Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Omg I Think I've Bought One!

Carltona123

Thanks for all the advice about buying a secondhand Prius and servicing issues etc.

Must say I've been quite surprised at some of the stuff Toyota dealers were offering - ex-rental cars serviced not-by-Toyota, and when you ask about if the warranty will be okay they say "probably...." very reassuring. Then of course there are the ones who don't return your calls...

Anyway - I think I've bought one! A proper one!

It's from a Toyota dealer near Manchester. An April 2007 T3 with 32k on the clock. A local car, it's had its three services at the dealer who is selling it. £7995 and he's giving me a fair price for my 9 year old Nissan Tino. Having it on Saturday at 10, subject to test drive etc. - put £200 down for him to keep it for me. So my next question - what do I look out for before handing over the balance?

Cheers people

M

Well dome. As to what to look out for, sorry can't help on that one, my Gen2 t-spirit was 08 with 14k on the clock when it went - still pretty new and no problems. No doubt those on here that do higher mileages than me will help you better than I can

Pleased you got a Prius from a Toyota dealer with full service history. The Prius is very reliable so look for obvious things like tyre wear, split or perished wipers. Check the dip stick to see the oil is at the correct level. Check hydraulic oil level and that all the windscreen washers work. Check for dents and scratches particularly around the boot loading area and the engine bonnet for stone chips etc. Check you have the full set of tools and the special nut to remove the wheel locking nuts. Check the space saver spare wheel it should be at the correct pressure as per hand book.

Go for a drive and set the Sat Nav to a known destination check it works OK. On the test drive there should be no rattles squeaky brakes etc.

Hope you get to like the Prius as much as I do. Good Luck. Some other members may be able add things to look for.

Chris.

Well dome. As to what to look out for, sorry can't help on that one, my Gen2 t-spirit was 08 with 14k on the clock when it went - still pretty new and no problems. No doubt those on here that do higher mileages than me will help you better than I can

Mine had also done 14k when I bought it. Worth checking the tyres for tread is all I can advise !

Sounds very good - enjoy the test drive. I expect you will buy :thumbsup:

I doubt there's much out of the ordinary to look for as the car is only a 2007 with 32k miles. Mine is just short of 32k now and is sweet as a nut.

Enjoy your new ride :thumbsup:

From what I can gather reading forums faults are relatively rare,

and some only seem to be posted by USA owners.

I am trying to do this from memory and it was a while ago that I was activly looking

for this info.

Dash mounted Audio volume knob intermittant or not working.

Alloy wheel corrosion.

Mult-information display faults pretty rare for the 2006 model onwards, look

for display going black and non operating touch screen.

Brake discs, wheel bearings, CV joints (last two only likely if previous owner

thought car was an amphibious vehicle and drove in flooded areas!

Water ingress into spare wheel well/12v Battery area.

Spark plug coil corrosion due to ingress of water (USA)

Noisy whine from brake pump motor (USA)

Dash rattles.

Problems from careless owners or garage:

Dead 12v Battery

Tear of material on arm rest

Loose rear spoiler (owner using that instead of internal hatch handle)

It's difficult to give advice on the test drive as you'll be driving quite a different

type of car (for the size of car it is light weight, so possibly a bit bouncy and the

regenerative under light operation can feel odd to start with) and trying to observe/listen for potentisl problems is difficult Prius has various little electric motors that are pretty quiet and would be difficult to say thst one is normal. Petrol engine start and stop

should be smooth except when the engine is cold when you can feel a rough stop

typically should happen once per journey.

Check that the physical key from each fob works in the drivers door lock. Rare and possibly dodgy a small number of owners have posted that mechanical key didn't work.

Sorry a bit of a brain dump and I am critical by nature so hopefully other owners wil point out where I've been too critcal.

Be prepared for the upsell whilst they do the paperwork.

They might offer you Toyota finance.

They might offer you GAP insurance if you have finance.

Then they'll offer you servicing costs spread over 12 months.

Make sure they throw in a service free of charge so you aren't paying out on that.

If it's Toyota Approved then you'll be covered for a lot for the next year,

then get it serviced just before the year is up.

Hi everyone out there in hybrid land

Just wanted to say a massive thank you for all the time and trouble you have taken in composing responses to my plea.

In the spirit of sharing, I am nevertheless somewhat ashamed to admit that I had a dream last night in which I was having my test drive! I didn't eat any cheesy products before bed so can only conclude I may be going down with "Prius Fever." Is this normal, do you think?!

