Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stone Chips On Brand New Auris

sevenup

Hi there , I too have been discovering paint chips on my May 2015 Auris Hybrid Touring Estate . As now retired I spend a lot more time cleaning my Auris ( which I love ) . They are appearing in random areas . Will take it back to the dealership ., they are very good but not sure how hard to push ?

It was coated inside and out with the ceramic process .

Nothing will stop stone chips !!!

Its a combination of water based paint and the paint applied with just enough density to cover bare metal.

I chose a black car because these type of marks are covered up with touch up and you can hardly see them.

Some colours don't work so well.

As I have said before just touch them up and when they become really objectionable respray the bonnet.

We all love our cars and want to look after them but stone chips are beyond our control so for that reason have to be lived with.

Got a few on the front of my Auris TS HSD in 6 months. Can't do a lot about it I suppose. Will just get a touch up stick and keep filling them in.

Stone chips have been a problem on my TS since day one. Chipex or the colour crayon in colour magic help stop the problem spreading but it is a problem with modern paint and lacquer used on most cars. The answer is bug and stone deflectors as used in N America and Australia. My son in Canada has a Yaris and RAV and both have had these fitted since new. The Yaris has a Toyota one which looks awful the Rav has an AVS Carflctor which looks very smart (the genuine Toyota one for the Rav & Corolla looks good as well). These are hard plastic wings that fit on the leading edge of the bonnet and deflect most stones away not the horrible soft Bibs. In Australia Toyota sell a clear plastic one one for my shape Auris which looks OK but it is not available here and shipping costs are prohibitive. I have been trying to buy a deflector here but they are just not available for the Auris. The aftermarket AVS say they are model dependent and they make one to suite every model Of Toyota sold in N.America (there are many more Toyota models than sold here) but nobody can tell me if any match the Auris bonnet profile. Toyota GB sold a nice one here as an accessory for the old style Avensis but not now. The dealers cant help as they only sell genuine Toyota parts. Most cars in Canada have a deflector so the aftermarket accessory market is huge and there is a good choice but I have not been able to get any help from Toyota GB or any of the UK distributors here as they say there is no market. Maybe they make more profit from touch up than prevention. Google and eBay will show you lots of pics for whats available.

As regards stone deflectors, your best option would be to investigate whether anyone in the US plans to manufacturer a stone deflector for the Scion IM, which is the Scion version of the Auris that was launched in the Summer.

• 2 weeks later...

The single best protection against stone chips is recommend in most car hand books: keep your distance from cars in front. It makes a huge difference IMO.

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

3895d4010c1d2dd714e68e73ed49c47f.jpg

37eb021d57cbc32fcfbaa9c9639481c3.jpg

Sound advice Bodgerx but it doesn't, unfortunately, prevent paint chips from gravel etc. thrown up from vehicles travelling in the opposite direction. Especially in my area with poorly maintained two way rural roads.

I agree that modern water based paint has a lot to do with it. The finish might be very good but the paint itself is not fit for purpose.

I also own a 53 year old car with "proper" paint applied to a decent thickness which does not have one stone chip evident. No lacquer top coat either. It is driven on the same roads and at similar speeds as the limit determines.

Sound advice Bodgerx but it doesn't, unfortunately, prevent paint chips from gravel etc. thrown up from vehicles travelling in the opposite direction. Especially in my area with poorly maintained two way rural roads.

I agree that modern water based paint has a lot to do with it. The finish might be very good but the paint itself is not fit for purpose.

I also own a 53 year old car with "proper" paint applied to a decent thickness which does not have one stone chip evident. No lacquer top coat either. It is driven on the same roads and at similar speeds as the limit determines.

True, but those kinds of incidents are much less common than those from cars you are travelling behind.

I find chips from opposite direction traffic flick up higher and typically hit the windscreen/roof area.

Even thick paint is going to mark in someway from stone chips.

The quality of paint also varies between manufacturers. In July we part exchanged our Hyundai i20 when it was over 3 years old. Used within the Birmingham conurbation and parts of Staffordshire, so a mixture of roads. Cleaned regularly by myself, and no visible stone chips.

Never mind about a few stone chips,many years ago I was stuck behind a lorry with a house brick wedged between two of his rear tyres.

I was behind him doing 60mph,its only when we slowed to a stop that I saw the brick.

Now THAT would have caused a stone chip,if it had broken free.