Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Could I Have A Toyota Outlander?

St Thicket

I went by the Toyota dealer the other day, and asked if they had a vehicle that could match the Mitsubishi Outlander in both luggage space and price. The seller twitched as he had heard that question many times before, and then he said: "No, but we have the RAV4! It's almost the same price."

"But I would like a factory fitted spare wheel, is that possible?", "No" he replied.

"Can I get the long wheel base version as they have in America and Japan?", "No"

So then I went to the Mitsubishi Dealer to try the Outlander. I have kind of dreaded this, because I really don't want that 2.0 VAG diesel that is slow and noisy. But since I have a very strict requirement when it comes to luggage space and space between the front and back seats, the Outlander is one of the few candidates for us to buy, so if the 2.0 diesel is the only alternative that we can afford, then be it!

Anyway, when I came there, the seller could offer me a special discount on a brand new version with a brand new engine alternative similar to the new diesel on the ASX. It's a Instyle+ with bi-xenon, sat nav and a 2.2 D-MIVEC with 140HP. A true Mitsu diesel with common rail and variable valve timing! And it was on a £2.000 special discount. How could I refuse that?

So now I can expect a brand new Outlander in the end of November :yahoo:

Sad though, we didn't end up with a new RAV4, the vehicle we have enjoyed for 4 years now. We have always been pro Toyota, but when they can't meet our requirement, then we have to look for alternatives.

2.2 D-MIVEC with 140HP. A true Mitsu diesel with common rail and variable valve timing!

Are you sure St T?

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/FirstDrives/Mitsubishi-Outlander-2.2-Di-D-Diamond/229451/

......although the facelift looks good :thumbsup:

http://www.mitsubishi-cars.co.uk/outlander/specifications.aspx?Variant=VK6

One of my daughters is buying a Kia Sportage - the new model. The 7 year warranty sold it. It even has 5 doors and burns oil!!! :eek: :eek: :help: My reputation???

That looks a very good call, chap. When shopping in March this year I test drove the Outlander. Not a bad car at all apart from the lump under the bonnet. The test in the Pug 4x4 was exactly the opposite - good engine in a naff car. As that reviewer rather kindly said, dodgy styling. So fix the engine and the car becomes very eligible.

To judge by their advertising, Toyota are happy to point the RAV marketing at the short hop urban market and for their sakes I hope it works for them but the competition is hotting up all the time.

Since I bought the GV in March, Suzuki in their wisdom have "upgraded" the vehicle by removing the spare wheel :no: so I won't be going back there in a couple of years' time which puts the Outlander very much in the frame.

Mike D

I went by the Toyota dealer the other day, and asked if they had a vehicle that could match the Mitsubishi Outlander in both luggage space and price. The seller twitched as he had heard that question many times before, and then he said: "No, but we have the RAV4! It's almost the same price."

"But I would like a factory fitted spare wheel, is that possible?", "No" he replied.

"Can I get the long wheel base version as they have in America and Japan?", "No"

So then I went to the Mitsubishi Dealer to try the Outlander. I have kind of dreaded this, because I really don't want that 2.0 VAG diesel that is slow and noisy. But since I have a very strict requirement when it comes to luggage space and space between the front and back seats, the Outlander is one of the few candidates for us to buy, so if the 2.0 diesel is the only alternative that we can afford, then be it!

Anyway, when I came there, the seller could offer me a special discount on a brand new version with a brand new engine alternative similar to the new diesel on the ASX. It's a Instyle+ with bi-xenon, sat nav and a 2.2 D-MIVEC with 140HP. A true Mitsu diesel with common rail and variable valve timing! And it was on a £2.000 special discount. How could I refuse that?

So now I can expect a brand new Outlander in the end of November :yahoo:

Sad though, we didn't end up with a new RAV4, the vehicle we have enjoyed for 4 years now. We have always been pro Toyota, but when they can't meet our requirement, then we have to look for alternatives.

I think you might be right - maybe the PSA engine has gone. Be sure to give us a review and some photos.

One of my daughters is buying a Kia Sportage - the new model. The 7 year warranty sold it. It even has 5 doors and burns oil!!! :eek: :eek: :help: My reputation???

......Intact 'cause it is the duty of kids never to listen to parents. :yes:

Good Luck with the Mitsu St. Thicket. :thumbsup:

2.2 D-MIVEC with 140HP. A true Mitsu diesel with common rail and variable valve timing!

Are you sure St T?