Hi everyone out there in hybrid land

Just wanted to say a massive thank you for all the time and trouble you have taken in composing responses to my plea.

In the spirit of sharing, I am nevertheless somewhat ashamed to admit that I had a dream last night in which I was having my test drive! I didn't eat any cheesy products before bed so can only conclude I may be going down with "Prius Fever." Is this normal, do you think?!

:) as long as you don't do an emergency stop and throw the wife out the window you should survive....

Failing which, you should take two aspirin and see your Toyota dealer in the morning

On the test drive:

1) if you're not used to automatics you WILL go for the clutch then panic.

2) You will think you've stalled it at the first junction where the engine turns off.

On the subject of what to do at junctions/traffic lights etc

I've driven quite a few automatics in the States - you sit with your foot on the brake til ready to go.

I take it it's the same with the Prius?

I've driven quite a few automatics in the States - you sit with your foot on the brake til ready to go.

Yes. Sometimes I put the foot "hand" brake on at traffic lights to avoid dazzle behind but not many drivers seem to bother! WOuldn't bother on a test drive though.

I found it strange the way the engine just kept revving at 5k when I was accelerating hard, it felt just like the bad old days when I had cars with dodgy clutches....until I look at the Speedo and find I am doing illegal speeds!

Gratz on your decision bud, I'm sure you will not regret joining the club!! :)

It rather depends on two things. 1) how long you're gonna be stuck at the lights and 2) whether it's dark...

1) if you're gonna be at the lights for more than a minute or so, I normally put it in park and take foot off the brake

2) if it's dark, always put it in park - you're more likely to dazzle the guy/gal behind you at night!

but - and don't laugh - don't do what I did on my first test drive and think that the 'p' button is a toggle - it isn't!!! you have to put it in D to move off and that takes it out of park!

I did the same with the P button, I still can't get used to the amount it moves after your put the button on, so I am always using the "foot" hand brake!

Embarrasingly, the guy who delivered it was showing me all the functions, I got out of it and he was showing me something else, he informed me that I needed to turn it off as well, 4 times I did that!

Daisy

I didn't buy that car....

After a two hundred mile round trip I am disappointed but am sure I made the right decision.

I arrived at the dealership and the car was there waiting for me. Interestingly, it was parked right up against the building, parallel to it so when we walked out of the back door of the showroom we practically fell over it! Now maybe this was deliberate or maybe it wasn't, but when I went to the effort of stepping back to get a proper look at, one thing screamed out at me - all of the wheeltrims were missing. As a consequence (IMHO)it looked terrible, in a kind of "someone Pimped my Prius" kind of a way. Now - why were the trims missing and why oh why did they try to sell it looking like that? There was also misting in the passenger side rear light cluster. Anyway, the testdrive was great - I loved it. A mixture of side roads, 40mph dual carriageway and a couple of miles on the motorway. I guess about 5-6 miles in total. Average mpg for that short run 46 which I thought was good, bearing in mind I'm no expert.

So we got back to the dealership and he got the service book out - another problem. He'd told me on the phone that it had been serviced every 10k miles - so with 32500 miles on the clock I would have 7500 to go before its next one. Not so. Its last service had taken place early - at 25000 - so the next one would be due at 35000 ie in just 2500 miles time. And I knew that would cost £250 plus whatever else my local dealer could turn up. The guy popped the book back into the glovebox and tried to front it out with a cheery, "so that's okay then" type remark. Pause while I write what happened next.....

So he asked me what I thought. I said the lack of wheetrims was pretty crushing - I wanted the car of my dreams to be sitting on the drive this afternoon and it looked like anything but. He said they would get some and post them to me, but I said that was not quite the desired effect; I wanted to take ALL of the car home with me, not just most of it. As to the service matter, he went to speak to his boss. They refused to budge on that one and said it was my problem. Having spent nearly £200 in service costs to get my existing car ready to sell, I would be loathe to start forking out again bigstyle in six to eight weeks' time.

So I said I'd go round the corner and have a cup of tea and think about it. It just didn't feel right. I wanted to fall in love with that car, but couldn't. So I phoned and told him the bad news. So he said how about if they got the trims and I come back next week? I said no (200 mile round trip remember). Then he said how about if they serviced it as well and come back next week. I said no. Then he said the sales boss was there and wanted to speak to me. It was turning into a bit of a Dutch auction and I was beginning to feel very pressurised. The plan to bring my beautiful Prius home that afternoon was in tatters. So I said my goodbyes.

