Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Possible Gearbox Problem.

mark1976

Hi all, just recently joined and have owned my 2005 1.8 t3x for six months. I have noticed coming back from wales today that I have a whining noise that I think is coming from the transmission. It only does it when I accelerate and it's not very loud. But it does stop when I come off the gas. Car doesn't feel any different though. Seems to stop when I am on the motorway at 70, that or I can't hear it. I am just really concerned if it's something major. Any help would be great?

whats it like in 1st/2nd gear my Avensis 06 plate 2.2 diesel 6 speed has a small whine

I had it checked out by a gearbox company here in liverpool and was informed that this is normal

this since has been verified by fellow forum members on this forum who report similar noises

and a mate in work who has recently purchased a 55 plate 2.2 diesel

as to whether your gearbox is the same as the 6 speed diesel box i wouldnt have a clue

but by using the same reasoning it seems the boxes are a bit noisy

if worried have it checked by an independant gearbox repairer and check the oil level you never know

whats it like in 1st/2nd gear my Avensis 06 plate 2.2 diesel 6 speed has a small whine

I had it checked out by a gearbox company here in liverpool and was informed that this is normal

this since has been verified by fellow forum members on this forum who report similar noises

and a mate in work who has recently purchased a 55 plate 2.2 diesel

as to whether your gearbox is the same as the 6 speed diesel box i wouldnt have a clue

but by using the same reasoning it seems the boxes are a bit noisy

if worried have it checked by an independant gearbox repairer and check the oil level you never know

Hey, thanks for the advice. It's a five speed box I have a mate in work who has the same car, I might ask him if he has noticed anything with his. How do you check the gearbox oil never had to do that before. So al need to know were it is. Cheers for the help and advice.

the 2 gearboxes are completely different.

the older avensis petrol boxes do suffer from bearing wear and if left too long or the whining is very bad it can start eating away at the end casing too.

Mart.

As suggested above, the two boxes are different. It no longer seems to be the norm to change your gear box oil as part of your annual service (BMW being the only one left to my knowledge, may stand corrected) what with long life servicing allowing these problems to arise. I take it you have checked the clutch release bearing.

Regards, Beagh.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links