Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arrrgg Driving Me Mad

mandienstu

Well I do have another account on here but could not figure out my username so had to join again lol, but anyway her is my little rant... I have a T180 06 D-cat with 50k on clock, had it for about 6 months now and its great for my dogs and I do live it when its working nicely but over the last month we have had no end of trouble with it and my OH is ready to drive it through the showroom window!!

First we had the standard EGR valve issue, so we have had it replaced, but since the MPG is worse than ever, it went from 34 down to 32 and then when we got it back this week its down to 29 Im not too bothered about that but my OH is fuming lol...

We also had trouble with the clutch pedel creeking, so they replaced some parts on that this week.

Ongoing issues are:

A knocking when we are steering at slow speed, which Toyta have said they cant hear? We also have a very high bang from the diff when de-acceletrating? which Toyta have said they cant hear.

The electrics in the rav have shorted out a few times and then come back on for no reason?

When its cold the car goes in to 2nd with a crunch all other gears are fine.

The key is not always detected even though its in the drinks holder in the car. Toyta have said there is no problem?

They replaced our drivers visor and half left the side airbag unit all hanging out?

When you put your foot down on the accelarator there is quite a bit of time lag before it moves, and its proving a tad unsafe when at roundabouts etc.

This morning it seemed that the clutch master cylinder has gone we think (we had it happen on an 57 avensis we had exact same issue) so thats now fun!!

Dont get me wrong I love the rav otherwise, the amount of power it has, speed and its perfect to throw my 3 german sheps in the back and go off to the beach, easy to clean with all the leather etc but its driving me nuts, We had to wait over a month from Japan for the clutch after Toyota ordered the wrong part once and they have had it in the shop for weeks at a time and given me a rubbish Yaris 1ltr that I cant drive to save my life.

Its still under warrenty, but my OH is at his wits end and cant take it anymore, he hates the car and would rather drive his 1lt P reg Micra (in mud white) which is wrong on so many levels what shall I do? ask Toyota to take the thing back and give me another one that will work? or get them to keep fixing it?

sorry about the rant :D

Well I do have another account on here but could not figure out my username so had to join again lol, but anyway her is my little rant... I have a T180 06 D-cat with 50k on clock, had it for about 6 months now and its great for my dogs and I do live it when its working nicely but over the last month we have had no end of trouble with it and my OH is ready to drive it through the showroom window!!

First we had the standard EGR valve issue, so we have had it replaced, but since the MPG is worse than ever, it went from 34 down to 32 and then when we got it back this week its down to 29 Im not too bothered about that but my OH is fuming lol...

We also had trouble with the clutch pedel creeking, so they replaced some parts on that this week.

Ongoing issues are:

A knocking when we are steering at slow speed, which Toyta have said they cant hear? We also have a very high bang from the diff when de-acceletrating? which Toyta have said they cant hear.

The electrics in the rav have shorted out a few times and then come back on for no reason?

The key is not always detected even though its in the drinks holder in the car. Toyta have said there is no problem?

They replaced our drivers visor and half left the side airbag unit all hanging out?

When you put your foot down on the accelarator there is quite a bit of time lag before it moves, and its proving a tad unsafe when at roundabouts etc.

This morning it seemed that the clutch master cylinder has gone we think (we had it happen on an 57 avensis we had exact same issue) so thats now fun!!

Dont get me wrong I love the rav otherwise, the amount of power it has, speed and its perfect to throw my 3 german sheps in the back and go off to the beach, easy to clean with all the leather etc but its driving me nuts, We had to wait over a month from Japan for the clutch after Toyota ordered the wrong part once and they have had it in the shop for weeks at a time and given me a rubbish Yaris 1ltr that I cant drive to save my life.

Its still under warrenty, but my OH is at his wits end and cant take it anymore, he hates the car and would rather drive his 1lt P reg Micra (in mud white) which is wrong on so many levels what shall I do? ask Toyota to take the thing back and give me another one that will work? or get them to keep fixing it?

Hi and welcome to the club a second time.

Most of the issues you mention are known to Toyota and there are fixes for them. Not sure about the diff 'bang' and electrics though. It sounds to me that your dealer is either useless, incompetent or both.

I'm sure other T180 owners will share experiences and, hopefully, Anchorman will chip in with his usual excellent technical advice.

I can tell you that the 'A' pillar covers over the front curtain airbags are about £80 each so make sure they haven't damaged yours - It should be nice and tight fitting. If not, point it out and get them to replace it or it will keep popping out of place in hot weather.

