Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mpg And The Fuel Indicator

alexandamy

I've had nearly 40miles from when the fuel starts beeping!

Went out for work one morning, got in the car and the fuel beeped at me. Saw that the bar was flashing slow so thought I'd fill up closer to work as it's usually 4p per ltr cheaper. Work is 19 miles away. Got to work, thinking I'd fill up at the end of my shift- I'D FORGOT MY WALLET!

I'm not the most economical of drivers- but I was on my way home! Only hit a max of 60mph when usually I drive my aygo between 70-80. Anyway got home, got to the fuel station no probes- wonder how much further I could have pushed her.

I've had my aygo for just over a week now, and i've done 800 miles, only thing is I can't seem to get any better than 42 mpg out it. I drive relatively economically, I don't put my foot down and don't break that often. 80% of my journey is at motorway speeds (50 - 80 mph), the 40-50 zones for the rest. Just wondering if this is just a birthing issue as it's brand new? but I was hoping for at least 50+ as fuel economy was the reason for buying the car.

I've had my aygo for just over a week now, and i've done 800 miles, only thing is I can't seem to get any better than 42 mpg out it. I drive relatively economically, I don't put my foot down and don't break that often. 80% of my journey is at motorway speeds (50 - 80 mph), the 40-50 zones for the rest. Just wondering if this is just a birthing issue as it's brand new? but I was hoping for at least 50+ as fuel economy was the reason for buying the car.

Just after my heart attack we took my wife's Aygo to Folkestone, her driving, A13/m25/m20 , 60/65 mph all the way, a 3week old car 82.8 mpg!!!!

Now with normal driving country lanes town etc it's a more realistic 48.8 So ypur not far out... Try keeping down below 65/70 for a tankful and see what you get....

Driving at 60mph is better than 65-70 if your aim is ridiculous mpg.

80mph will kill your mpg stone dead and even 70mpg will use significantly more. I reckon 70 vs 60 in my diesel Yaris would be the difference of over a hundred miles over a full tank!

Thanks for the tips, I've got a 400 mile motorway drive at the weekend so I'll give it a try to see what I can get.

Keep between 55 and 60 mph on the motorway - 80mph will be wrecking the fuel economy for sure!! Change gears as early as possible, and make more use of engine braking rather than stamping on the brakes at every corner/exit/junction! Hopefully that'll ensure you see better economy :) You're probably also getting used to the car as well.

In my experience the economy is worse when the car is newer... Mine got noticably better after about

5000 miles... I'm currently approaching 51mpg overall, with which I'm quite happy to be honest.

Worst economy on a single trip was below 30mpg, my best so far was over 57mpg...

I have a ScanGaugeII in my car and economy is best at 2000rpm in 5th, so about 43mph

Even 7mph faster results in allmost 25% worse economy!

Keep between 55 and 60 mph on the motorway - 80mph will be wrecking the fuel economy for sure!! Change gears as early as possible, and make more use of engine braking rather than stamping on the brakes at every corner/exit/junction! Hopefully that'll ensure you see better economy :) You're probably also getting used to the car as well.

Cheers, I very rarely brake unless to actually stop, it isn't that hard to gauge your speed accordingly on motorways. :)

Problem is that I've also got an XK8 and CLK, so i'm trying to get use to the slight difference in power and the main/only reason of getting the car drastically increased MPG. I tried keeping the AYGO at 60-65 (55 is just too slow and dangerous on motorways) and I am noticing a difference. I'll know next time I do a proper fill up and keep the speed down. :)

Cheers, I very rarely brake unless to actually stop, it isn't that hard to gauge your speed accordingly on motorways. :)

Problem is that I've also got an XK8 and CLK, so i'm trying to get use to the slight difference in power and the main/only reason of getting the car drastically increased MPG. I tried keeping the AYGO at 60-65 (55 is just too slow and dangerous on motorways) and I am noticing a difference. I'll know next time I do a proper fill up and keep the speed down. :)

55 isn't too slow... but anything below 50 certainly would be. Only in the inside lane, mind, and depends on the traffic flow as well. But 57 is best for economy. I normally stick around 60 and leave home earlier to get to uni on time! During the first few weeks my time management was terrible, meaning I was doing 70 on the motorway there and back (30 mile round trip)... since I've been ruthlessly keeping to 60, I've noticed enormous differences in my fuel economy. You just have to really try your best to remember the savings you're going to make :P but obviously there will come the time where there is someone in front who is truly dawdling, meaning overtaking is a necessity. Still, the odd burst of 70mph is much better than constantly hammering along! Your economy will improve... just give it a bit of time, it was exactly the same for me! :)

Unforunately travelling down the A1M at 6:30 in the morning and doing 55 would mean I get squished by anything else on the road. I am managing to keep it around the low sixties for most of the motorway journey.

Filled up last night and got got 47.8 mpg up from 42.2 last week.

Once again, thanks for the advice.

Yeah, lower than 60 gets a bit scary and even borderline dangerous because most HGV traffic drives at about 60, and if you were doing, say, 55, you'd get constantly overtaken by the massive line of lorries.

Throw in a NatEx coach and you've precipitated a 3-lane overtaking situation and a traffic jam :lol:

Yeah, lower than 60 gets a bit scary and even borderline dangerous because most HGV traffic drives at about 60, and if you were doing, say, 55, you'd get constantly overtaken by the massive line of lorries.

Throw in a NatEx coach and you've precipitated a 3-lane overtaking situation and a traffic jam :lol:

As I said, it depends on the traffic... travelling at really quiet periods and 55 is fine. But when it's busy, 55 is noticeably slow! 60 for most of the time I reckon. It really pays dividends.

I've managed to get 38.2 litres in my Blue back in January, and 37.9 litres in August, I've also managed to run out of fuel :o

Typically I get 120m, 210m, 280m, 340m, & 400m for my blobs extinguishing mainly on a short 4.5m daily commute.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links