Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help, Cylinder Head Gasket On Rav4 T180

james warren

Hi Guys,

I'm new here but really could do with some advice.

I bought a nice Rav4 t180 (Nov 2006)last year with 50k miles and full Toyota service history. I have since done 14k miles in which I have given the car a full serice with Toyota parts and Mobil one diesel esp oil (I had to take it to my dealer to get the oil/filter changed as I don't have the tools for the filter). I am an ex mechanic but that was a while ago. Anyway a few months ago I noticed the header tank was pressurising and releasing coolant all over the back of the engine. What started with a squirt every now and again has become worse now using about 1-2 litres a week, but so far it has not overheated. When I took the car to my local Toyota dealership in Inverness the service manager said to "keep an eye on it" ??? Also he said it could be the head gasket as there have been a few go which I thought was strange.(I suspect the head is cracked as it it holding pressure for 48 hours after the car was used but I'm not sure) Anyway I also said about the rattling gearbox when the clutch is out (which he said "just keep your eye on it") Is this normal behaviour ????

I have since heard that there a quite a few people who have had there car fixed under some Toyota extended warranty (100k/5 years) Is this true ? Also it has been said Toyota knew the coolant would eat gaskets ?? which is why they extended the warranty. if that is the case why are they still putting the same coolant in ? (at least it would seem the case). Does anyone know of anyone who has had this problem fixed by toyota on a TSB or outside normal warranty ? It would seem the 2.2 d4d engines are known to fail.

The car itself is lovely to drive and is in mint condition (cost me £14k so it should be). The only other thing is the fuel economy, it's impossible to get anywhere near the claimed 40mpg even if I drive it like a granny. I just wasn't expecting things like engine/gearbox problems with a Toyota....

Any help would be gratefuly recieved.

hi and welcome to the forum -

perhaps some kind moderator will shift this to the RAV forum?

thanks.

Hi James

It is more than likely the head gasket or cracked head. If the gasket has a tiny split between one of the cylinders it would still hold pressure. I have the same problem on my older 2 liter d4d, I put about a pint in every other day, bubbles coming back into the header tank, but it drives fine and doesn't overheat. I keep putting it off but I'll have to do something before winter.

Gearbox sounds like DMF. I'd go back to the garage and kick *****.

The 6 speed box has two countershafts and as such when idling sounds like a bag of pots (worse facing uphill!!!). There is little can be done with the box itself but there is a mod consisting of additional sound proofing that is fitted around the bulkhead and under the front carpets. Its a biggish job requiring the front seats out so you have to be sure about whether or not you can live with it given that it is normal and it is only at idle. As soon as you take up the drive in any gear the backlash is taken up and it falls silent. Part of that mod is a new bracket for the gearbox cables which has rubber mountings instead of being bolted metal to metal on the gearbox. It gives a rubbery feel to the gearchange instead of the original notchy feel and that is a worthwhile mod. If you fancy a go you need to cough up a couple of hundred quid to our legendary parts man - Mr P. King or Kingo as we all know him (Parts-King) and he will send a kit to your house.

There was an incompatibilty issue with head gaskets but it is not common and addressed on the merits of the case. Gaskets and anti-freeze have been changed. The anti-freeze in mine is a violety-pink colour unlike the pinky-red of the previous one (OK my description of colours is not red hot but you should get the drift!).

I would say that the chance of it being a cylinder head cracked are less than 5%.

Anchorman is absolutely correct about the box. It is worse facing uphill and the noise disapears when the slack in the drivetrain is taken up.

I too was worried that it would be a the dreaded DMF but it would apear not. Still we'll wait and see what Mr T says about my head gasket woes.

Hpefully they will help as it is a premature failure, we'll see. I'll keep you updated.

Cheers for the help

Aye well your all safe because I bought a a complete DMF for my red RAV as an insurance policy and just my luck - there has never been one report of a DMF going on a 4.3. I heard of them being burned out on Avensis taxis but you know taxi drivers can't drive (kevlar vest on - "incoming" :rolleyes: )

If anybody wants an extremely effective typhoon proof paperweight, let me know!!!

As soon as I get rid of it to Chewbakka the taxi driver we're all doomed............

........Dear Marge....

• 1 month later...

Well Toyota have fixed my car free of charge. What other car company would do that ?

The engine has been replaced. Well a new short block and cylinder head. Everthing at the bottom is new i.e crank, pistons, block, etc

They used my cams and valves (though I'm sure the manager said they had replaced those because one wouldn't seat). Apparently Toyota won't let them skim anything so both the head and block were replaced.

Engine and gearbox are so much quiter now and obviously it doesn't use coolant anymore. Delighted.

Just goes to show what can be done with a little patience and a nice letter. Thanks to Anchorman for his help.

My faith in Toyota has been restored.

