Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Recommended Mp3 Device For Auris Hsd

Cord77

Ok, so during my test drive I tried my 4GB Pen drive with 19 folders/albums on it, and my iPhone 4. Since reading the manual I notice it also says iPods can be controlled from the top right knob on the stereo, where you can select from an iPod style menu when choosing genre/album/artist etc. So the iPod gives more control over selecting your albums/tracks which I think will be important to some when you have 16GB+ of music to churn through.

Also I found my old 4GB pen drive was too long to close the glove compartment afterwards, so if using a pen drive directly sticking out of the USB port, you have to get a nice stubby one. I also noticed the USB only supports USB 2.0 FS at up to 12kbps, not the hi-speed 480kbps, which explains why it took about 4 seconds to start playing the next track when fast forwarding.

The Manual also states that iPhones and Shuffles don't work, along with some other iPod models, but my iPhone 4 certainly worked over USB to play the music (I just didn't know about the right knob to select the albums/playlist, so didn't test that).

Its not really too hard to find a 16GB pen drive that would work (I'm currently looking at this one Sandisk Pendrive), but with the average album taking about 80MB of space using VBR 65-320kbps MP3s, that means around 200 albums to flick through using the folder + and folder - buttons on the stereo.

So I'm really looking to see what iPod people recommend, I'm after 16GB so that limits my options but I'd love to hear from someone who has tested all the functionality of a 16GB iPod with the built-in USB port. I plan on leaving it inside the glove box.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having the same issue and would like to hear anyones experiences.

If I remember, tonight, I'll dig out the users manual and check the iPod specifications in there.

Ok, so during my test drive I tried my 4GB Pen drive with 19 folders/albums on it, and my iPhone 4. Since reading the manual I notice it also says iPods can be controlled from the top right knob on the stereo, where you can select from an iPod style menu when choosing genre/album/artist etc. So the iPod gives more control over selecting your albums/tracks which I think will be important to some when you have 16GB+ of music to churn through.

Also I found my old 4GB pen drive was too long to close the glove compartment afterwards, so if using a pen drive directly sticking out of the USB port, you have to get a nice stubby one. I also noticed the USB only supports USB 2.0 FS at up to 12kbps, not the hi-speed 480kbps, which explains why it took about 4 seconds to start playing the next track when fast forwarding.

The Manual also states that iPhones and Shuffles don't work, along with some other iPod models, but my iPhone 4 certainly worked over USB to play the music (I just didn't know about the right knob to select the albums/playlist, so didn't test that).

Its not really too hard to find a 16GB pen drive that would work (I'm currently looking at this one Sandisk Pendrive), but with the average album taking about 80MB of space using VBR 65-320kbps MP3s, that means around 200 albums to flick through using the folder + and folder - buttons on the stereo.

So I'm really looking to see what iPod people recommend, I'm after 16GB so that limits my options but I'd love to hear from someone who has tested all the functionality of a 16GB iPod with the built-in USB port. I plan on leaving it inside the glove box.

Although Toyota offered to fit me a USB port in my Auris HSD T-Spirit with Sat Nav, I opted out to avoid the risk of dash rattles. So, I haven't tested it but if it's just for the car, the Apple Refurb store has some good deals on 5th generation 16GB iPod nanos.

OK, finally found the "Compatible models" section in the Auris Hybrid owners manual. It shows the following:

Model Generation Software Version

iPod 5th 1.2.0 or higher

iPod Nano 1st 1.3.0 or higher

2nd 1.1.2 or higher

3rd 1.0.0 or higher

iPod Touch 1st 1.1.0 or higher

iPod Cliassic 1st 1.0.0 or higher

It also shows the following note:

"Depending on differences between models and softerware version etc., some models listed above might be incompatible with this system".

It also states that iPod 4th generation, iPhone, iPod mini, iPod shuffle and iPod photo are not compatible with this system.

Standard limitaitons are shown as:

• Maximum number of lists in device: 9999
  • Maximum number of songs in device: 65535
  • Maximum number of songs per list: 65535

Jon

• 4 years later...

I have a PNY 16gb memory stick with about 500 songs that I downloded from my own cd collection and they work perfectly. The only thing is the artist photo doesn't appear when it plays. the memory stich cost obout £5.95 from pc world.

It is small enough to open the glove box. I hope this is helpful to you and good luck.