Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 Troubles

J4MRU

Hey people.. this happened at just the right time. First problem i have had with her, and just before i want to sell too!

I just went to pick my kid up from school, and when I was accelerating I heard a thudding or knocking noise sort of acending with the revs of the car as it goes. It feels like its coming from behind and below me in the drivers seat. It doesn't do it the full range of revs but does it when I accelerate hard more than it does when i do it softly. I dont think turning makes a difference to the severity of it.

My initial thoughts are the rear diff. but i know NOTHING about 4wd systems etc.

Can any of you 4wd experts offer clarification or other suggestions?

Cheers

Jamie

Hey people.. this happened at just the right time. First problem i have had with her, and just before i want to sell too!

I just went to pick my kid up from school, and when I was accelerating I heard a thudding or knocking noise sort of acending with the revs of the car as it goes. It feels like its coming from behind and below me in the drivers seat. It doesn't do it the full range of revs but does it when I accelerate hard more than it does when i do it softly. I dont think turning makes a difference to the severity of it.

My initial thoughts are the rear diff. but i know NOTHING about 4wd systems etc.

Can any of you 4wd experts offer clarification or other suggestions?

Cheers

Jamie

hello Jamie

Try to start it as cool after a night open a bonet - just to observe whether or not the engine got vibrated.

The attention must also be paid on the iddle running noise - whether or not it is as usual for diesels.

Cheers/Igor

Cheers for that.

Where can i find workshop manuals for the Rav4? Tried searching but cant see anything relevant. Also what is the Toyta Publications webiste?

Cheers again

Cheers for that.

Where can i find workshop manuals for the Rav4? Tried searching but cant see anything relevant. Also what is the Toyta Publications webiste?

Cheers again

Here you go:LINK

It's a few £s for an hour and you can download a lot of PDFs in that time

The rear diff will produce a clunk unrelated to the speed of the engine when accelarating or when you take your foot off the pedal.

Its more likely to be the centre prop mount/bearing from my experience. This is mounted mid car. What mileage has the car done?

The rear diff will produce a clunk unrelated to the speed of the engine when accelarating or when you take your foot off the pedal.

Its more likely to be the centre prop mount/bearing from my experience. This is mounted mid car. What mileage has the car done?

Mileage is 81k mate, how much ball park would this be?

To fix it I mean...?

Just to top it off, my work decided to terminate my services today. I was good enough to give them extended notice and the binned me! *****s. Just to top off a great month!!

Mileage is 81k mate, how much ball park would this be?

The rear diff bush can be stiffened with silicon at a cost of less than £10.

The centre bearing is just over £100 I think, but Parts king would give you the best price.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links