Hi Guys,

I bought a nice Rav4 t180 (Nov 2006)last year with 50k miles and full Toyota service history. I have since done 14k miles in which I have given the car a full serice with Toyota parts and mobil one diesel esp oil (I had to take it to my dealer to get the oil/filter changed as I don't have the tools for the filter). I am an ex mechanic but that was a while ago. Anyway a few months ago I noticed the header tank was pressurising and releasing coolant all over the back of the engine. What started with a squirt every now and again has become worse now using about 1-2 litres a week, but so far it has not overheated. When I took the car to my local Toyota dealership in Inverness the service manager said to "keep an eye on it" ??? Also he said it could be the head gasket as there have been a few go which I thought was strange.(I suspect the head is cracked as it it holding pressure for 48 hours after the car was used but I'm not sure) Anyway I also said about the rattling gearbox when the clutch is out (which he said "just keep your eye on it") Is this normal behaviour ????

I have since heard that there a quite a few people who have had there car fixed under some Toyota extended warranty (100k/5 years) Is this true ? Also it has been said Toyota knew the coolant would eat gaskets ?? which is why they extended the warranty. if that is the case why are they still putting the same coolant in ? (at least it would seem the case). Does anyone know of anyone who has had this problem fixed by toyota on a TSB or outside normal warranty ? It would seem the 2.2 d4d engines are known to fail.

The car itself is lovely to drive and is in mint condition (cost me £14k so it should be). The only other thing is the fuel economy, it's impossible to get anywhere near the claimed 40mpg even if I drive it like a granny. I just wasn't expecting things like engine/gearbox problems with a Toyota....

Hi had the same problem with my 2006 xt5 at 60k,had a new cylinder head and short motor fitted with toyota free of charge.

hope this will ease your pain a bit.

hi there

my 4yrs old rav 4 with 46000 miles has got same problem, in the toyota garage as we speak,hopefully fix it free of charge as well.

Hi Guys,

I bought a nice Rav4 t180 (Nov 2006)last year with 50k miles and full Toyota service history. I have since done 14k miles in which I have given the car a full serice with Toyota parts and mobil one diesel esp oil (I had to take it to my dealer to get the oil/filter changed as I don't have the tools for the filter). I am an ex mechanic but that was a while ago. Anyway a few months ago I noticed the header tank was pressurising and releasing coolant all over the back of the engine. What started with a squirt every now and again has become worse now using about 1-2 litres a week, but so far it has not overheated. When I took the car to my local Toyota dealership in Inverness the service manager said to "keep an eye on it" ??? Also he said it could be the head gasket as there have been a few go which I thought was strange.(I suspect the head is cracked as it it holding pressure for 48 hours after the car was used but I'm not sure) Anyway I also said about the rattling gearbox when the clutch is out (which he said "just keep your eye on it") Is this normal behaviour ????

SEE ABOVE

I have since heard that there a quite a few people who have had there car fixed under some Toyota extended warranty (100k/5 years) Is this true

Does anyone know how many miles the extended warranty (after three years) covers and is it only a maximum of two years? My T180 will be due next March.

Guy

• 1 month later...

Glad to hear you have it sorted. I had a 2006 T180 from new until it was written off in November last year by a shunt from behind by a tractor. I had the gearbox mod fitted but luckily no problem with the head gasket up in its short life 27000 miles. Replaced it with a May 2008 XTR LE 2.2 diesel, 24000 miles. Looked as new and I was really pleased when I bought it for £16800 in March. Am I unlucky or what - head on crash with old lady that fell asleep and came over my side of the road in July, got car back a month ago. Just put in for service on Monday with local dealer and mentioned that I had used a litre and a half of oil in 4000 miles. Received phone call later on the Monday to say the head gasket had gone and may require new short block and/or head. I was shocked as seemed to be running ok and thought Toyotas engines were bullet proof. The service guy admitted that it has been a relatively common problem. Learned this afternoon that they are in the process of replacing the head gasket without new block or head, but have fitted new pistons and bearings. Although presumably the new work will be guaranteed for a a year and the original three year warranty doesnt run out til March I am left with no confidence in the car at all and wondering whats next?. Incidentally I had a rant about the T180 which broke down at two weeks old with injection problems and had to be recovered, only did a maximum of 28 mpg - the XTR has been averaging 46mpg - something seriously wrong given its the same engine slightly uprated and really performance difference is hardly noticeable , the gearbox and over-run was really noisy so had mod fitted and the front brakes had to be replaced because the discs were faulty. I had to have two new tyres on the T180 at 22k which cost me over £500.00 - same Bridgestone tyres on the XTR cost me about £160.00. Not good is it? Can't think of a car I'd want instead - like the size and the handling etc and the fact it's easy to park in multi-storeys plus great in the snow - I am off to Switzerland skiing in it in January ( hopefully not on the back of a low loader! ). Just wish Toyota had developed it properly but seems the same with a lot of new vehicles nowadays from what I hear.

Rant over, any sympathy and advice gratefully accepted.

I wonder if there was any engine damage from the accident?

