Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1999 Avensis Estate

Mstock3

After great experiences with both a 2005 2.0D T3 and my current 2010 2.0D T4 Tourer i am considering replacing my ageing VW golf estate, local hack at 165,000miles, with a 1999 75,000 mile 2000cc automatic Avensis estate and would appreciate any buying tips. The car is advertised at a local dealers for £1,000 and appears to be in good condition with 3 previous owners listed. At the present time i have been unable to review the service history but would especially like to know the recommended replacement frequency of the cam belt and asscoiated components, along with any common faults.

Many thanks

After great experiences with both a 2005 2.0D T3 and my current 2010 2.0D T4 Tourer i am considering replacing my ageing VW golf estate, local hack at 165,000miles, with a 1999 75,000 mile 2000cc automatic Avensis estate and would appreciate any buying tips. The car is advertised at a local dealers for £1,000 and appears to be in good condition with 3 previous owners listed. At the present time i have been unable to review the service history but would especially like to know the recommended replacement frequency of the cam belt and asscoiated components, along with any common faults.

Many thanks

I am always dubious about older cars with low mileage, some I'm sure are legit, but I believe many have been clocked back at some stage as its so easy to do on with a digital dash. Ask the dealer for the number off the logbook and reg, then go on the vosa website and check previous mot's. Also he should have the service history book, along with two keys (remote key and the normal grey key). I think the cambelt needs doing at 60,000. Also to back up the mileage check interior for signs of wear, bear in mind that many taxi drivers will buy an Avensis and run the mileage up to 200,000, so look for worn rear seats etc. You be surprised how many low mileage Avensis, have not got the original service book which would back up the low mileage ! You can always call a Toyota dealer give them the red number and ask if they have any service details about the car. If all the info you can get tallys up, then its the usual check under bonnet underneath the car and boot area for signs of accident damage. If it has aircon check you can hear the pump click in when you switch the a/c button. Also check the cooling fan cuts in, and the coolant temp gauge doesn't go in the red, but stays in the middle.

HTH

Alan

Further to Alans reply, I have 3 keys with my 1998 Avensis. 2 black remote keys and the grey key. When I lost one my remote keys, and the dealer said I would need the second remote key to programme the replacement key. Lucky the original key was found and returned.

Slightly off topic, I have noticed that there are a lot of good MK1 Avensis around. Try and spot a 1998/9 Mondeo or Puegeot 406 which were touted as the best cars of the class by the motoring press. Where are they now?

The Avensis estate is a good choice. :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links