Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris 2000 - Cold Start Stuttering

MariusJac

Hey everyone,

A colleague of mine pointed me to these forums and I've already read a lot of interesting stuff about this neat little car. I own a Yaris 1.0L Linea Sol (year 2000) for about a year now and I’ve been enjoying the car a lot.

However , lately I’ve been having a minor issue. Because the Yaris revs up to +-1300 rpm (cold start) I only use the clutch to drive away from my parking spot before I change to second gear. Lately I've experienced "stuttering" or "juttering" (I really don't know how to describe it, the front shakes a bit) when using the clutch on a cold start and low temperatures outside whilst leaving my parking spot and I'm not sure what it is. I would like to know if there is a relative simple solution for this issue or if I have to visit a garage to check it out.

Any information is appreciated.

- Marius

Low on fuel? My facelifted T- Sport stutters when its low on fuel, when I saw low, I mean, 3-4 bars. I also only use clutch when starting as it kicks up to 2,100 rpm

If not, then it's probably just needs a basic service or something as simple as changing the plugs.

May be hard to fix it first go as the problem could be caused by a number of things!

Sounds like clutch judder, mine sometimes does it when the weather starts going colder, but once warmed up it's fine.

Nothing to worry about if it only does it now & then in cold mornings. If the clutch starts to slip or is hard to change gear, then i would have it checked.

[if clutch judder has only recently started, one of the many exhaust barckets may have corroded through : especially the one after the gearbox...

Had that with son's Yaris. 5 mins welding solved it.

Mine's pretty much always done this when the car's stone cold.

The one exception is when the car's just been serviced (My service date is in winter), where it's perfectly fine.

I suspect it's related to the 'climbing bite-point' issue I've posted about before.

I've found I can mitigate it by engaging the clutch even more gently while feeding in a touch more power.

If you can do it without excessive outlay, it might be worth having the clutch/brake fluid changed to see if that helps.