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/FirstDrives/Mitsubishi-Outlander-2.2-Di-D-Diamond/229451/

......although the facelift looks good :thumbsup:

http://www.mitsubishi-cars.co.uk/outlander/specifications.aspx?Variant=VK6

I'm 110% sure!

The PSA 2.2 156hp version is now only available with automatic gearbox, and the new 2.2 140hp is only available as manual. This is a design based on the ASX engine, and is truly a Mitsu design. Probably the 4N14. This is then reduced to 140 HP. I've seen the specifications and it sais it's 2268 ccm, while the PSA engine is 2179 ccm. However, I have not seen any official statement from Mitsu about this engine in the Outlander, but they have already started selling it. I think the 2011 catalogues are just around the corner.

If you look closer to the mitsu page you linked to, notice that all manual 2.2 Diesels are 2268ccm, while all automatic are 2179 ccm. Also, notice that the 2.0 Diesel is gone :)

And Bothy: We've also thought about the Kia, but it is not available in Norway yet, and its sister, the Hyundai ix35 is too small for us, so we ruled it out already.

Shcm: Thanks :-)

That should be very interesting St T. It is one of the few brands that could lure me away from a RAV as long as every part of it comes out of Japan. I would be interested in validating those claims of smoothness and may swing into a dealer when passing B) .

There is no way I could swap at the moment without incurring the wrath of a seething combination of Nile Crocodile/spitting cobra/black widow (with emphasis on widow) that is anchorwoman if I try to spend another bean on a motor. It doesn't help that my old Corolla is still running round like a swiss watch. I think its called saving up for something that might never happen. Bggr!

I really liked the Outlander having test drove one. The old 2.0L was a VW supplied engine but alas the 2.2 is a Renult engine, this put me off a bit. What finally put the nail in the coffin was that first and second gears are set at too high a ratio, thus making the Outlander not a good option for towing. Hence why I brought the Santa Fe.

I wonder if they've kept the same box?

Don't know, since I didn't test drive it. Since it is a new model, and still in production, even the dealers doesn't have a test car.

I believe it could be a new box, since this new engine can put out much more power. The UK speced cars are rated to 177hp, while the Norwegian one are rated 140. Same engine and pobably same box.

Check out this page: http://www.mitsubishi-cars.co.uk/outlander/technology.aspx

The 2010/2011 Outlander does indeed have a Mitsubishi Diesel engine in it. Probably built using all the stuff they learnt from the joint venture with PSA. The French got the 4 wheel drive tech and the Japanese the diesel tech.

As already posted... Wikipedia item on the new engine http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_4N1_engine

Review of the new model http://www.allcardetails.com/news/mitsubishi-outlander-with-cleaner-engines--6344.html

• 1 month later...

My new Outlander arrived on thursday, and I've driven it for about 60km. That's not far enough to really get to know it properly, but I see now that this is a car that I will be satisfied with!

The main thing about this car is the VERY nice engine, that is really quiet. And has a LOT of torque. It I can accelerate even if the revvs are just above 1000rpm, and when approaching 2500rpms, it releases the beast inside and keeps accelerating beyond 4000! This is something I've never experienced with a diesel before, at least not that kind of power. Maybe it is the Variable valve timing that does this?

Another thing I experienced is the gear box. It is a 6 speed, and the car tells me to shift to a higher gear all the time. Tends to want me to do 1300 rpm all the time, even if I'm driving upphill! Still, there's a lot of torque! Also the first gear has a ratio that kind of makes it suitable as the low gear that you find on REAL 4x4s. The first gear isn't really for accelerating, just to get the car moving a little, and then when I shift to second, then the beast comes (given that I accelerates hard).

The funny thing is that we had to use the spare wheel already yesterday! My whife called me and said: "I am standing in the inside lane on the f***ing motorway, and the tyre is f***ing flat!" I told her to calm down and localise the spare wheel :rolleyes: She actually did manage to change the wheel, which makes me proud of her :thumbsup:

Anyway, it seems that the people at the dealers that changed the tyres had managed to not close the vent properly, so the tyre had become flat very slowly. Wonder how that can happen? Shouldn't a tyre guy (or girl) that works with tyres all day managed to do their job properly? Anyway, they'll give us a new tyre, so no worries.

