Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Possible Apexi Mod?

minidoughty

Recieved my Apexi the other day, and was looking at the inside of the metal pipe supplied. It's very roughly cast, and I thought about smoothing it out, as typhoon owners have a nice smooth pipe on theirs.

Would this help with air flow at all? I was thinking about smoothing it a little, but not too much, as to retain some turbulance (as people have mentioned with the intake manifold).

Yeh it would help with air flow, but I can't help but think if you want to go to the effort of polishing the intake system, polish the Head instead. :lol:

not really, the Apexi is in parts sitting in the box it came in, is a bit dirty and needs a clean anyway. the other parts are all on the car, and would take time to remove etc.

If i were to get anything else done (intake/exhaust manifold port matched) i would get it done professionally.

Fair enough.

I guess yeh it would make a small difference but the intake tract on such a standard engine honestly won't improve performance dramatically if it's a little smoother.

Give it a go and see what results you get. :)

Oh I'm not expecting any gains, just a minor OCD knowing its clean and smooth inside.

this randomly popped into my head so i'll blurt it out. if you polish the pipe too much is there the potential for vacuum back pressure or whatever they call it? i just remember reading about it somewhere it could be referring to a totally differnet part i cant remember.

I think you're on about the exhaust which needs to be a small enough diameter to create back pressure, preventing the engine from sucking in exhaust fumes or something like that. The EGR soon crapped on that idea...

It really wouldn't make all that much difference seeing as it's the intake tube. :P

But you would be right in saying you can polish the inlet ports too much, a mirror finish leaves it with no turbulence which is needed to some degree in the engine. :thumbsup:

Another man with good taste ;)

As for smoothing the pipe... it's a short pipe anyway before it goes into the standard rubber hoses, can't see you'll get much of a gain by smoothing it out... but it won't cause any harm to have a go :thumbsup:

I think you're getting confused.... the A'PEXi is cheaper, offers similar gains and filters better.... so that must make it better value for money than a Typhoon :P

Sadly you won't be able to talk to KP when he's banned...

:P

Just fit the damn thing, you will gain nothing from smoothing the casting except wasted time better spent on something worthwhile .......

And dirty? OCD for sure fella eek.gifthumbsup.gif