So I spent some time and some money on petrol, but it was a learning experience. I think what worried me was that even I, novice that I am, had spotted some obvious superficial problems that had not been addressed/recitified. What lay under the surface that I could not see?

It was a beautiful car to drive tho', and I definitely still want one....!

Well done. It is not easy to walk away from your dream car if it's not quite perfect, especially after traveling so far.

Keep looking though, even on the web, there are some good deals around

What a shame but from what you said you did the correct thing. At least you have found out what a good car the Prius is. Good luck in finding a Prius you will be fully happy with.

Always go with your gut feeling if it's to walk away from a car.

There were too many niggles for you to be happy with it and would you trust the dealer to post the wheel trims?

There are plenty more fish in the sea. Take your time and get a good one. :thumbsup:

I didn't buy that car....

After a two hundred mile round trip I am disappointed but am sure I made the right decision.

I arrived at the dealership and the car was there waiting for me. Interestingly, it was parked right up against the building, parallel to it so when we walked out of the back door of the showroom we practically fell over it! Now maybe this was deliberate or maybe it wasn't, but when I went to the effort of stepping back to get a proper look at, one thing screamed out at me - all of the wheeltrims were missing. As a consequence (IMHO)it looked terrible, in a kind of "someone Pimped my Prius" kind of a way. Now - why were the trims missing and why oh why did they try to sell it looking like that? There was also misting in the passenger side rear light cluster. Anyway, the testdrive was great - I loved it. A mixture of side roads, 40mph dual carriageway and a couple of miles on the motorway. I guess about 5-6 miles in total. Average mpg for that short run 46 which I thought was good, bearing in mind I'm no expert.

So we got back to the dealership and he got the service book out - another problem. He'd told me on the phone that it had been serviced every 10k miles - so with 32500 miles on the clock I would have 7500 to go before its next one. Not so. Its last service had taken place early - at 25000 - so the next one would be due at 35000 ie in just 2500 miles time. And I knew that would cost £250 plus whatever else my local dealer could turn up. The guy popped the book back into the glovebox and tried to front it out with a cheery, "so that's okay then" type remark. Pause while I write what happened next.....

take no notice of a recent service.even in the service book is stamped,which lets face it anyone on the premises can pick up a rubber stamp with the dealership on it and stamp the book.you need to see the service sheets as well i know of 2 phantom services that included my own car when i brought it.

the salesman can also enter it on the service records on toyota history of a car on the pc as being serviced as my shows.i dont think the work shop would provide dodgy service sheets as it could bounce back on them.

its just done so the salesman can show a better profit on the car.i dont think management are aware this goes on or condones it.

the two incidents i am talking about are both toyota dealerships.

You definitely did the right thing - it needs to look the part when you see it. I would recommend buying locally - there really are lots of Prius cars around. See if you can find a T-Spirit - the reversing camera is well worth having in my opinion.

I don't understand why they didn't offer you two free services anyway - I am pretty sure Toyota are offering a choice of 5 things to choose from until end of the month (have a look on their website) when buying a used car from them. I selected 2 years free servicing when I bought mine in August. I suppose you may have gone for something else?

Good luck with finding your dream car :thumbsup:

You definitely did the right thing - it needs to look the part when you see it. I would recommend buying locally - there really are lots of Prius cars around. See if you can find a T-Spirit - the reversing camera is well worth having in my opinion.

I don't understand why they didn't offer you two free services anyway - I am pretty sure Toyota are offering a choice of 5 things to choose from until end of the month (have a look on their website) when buying a used car from them. I selected 2 years free servicing when I bought mine in August. I suppose you may have gone for something else?

Good luck with finding your dream car :thumbsup:

One of the reasons that I got all revved up to buy right now was the Toyota "5 Reasosn to Buy an approved used Toyota" campaign - free services/warranty/insurance etc. It's only when you go to the t&c that you see it only applies to Auris, Aygo and Yaris. A bit naughty, IMHO.

One of the reasons that I got all revved up to buy right now was the Toyota "5 Reasosn to Buy an approved used Toyota" campaign - free services/warranty/insurance etc. It's only when you go to the t&c that you see it only applies to Auris, Aygo and Yaris. A bit naughty, IMHO.

Oh.. Not the Prius..? Hmm... And glad you sticked to your decision and walked away. Not many people can do that for a "dream" ;)

Cheers...