It's a great car but you need to get these issues sorted or you will lose confidence in it.

Ongoing issues are:

A knocking when we are steering at slow speed, which Toyta have said they cant hear? ITS BEEN MENTIONED HERE RECENTLY ABOUT THE FRONT SPRING SEAT AND THE FIX BEING A PLASTIC INSERT THINGY WHICH REQUIRES YOU TO TAKE THE STRUT OUT

We also have a very high bang from the diff when de-acceletrating? which Toyta have said they cant hear. ON THAT MILEAGE IT MIGHT BE THE REAR DIFF MOUNT SOFTENING. IF NOT ON WARRANTY YOU CAN STIFFEN IT WITH SILICON FILLER

The electrics in the rav have shorted out a few times and then come back on for no reason? I WOULD CHECK THE BATTERY CONNECTIONS ARE CLEAN AND TIGHT.

When its cold the car goes in to 2nd with a crunch all other gears are fine. I THINK THIS IS A COMMON THING ON THIS VERSION

The key is not always detected even though its in the drinks holder in the car. Toyta have said there is no problem? NO IDEAS - SORRY

They replaced our drivers visor and half left the side airbag unit all hanging out? OOOPS - BACK TO THE GARAGE AND GET THEM TO FIX IT!!

When you put your foot down on the accelarator there is quite a bit of time lag before it moves, and its proving a tad unsafe when at roundabouts etc. HAHA - I DON'T HAVE THAT PROBLEM SO CAN'T REALLY HELP

This morning it seemed that the clutch master cylinder has gone we think (we had it happen on an 57 avensis we had exact same issue) so thats now fun!! SEEMS VERY YOUNG TO BE FAILING?

Apologies for answering in caps...but it was easier.

I would certainly get all your complaints into writing and send them special delivery (so you have proof of receipt with a signature) to the General manager of the garage, and a copy to the Toyota Customer Service people in the UK> a clutch on 50k and all the other wee bits at such a low mileage points to poor build or you have been racing the dogs up mountain tracks!

6 Months is a long time to be suffering with this lot. What kind of warranty did you get? Why do you think the master cylinder is gone?

You need to be dead careful with this or you will find that the warranty is out and you are still in trouble. List all the jobs and take it back. When you go to collect it, ask the service manager to ride with you and if it isn't fixed don't accept it back.

I think the steering is the top washers like Bothy says. Does the car not recognise the key all the time or just when parked in a certain place? It can be affected by stray radio waves.

Zero the mpg and test it again.

6 Months is a long time to be suffering with this lot. What kind of warranty did you get? Why do you think the master cylinder is gone?

You need to be dead careful with this or you will find that the warranty is out and you are still in trouble. List all the jobs and take it back. When you go to collect it, ask the service manager to ride with you and if it isn't fixed don't accept it back.

I think the steering is the top washers like Bothy says. Does the car not recognise the key all the time or just when parked in a certain place? It can be affected by stray radio waves.

Zero the mpg and test it again.

Hey, sorry its taken ages to reply, its been a nightmare.

We got a yrs warrenty with the car as we got it from main dealer, the car has been with them since Monday and we pick it up tomorrow, the reason we thought it was the master cylinder was it happened on our avensis the exact same issue where there is nothing on the clutch pedel untill half way down then it starts to engage the clutch and its very snatchy.

They said they have fixed it but we dont know what they have done. Well they say they have fixed everything???

Apparently they have some videos that myself and my otherhalf which shows how we should be driving the RAV sorry but I find it very funny and a little odd..

Will give you an update after tomorrows test drive :(

TELL THEM TO CHECK OUT rav4 AT cRAIL ON yOUTUBE FOR HOW TO DRIVE A rav - :lol: :lol: :lol:

(see these wireless keyboards that have no caps button lock warning :shutit: :censor: :censor: )

I've also dipped my toe into the T180 waters with a 2006 model and have covered 23k in 1 year on a low mileage motor I bought last year. All I can say is that in the 15 cars myself and the missus have owned this has been the most troublesome motor of all, also my first Toyota. This Forum attests to the problems and the poor MPG compared to it's equivalents, EGR problems etc which seem to be accepted as the norm. They all add to my lack of faith in this vehicle and even though I do love it a little it wont be a keeper and I will go back to either Subaru or Honda when I change it. Too expensive to run and maintain and too complex for it's own good.

