Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Oil Consumption Question

Kuro

Have just been reading some stuff about oil consumption on the avensis.

Most articles seem to point to the 1.8 vvti, Does the 2litre suffer from this aswell?

i Have an Avensis verso, and only change the oil once or twice a year(depends if a change is on offer!) had no trouble with oil over the last 6 years, :-)

Have just been reading some stuff about oil consumption on the avensis.

Most articles seem to point to the 1.8 vvti, Does the 2litre suffer from this aswell?

hi mate

non any records have been matched with these 2 ltr engine yet -- cos it is presumed their pistons are colled by an oil jet taken fron the oil main in the crankcase.cheers/Igor

After further reading it appears that the problem is specific to the 1.8. The 2.0 is a different engine.

I nearly bought a 1.8, so glad I went for the 2.0.

After further reading it appears that the problem is specific to the 1.8. The 2.0 is a different engine.

I've logged on here today to research my 2.0 vvti burning oil. no marks on driveway. just put in 2.5ltr at a garage after noticing the oil light come on when braking. stood with mechanic when he took the dipstick out and it was below minimum. took 2.5ltr to fill back to max. can was serviced by mr t at 90k.

Forget to mention its a 54 plate T-Spirit with 97k on the clock and full mr t history.

I've logged on here today to research my 2.0 vvti burning oil. no marks on driveway. just put in 2.5ltr at a garage after noticing the oil light come on when braking. stood with mechanic when he took the dipstick out and it was below minimum. took 2.5ltr to fill back to max. can was serviced by mr t at 90k.

Forget to mention its a 54 plate T-Spirit with 97k on the clock and full mr t history.

Hi mate, if you are saying your car has done 7K since it's last service at 90k and the oil level hasn't been checked or topped up since then you really are asking for trouble, if this is not the case then I apologise. Anyway ..... Toyota would probably consider 2.5 ltr (4.4 pints) in 7000 miles as acceptable not that I would agree with them on a personal view but that's the way is. Check your oil every 500 miles and see how much it is actually using, top up as required, please remember this ... oil is also a coolant as well as a lubricant so if the oil level is low the engine components can overheat and result in damage, never wait until the oil light shows!

Best regards, Pete.

Hi mate, if you are saying your car has done 7K since it's last service at 90k and the oil level hasn't been checked or topped up since then you really are asking for trouble, if this is not the case then I apologise. Anyway ..... Toyota would probably consider 2.5 ltr (4.4 pints) in 7000 miles as acceptable not that I would agree with them on a personal view but that's the way is. Check your oil every 500 miles and see how much it is actually using, top up as required, please remember this ... oil is also a coolant as well as a lubricant so if the oil level is low the engine components can overheat and result in damage, never wait until the oil light shows!

Best regards, Pete.

yes pete, you read me right. never had any symptons of burning oil before and never regularly checked. however i will be doing every fortnight from now on. the mechanic who put the oil in said the oil on the dipstick was really black (I was stood watching him). car still under mr t warranty for another 18months so thinking about getting it checked out pronto.

might start having an oil charge every 5000 miles? good idea?

Best regards, Pete.

yes pete, you read me right. never had any symptons of burning oil before and never regularly checked. however i will be doing every fortnight from now on. the mechanic who put the oil in said the oil on the dipstick was really black (I was stood watching him). car still under mr t warranty for another 18months so thinking about getting it checked out pronto.

might start having an oil charge every 5000 miles? good idea?

Hi again, I think that would be the right course of action and I would agree 100% on changing the oil every 5000 miles as I have done just that all my life with my own cars and never had any trouble with an engine. I realise modern engines with hi-tec oil can run a lot longer than this quite safely but I will stick to what I have always done using a good oil like Mobil but Castrol or Millers is ok, I have attached an oil chart from the Toyota manual for you.

I think we have hijacked Kuro's post here but it is relavent.

Best regards Pete.

post-74463-128524100263_thumb.gif

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links