So that's my first experiences with my new ride.

when I shift to second, then the beast comes (given that I accelerates hard).

Good heavens that is an optional extra I haven't seen before. Sounds messy. :!Removed!:

Oh, and REAL 4x4s have a low ratio box!

More seriously, thanks for the review and with the future in mind I would be interested so see what your thoughts are about the Mits when you have wintered it. Is it a full sized spare wheel?

Mike D

I really like the Outlander and the Mrs agrees too (somewhat of a rarity). When my Golf ages another year and if funds permit I could be tempted! A rav4 T180 and a black Outlander in the drive mmmmm

Is it a full sized spare wheel?

No it's not, since it is placed on the underside of the boot.

IMG_2538.jpg

IMG_2542.jpg

IMG_2548.jpg

IMG_2544.jpg

Notice that there are two different alloys on the top picture. The front one is the summer alloy, because the winter alloy is being refitted with a new tyre shortly. I got the summer alloys off "ebay" for 1/3rd of the original price, which I'm very satisfied with :yes: These alloys only come with the premium edition, while my edition is the mid-range, but includes sat nav and bi-xenon with turnable lights.

Notice the MIVEC on the engine cover. That engine is just brilliant!

To me it more or less gives the impression of a normal sedan.

Not much of a terrain capable vehicle by the looks.

It is nice to see indeed. Very modest.

Altough i personally favor cars with a little more personality, which i feel this car is lacking (no pun intended).

Greetz

Pim

Very sharp looking motor, StT! :thumbsup:

I really liked the look of the interior of the last Mitsubishi someone posted. I think it was the Outlander. Is it as nice as it looks?

To me it more or less gives the impression of a normal sedan.

Not much of a terrain capable vehicle by the looks.

It is nice to see indeed. Very modest.

Altough i personally favor cars with a little more personality, which i feel this car is lacking (no pun intended).

Greetz

Pim

I see your points. The car is more like an estate in many ways, and that was just what we wanted. If we couldn't find a suitable SUV, then an estate with 4wd would be the next alternative. My wife is the one prefering the SUV feeling, while I value a low stable car. We even tried the Subaru Outback, and found that it was a nice compromise. The Subaru was however more expensive and the interior was a bit too conservative. The Outlander behaves a lot like a low estate, because it has a low point of gravity.

Speaking of personality; the Oulander has a split personality, one called the c-crosser and the other called the 4007. But I don't think many cars today have a personality. At least not new cars. My old 1984 Nissan Cherry GTT had, but that was more a bad temper. Wasn't too happy about starting on a cold morning, and decided to blow out lots of smoke if it did start.

Very sharp looking motor, StT! :thumbsup:

I really liked the look of the interior of the last Mitsubishi someone posted. I think it was the Outlander. Is it as nice as it looks?

I have the interior that is part leather. That means leather on the dashboard and doors, and just a few places on the seat. I think that is quite nice. Tho get the leather seats, i had to get the 7 seater which in Norway costs £5000 more that our model. We had to pay £43000 for our Outlander, and that included £16000 in taxes! insane, I know!

Anyway, the interior is very standard. I like the split rear door which is very practical, and I think there are a lot of features and gadgets that are nice. The seats are harder than what Toyota makes, but they are comfortable still. The steering servo is heavier than on Toyota, but that doesn't bother me either.

IMG_2538.jpg

Notice that there are two different alloys on the top picture. The front one is the summer alloy, because the winter alloy is being refitted with a new tyre shortly. I got the summer alloys off "ebay" for 1/3rd of the original price, which I'm very satisfied with :yes: These alloys only come with the premium edition, while my edition is the mid-range, but includes sat nav and bi-xenon with turnable lights.

Notice the MIVEC on the engine cover. That engine is just brilliant!

There is a fineness and tidiness of line about that design that looks very good indeed compared with the fat backside of the 4.3 or the square shed look of my GV.

I have a slight worry about the length of that front overhang although the ground clearance looks good. Do they quote a front ramp angle?

Keep in touch re the fuel consumption please, St T

On the subject of looks, in Bovey Tracey this morning I saw an absolutely immaculate, dark blue 55 plate 3 door RAV 4.2. Elegance and practicality all in one package....very nice indeed

Mike D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links