I've also dipped my toe into the T180 waters with a 2006 model and have covered 23k in 1 year on a low mileage motor I bought last year. All I can say is that in the 15 cars myself and the missus have owned this has been the most troublesome motor of all, also my first Toyota. This Forum attests to the problems and the poor MPG compared to it's equivalents, EGR problems etc which seem to be accepted as the norm. They all add to my lack of faith in this vehicle and even though I do love it a little it wont be a keeper and I will go back to either Subaru or Honda when I change it. Too expensive to run and maintain and too complex for it's own good.

I can help you rid yourself of that blight. All I'll charge is £3.86 and I will take said brute away....you can even keep the spare wheel. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Well its been about a month now.. and its a even bigger nightmare than before, so this is what has happened up to today...

We picked the car up again and the clutch was working better but still snatchy, they told us the pedel they had replaced was not fitted correctly??

We have since spoke to consumer direct and Toyota Financial services as we have some chucky on the car still and asked us to take it to another Toyota deal, so we did, who could not find anything wrong with the clutch, they could not find any oil leak but did say there was an issue with the CV joint which has its metal tie missing so has sprayed grease all over the car and breaks.. nice! and they also said yes our CD unit was broken.

So we decided to get it check by an independant non toyota garage and they came back saying....

CD unit broken does not play CD's

water leak around the pump (took photos to prove it)

oil leak all over (took photos to prove)

grease form the cv joint (photos again)

possible flywheel issue with the clutch but it is snatching and dangerouse.

The steering noise.. (which we said is common fault and on this forum, but they said its normal eerr no)

and there the ones I can remeber off the top of my head

so we spoke to toyota FS again and they had told the dealer we bought it from they need to fix it, but apprently we have been banned from entering there premisis because my OH drove out of their car park quite annoyed as you can imagine.

So they ring us up and say they will pick the car up, we ask how long for as we need it of corse, they said dont know, took them 4 days to decide they would allows us a curtsey car??

After telling them to ring me as I was at work, the guy just turned up outside work, I have to drop everything and go out to switch cars, nightmare.. then when we called twice to see what was happening no one called us back as they were far to busy to speak to us, so didn't know what was happening with it, ended up leaving workin in there car (didn't even sign anything for the courtesey car :( )

My OH tried to ring them today and they were busy again and we were told that we would get a call within an hour.. 2 hours later they ring to say they will be bringing ours back. They have done the CV joint and thats it?? I then rang to ask why they not fixed the CD unit they said because it not down to be fixed?? errr we told you that it needed to be done as well as the other stuff....

They have given us a copy of Visual safty report oooo and it says there is nothing wrong at all with anything..

Then there is a Pro-forma invoice hahahha with what they have done ok here goes..

check o/s/f CV joint and supplied and fitted 2 inner CV joint clips to o/s.

General work-

checked for oil leak form gear box - NFF all OK

water pump checked - Not leaking

tyre light illumination on vechile BSR Ring removed O/S/R tyre.

wash and vac ... nice of them...

brake cleaner ... with a charge of £4.77....................WHAT YOUR CHARGING ME FOR CLEANING ALL THE GREASE OFF MY BREAKS!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT..

so this is where we are now after months and months... we have nearly had the car 6 months, bought it on the 15th of May this yr..

so as you can imagine my OH is rather annoyed and we dont really know what to do now apart from keep on Toyota FS back about it???

any suggestions/ help would be appreciated guys

PS reset my MPG thingy and tested it and it stated I got 32MPG and when I did the sums myself it was 29MPG nice on a run that I did in the Petrol version and got 36MPG

The petrol thing I can live with but I cant live with a snatching clutch.

Ongoing issues are:

I also have a T180 (had it for 2 years now and is out of warranty) I also get the knocking noise when steering at v low speed (usually into works car park) which Toyota have never been able to hear :rolleyes: and the car sat/nav unit currently has rather large electrical issues on which I'm awaiting news from Toyota.

I fell in love with this car and have had 2 years happy motoring in it, it's been a joy to own. But like you am starting to become a little unhappy with it. Saying that, my local Toyota Dealer have been brilliant so far but the Toyota dealership I bought the car from was horrendous so I switched dealers and any probs were then sorted by them. My advice would be to speak to Toyota GB, move dealerships and get every single problem in the car sorted before accepting it back. Believe me if anything goes wrong with that car out of warranty (especially the electrics) it can be rather expensive. :)

P.S. Tell them you want the Battery in the key replaced, this also happened with mine and Toyota told me it wasn't the Battery as the car wasn't telling me it was low. Needless to say once it was replaced the same problem didn't come back. ;)

I also get the knocking noise when steering at v low speed (usually into works car park) which Toyota have never been able to hear :rolleyes: and the car sat/nav unit currently has rather large electrical issues on which I'm awaiting news from Toyota.