You have my sympathy :thumbsup:

The thought had crossed my mind, and I did wonder whether the car had been driven on to the recovery vehicle with no water in it - radiator burst.

However the car was repaired by the Toyota dealer and was supposed to have been thoroughly checked out by them. Trouble is, do I make a fuss and risk Toyota turning around and saying the repairs are due to the accident but then the insurance company turning round and saying ( quite rightly it would seem) that the faults are inherent and seemingly relatively common. I would be stuck in the middle particularly as I didn't go through my insurance company as it was a third party claim. Bit of a quandary, what worries me is reading that the heads have been modified - do you know if this is the case? and whether the piston replacements are a quick fix and there may be other advanced wear that isn't going to show, particularly as the first intimation from the garage was that the block and head were likely going to be replaced

Pm your VIN No to me while I look at the build date.

There were a number of mods to the engine in the early days which revolved around the cylined head gasket OR oil consumption. I believe yours will benefit from both so wouldn't be concerned about the remedial work - it will get all the latest spec parts. It will not get a new cylinder head unless yours is cream crackered but in any case it would be the same. The head gasket, pistons and rings are all a new design.

You can't compare the D-CAT engine with the XT-R engine as the settings are miles apart.

The insurance company is unlikely to know about any warranty issues with the engine but in any case surely Toyota are doing it anyway???

Pm your VIN No to me while I look at the build date.

;). You got through the 160 pages of instructions then? :D.

You're right, perhaps I am a worrier. Got car back today and all seems fine. Eventually when pressed they said the problem was carbon deposits on the pistons which caused the head gasket to fail. Just get the feeling that they are being very economical with any information, particularly as they wouldn't give me anything in writing in respect of the warranty work, only the service. I suppose it crossed my mind that Toyota refused to pay for a block or head so they had to make do with the gasket and pistons but I guess I will never know and just have to trust them. Apparently they also replaced the EGR? if I have remembered the letters correctly and updated some software which they said would also help the oil consumption.

It doesn't work like that. They have some strict guidelines about how far a repair will go based upon exactly what the fault is and what they find when they pull it apart. If they had found glazing or scoring in the block they would have replaced it as the instruction calls for that extent of repair.

Your car was built in April 2008 and the production changes took place in May so you just missed it. However, the costs for what they have done will be phenomenal.

I can send you the TSB if you are mechanically minded but I can't post it here because it is 52 pages and over the 2Mb limit. You would have to give me your email address.

Really appreciate the advice, many thanks again for that. I am a builder by trade, not terribly mechanically minded but have a tinker now and then and always interested to learn.

I'll PM my e-mail address if you wouldn't mind sending the details that would be great!

• 4 weeks later...

I am after some advice as I am experiencing a very similar situation. My wife has a T180 2006 (August Registered) that we bought in August 2007 from a Dealer with 27k on the clock (its was owned by Toyota GB previously). We didn’t renew the warranty in August 09 – why bother it’s a Toyota I thought ! The car was regularly serviced by authorised dealers every year and according to its service interval.

On our way back from a trip to Portsmouth just before Christmas – about 70 miles away we noticed that the heater wasn’t working well. We phoned the Toyota garage in Amersham and they said bring it in – it would probably be something with the coolant.

The garage found that there was no coolant – so filled it up (at a cost of £17) and started the engine at which point the coolant sprayed everywhere. The garage advised my wife that the car shouldn’t be driven and kept hold of it. They said that the head gasket had gone and would need replacing and if it was really bad carbon deposits on the cylinder head could cause the head to crack – in which case the cost could be £3,500. They also said they would be in touch with Toyota on our behalf to see what could be done.

They didn’t have a chance to really look at the car until the new year – but we then contacted the garage and they told us that the cylinder head needed to be replaced and Toyota were providing that free of charge. That seemed odd, and at that point my google pointed to this thread…

After reading about the issues other people have had with the cylinder head / gasket, the advice I’d like is what do I need to do / say / write to Toyota about to get this all paid for free of charge as this seems to be a manufacturing defect. I guess from the fact that Toyota have provided the cylinder head for free is acknowledgement that there is a problem, but as yet the garage have not confirmed that Toyota will pay for all other parts and labour.

Looking at a huge bill just after Christmas isn’t the way that I had hoped we would start the new year , so would really appreciate any advice and guidance you have.

Welcome to the club.

It idoes happen from time to time and TGB usually do the right thing so don't be afraid to talk to the dealer. Ask them directly just what it is going to cost if anything. You might be worrying about nothing.

Keep your chin up and go and talk to them.

Hi Guys,

SEE ABOVE

I have since heard that there a quite a few people who have had there car fixed under some Toyota extended warranty (100k/5 years) Is this true

Does anyone know how many miles the extended warranty (after three years) covers and is it only a maximum of two years? My T180 will be due next March.

Guy

Extended warranty for headgasket - 111,835 (approx) or 7 years. ( i think lol)

Edited by moonstone mart