Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Blue - Rear Passenger Side Footwell Water Logged

Yaris 54

Hello, I have recently purchased a 3 door Toyota Yaris Blue (2004). The rear passenger side footwell is water logged. I dried the carpet as much as I could, I then ran a hose around the front door and could see water on the step as you enter the car. I've sealed the front passenger window seal and the footstep with a thick black tape but the leak did not stop. I called a local Toyota garage and they said it will cost £105+vat to determine where the water was coming from. Any ideas please.

Hello, I have recently purchased a 3 door Toyota Yaris Blue (2004). The rear passenger side footwell is water logged. I dried the carpet as much as I could, I then ran a hose around the front door and could see water on the step as you enter the car. I've sealed the front passenger window seal and the footstep with a thick black tape but the leak did not stop. I called a local Toyota garage and they said it will cost £105+vat to determine where the water was coming from. Any ideas please.

It could be that the plastic liner under the door card is damaged, thus allowing water that falls on the window to enter the car.

Remove the card and check the condition of the plastic sheet.

Hello and welcome to the forum. :)

Does the car have a sunroof? Sometimes they can leak around the seals so if it does, check the headlining for wetness. :thumbsup:

There is a LARGE sealing washer in the floor. If displaced, water enters from underneath...

Scramble underneath with a torch..before you lift the carpet.

Sealed son's with silicone sealant..

• 3 weeks later...

There is a LARGE sealing washer in the floor. If displaced, water enters from underneath...

Scramble underneath with a torch..before you lift the carpet.

Sealed son's with silicone sealant..

I had same issue with my wife's 2005 Yaris recently. I pinpointed it to Manufacturing fault with sealant between 2 panels ( Where bulkhead meets front wing reinforement panel ). I contacted Toyota Customer relations & explained that as floor was rusting due to leak, this should be covered under 12-year anti-corrosion warranty - which is standard on all Toyota's.

I booked it in the following week & they repaired the problem by removing dash & resealing ( FOC ). Now waiting for some heavy rain so I can check it over again.

Best if you can have a look yourself first though - if it is not a Manufacturing defect they will possibly charge you for the investigation work. Check the obvious first:-

HVAC Drain tube & grommet routed/seated correctly.

All Floor grommets seated correctly.

Sunroof drain tubes routed outside vehicle ( if fitted )

No leaks through windscreen urethane bonding ( Check by removing 'A' pillar trims )

No windows have been left partially open.

Confirm kids or wife have not spilled bottle of water or similar.

Sit in car & get someone to hose car. Start at lowest point first & work up. If you start at top of car it will run down & will make it difficult to pinpoint leak path.

Good luck.

• 2 years later...

I have a red aygo (12 plate) my car has been to the local dealer 3 times in 3 weeks for leaks - Carpets have been left soaking, so disappointed

• 1 year later...

Hi, I've just joined the forum.

My 1999 CDX Yaris is having a problem with water in the nearside front & rear footwell.

I just though the carpet was damp......untill I lifted it and discovered about half a litre of clear water.

Pulled the bungs and drained, but had to bin the soundproofing, which felt and looked like a sponge!

When I get chance, I'll try to check the aircon, and I gather I should check some drain channel in the engine comartment?

Any other ideas folks?

If it's both front and rear, try the door cards.

(Have you checked the spare wheel well for water?)

If it is fitted with a pollen filter - check that. See

• 2 years later...

I have recently had water ingress too, hence my return to the forum... I have removed and am drying the floor mats and both sheets of underlay/soundproofing from front passenger football. I partially lifted carpet so as to look at bungs. They look ok without blasting with water but I am going to drive around for a few days with the heater on full, aimed down and windows cranked open, to help dry out the old girl! (02 mk1 CDX). I then plan to start my investigative work. I have already slid an electricians cable-pull tape down the sunroof drain tubes, filled by quite warm water, to help dissolve any potential blockage. The tape went quite some way down both front, left and right of the roof, (Forgot to look for rear end drains on the sunroof). Also, warm water might be easier to detect, as its.... Warm!

So, now as it dries, I am planning on setting up my fog machine in order to fill the car with smoke, to see if it comes out in unusual places. This is the same system for "Fogging" The air conditioning so it will kill two birds with one brick round the back of the head! The fumes usually come out places such as non sealed door strips, vents, door handle apertures, etc where there are smallish escape routes. The trick is to fill the car with fumes, leave it ten/fifteen mins, then open the doors to let the fumes escape. This is done with the A?C on full and on recirculate, to clean and decontaminate the system. It is also anti-bacterial so helps eliminate bugs and odour. I will be keeping a close eye on any unusual fumes escaping where not expected.

If I have any success, I will be sure to brag, oops, sorry, post it here for others to contemplate, if they are suffering the same problem.

Oh, I forgot, I have yet to investigate the spare wheel compartment for sogginess. That'll be on the agenda too, just in case.

• 3 months later...

Hi, i had a similar problem with my 04 yaris passenger front , and rear footwell being sodden., . Having eliminated the a/c, and the windscreen, by trickling some water from a turkey baster onto the  last inch of the passenger side gulley water exit inside the engine bay - to eliminate any of the other seams/welds in the gulley - ( sorry for lack of photos)  then you remove just the passenger side plastic scuttle - the bit that has all the holes in and joins in the middle - by removing plastic trim plugs, splitting the two halves and pushing n/s part to far passenger side then easing out - you'll reveal the metal gulley below - and having removed from the inside of the footwell both the cill trim and the A post base trim, peeled back carpet and lifed corner of foam padding at front to expose the inside metal of the wheelarch, should see a trickle coming in from far up. Although I didnt rip everything out to establish exactly where, I could see it was going to be above where the water exits the slot on the outside of the engine bay to run down in front of the A post bulkhead to the ground (behind the wheelarch liner - you dont need to, but if you want to see this you need to remove wheel and the trim plugs , and hence plastic wheel arch liner - best to get a packet of replacement plugs first!).

So by elimination it has to be up that little water channel which is difficult to reach, and the only panel join i could see using a small mirror and torch is right below the lip of the outflow from the engine bay. To mend it 'properly' requires wing off and cutting off the outer face of that box piece so I could only clean off the grime with a rag and white spirit by putting my little finger in and round under from above , through the slot hole, on the engine bay side. Then again with little finger (and forefinger for the back bit ) of the roughly 50mm length . , using the stickiest s*** to a blanket sealant you can find, daub and smear it in. A childs smaller fingers might be better at this if you have one available hehe

Hope this helps someone and apologies for grammatical errers, long sentences etc etc

Andy