Does the low-speed knocking happen in synch with the wheel rotation?

I took mine in a few months ago with such a knocking sound. Toyota techy couldn't hear it. I could quite clearly. He couldn't. I was sure it was coming from the brakes. He did an inspection and said the brakes were fine.

Anyway, come MOT at the start of October and my brakes failed because of excessive juddering. But the knocking has gone since paying for new disks and pads. (I was about to go on 2 weeks holiday and so didn't have the time to argue the point or get another opinion).

So, now that the 3 year warranty has expired, I'll be giving Bothy's "The Garage" a try out for future work.

I also get the knocking noise when steering at v low speed (usually into works car park) which Toyota have never been able to hear :rolleyes: and the car sat/nav unit currently has rather large electrical issues on which I'm awaiting news from Toyota.

Does the low-speed knocking happen in synch with the wheel rotation?

I took mine in a few months ago with such a knocking sound. Toyota techy couldn't hear it. I could quite clearly. He couldn't. I was sure it was coming from the brakes. He did an inspection and said the brakes were fine.

Anyway, come MOT at the start of October and my brakes failed because of excessive juddering. But the knocking has gone since paying for new disks and pads. (I was about to go on 2 weeks holiday and so didn't have the time to argue the point or get another opinion).

So, now that the 3 year warranty has expired, I'll be giving Bothy's "The Garage" a try out for future work.

Yes it does. Maybe everyone at Toyota needs a hearing test :rolleyes:, it's as if the steering wheel is banging as you turn it. I was convinced it's coming from the steering column but sounds like the noise in mine is the same as the noise you had. :)

• 1 month later...

Sorry have not replied have been working away quite a bit.

We have since taken pics of the faults we and our 1st independant garage could see, send them and the car back to Toyota Huddersfield including a copy of the report and they changed the CV boot and thats it. They have even had the cheek to say they want 5 quid for break cleaner. hahah

Anyway, we spoke to Toyota Finiance who are begining to become a nightmare as well... as they have not been telling the garage what they need to do.

So the situation is that we have been speaking to trading standards on the advisal of consumer direct. We have been asked ot get another independant assesment completed on the car by someone who trading standards want to use.

So we are just waiting for crimbo to be over (as im sure its goign to be a couple of hundred quid ) and then we will see what happens.

keep you posted.

Had a similar situation with my Avensis and my local dealer, (long story cut short) eventually convinced Toyta financial services (FS) to involve a direct employed Toyota area specialist, the faults were recongnised along with the dealers inability to resolve said faults (car was in the garage 5 weeks) the car was returned to Toyotas technical centre in Surrey. All of the faults were repaired and whilst Toyota had the car a couresty car was provided all delvered to my Home address.

We had to e-mail Toyota FS several times copying in Toyota customer relations (CR), a letter was also written to Miguel Fonseca copying in his Quality Director Neal Standen outling the issues with both the car and the dealer, the letter also had the e-mails issued to Toyota FS and CR teams. Having been here before with a Mitsubishi we kept a diary of all telephone calls visits etc

I understand your fraustration, i had to change my name just to get through to the service department to find out what was going on with my car, but patience and a good anger management course paid off in the end.

Best of luck.

This is a real tale of woe.

We've got an 02 VVTi Auto which we love to bits but Toyota GB are doing their best to convince us to buy anything else next time. Our dealer, who we've used for 3+ years now, screwed up big time in failing to diagnose a failing cat despite the relevant MIL sensors failing time after time for 6 months. Then, once the car was out of Mr. T's extended warranty, guess what? - yep, "sorry sir ,it seems your cat is failing. That will be nearly £700, thanks very much"!! Fonseca's a waste of time; we wrote to him about the situation and it was deputised to some condescending functionary who more or less told us to f%&k off.

We have had 2 RAVs, a Land Cruiser, a Yaris & an Aygo since 2001 so we reckon that as loyal Toyota customers, good ol' Miguel might cut us some slack but , no, "our dealers have done everything by the book, blah, blah, !Removed! blah". Fact is, that Toyota now believe their own BS and can't accept that their monkeys in the dealerships are incapable of thinking. They aren't called technicians (instead of mechanics) for nothing. Best thing you can do is buy a CR-V, Outlander or, God forbid, a Freelander. Toyota have lost the plot. We won't have another - ever!