the near-side of the engine. Could it be pinking or is that a thing of the past? It's a difficult sound to describe, but it's a really annoying, high pitch, squeaking. When present it seems to have a regular rhythm, it is not obviously related to engine temperature, speed, terrain or any kind of road conditions or weather - it can start and stop at any time. It can be present for days, even weeks, but NEVER when we take it in to the local dealership to get their opinion!! I'm sure they think we're mad!

Does anyone have any idea what this might be? Or has any one got / had the same problem?

The Blobster

Hi all.

Got a Yaris TR 2008 petrol and over the last 12 months it has developed an increasingly worse yet intermittent 'tinkling' sound that seems to come from the near-side of the engine. Could it be pinking or is that a thing of the past? It's a difficult sound to describe, but it's a really annoying, high pitch, squeaking. When present it seems to have a regular rhythm, it is not obviously related to engine temperature, speed, terrain or any kind of road conditions or weather - it can start and stop at any time. It can be present for days, even weeks, but NEVER when we take it in to the local dealership to get their opinion!! I'm sure they think we're mad!

Does anyone have any idea what this might be? Or has any one got / had the same problem?

The Blobster

1, Is the “Tinkling/Squeaking” more noticeable in Warm Weather?

2, If you depress the Clutch Pedal to the floor while driving, does the Squeak go away?

Probable cause of Squeak, = "Thrust Bearing" on "Clutch Actuating Arm" Free-wheeling, while disengaged,

I have had this Intermittent "Squeaking" on my 2008 from New, I can hear it, but my wife can't,

I have now learned to ignore it.

One sure way to get the squeak to stop, is to drive the car to a Toyota Dealership, = works for me every time

Thanks for taking the time to give us your thoughts. We'll suggest these when next at the dealership. I'll check whether the noise stops with the clutch depressed.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Had a similar problem on my 2007 Yaris petrol 1.0. For the last month there's been an intermittent ticking noise that speeded up and slowed down with engine revs. It would come and go without any seeming pattern. Tried changing the alternator - no change. Put in fresh oil - still no change.

Anyway, yesterday I discovered what it was. Driving back from Derby the water pump seized completely, and snapped the auxiliary belt. Have replaced both and the noise seems to have gone, so I guess it was the water pump on its way out.

Incidentally - the replacement pump I ordered is a bit more substantial than the one that went (although the fixings and pulley are identical). Maybe Toyota upgraded them in later models.

Hope this may be of help

Chris

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links