Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis

NIMBLE

Hi all.

I have just bought a 2003 Avensis with 65000 miles on the clock. There is no record of a Timing belt change in the service Book. When should this be changed.

Many thanks.

NIMBLE.

• Like 1

Hi,

As far as I know, the Avensis 2003 onwards have a timing chain, no belt.

The chain should last the life of the engine/car, whatever comes first. :rolleyes:

Hi Thermal.

Thanks for your post. That would certainly put my mind at ease. I will need to try and confirm what you are suggesting.

Hopefully, somebody else will confirm this.

Many thanks.

NIMBLE.

It would help tremendously, if you could post your car's engine code.

For instance, something like 1ZZ–FE, or 1CD–FTV.

Then it's easy to look up.

If it's an early 2003 Diesel, it may still have a belt after all (..)

Hello again Guys.

Thanks for your replys its much appreciated. First, my Vehicle is Petrol. Secondly, I cannot give you my Engine code because the Log Book is at DVLA Swansea. However, the previous owner left it to me to send the Log Book off and before I sent it I had a good look at it and can remember seeing something similar to 1ZZ–FE, it definately had a double Z in it. I don't know if that's any help?

Is there a Plate in the Engine Bay giving this detail.

When I get the Log Book back I will post the Code to validate.

Many thanks.

NIMBLE.

Hi,

If it's a 1ZZ-FE, it's a timing chain.

The engine code is somewhere on the block.

post-84513-128500190437_thumb.png

Thermal.

Thanks for the info mate. The Drawing was an added bonus. I had a quick look earlier in the Engine Bay for the code but couldn't see anything. I wil still update Post when I get the Log Book back.

NIMBLE.

1zz-fe is a 1.8 petrol engine. These are the most common of the petrol engines. Either way, all the later petrol vvti engines are timing chains which do not have a schedule for changing them so fear not!

Hi all.

I have just bought a 2003 Avensis with 65000 miles on the clock. There is no record of a Timing belt change in the service Book. When should this be changed.

Many thanks.

NIMBLE.

Hi,

This car 99% will have Timing belt as per my other readings it must get changed by 60K. Its better to do it with reputed garage or dealer.

regards,

This car 99% will have Timing belt as per my other readings ...

With respect, but where did you read that?

Hi all.

Many thanks.

NIMBLE.

Hi,

This car 99% will have Timing belt as per my other readings it must get changed by 60K. Its better to do it with reputed garage or dealer.

regards,

No, all vvti engines1.8 and 2.0 in the the mk 2 Avensis have timing chains.

• 2 weeks later...

NIMBLE.

Hi,

regards,

hi,

I am studying vehicle mechanics at mid kent college in kent and my instructor has a 'timing belt book for all cars' and in there it states that toyota avensis 1.8 and 2.0 petrol 200-2007 definitely has chains

If your still not sure have a look what the cover is like. If the timing cover is plastic normally black then its a belt, if its all metal then its a chain.