Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Nightmare!

SidBurns

Craig, the DMF might have already been replaced at some stage, you just dont know, it wouldnt have been automatically looked at or sorted, and in any case that was over 6 years ago! It wasnt a recall so if it showed no signs of failing then it wouldnt be touched

If you PM me the following details, I can get a price on extended warranty for you, dont post up in the forum, PM me

Current exact miles, price paid, Registration number and chassis number, also do you want unlimited mileage or low user (10K per year max)

Kingo :thumbsup:

Wouldn't dream of interfering, but the TOYOTA ext warranty is only available on vehicles up to 7yrs old unless you know different :unsure: Stew

Crumbs - thats me out then? :lol: :lol:

Update - Looks like the garage are going to replace the DMF, they can (seemingly) do it for £800 all in! RESULT!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SidBurns

• bothwell_buyer

• anchorman

• Parts-King

Well that garage deserves a pat on the back. It would unreasonable to expect them to do more than they have done.

You should end up with a decent motor.

Craig, the DMF might have already been replaced at some stage, you just dont know, it wouldnt have been automatically looked at or sorted, and in any case that was over 6 years ago! It wasnt a recall so if it showed no signs of failing then it wouldnt be touched

If you PM me the following details, I can get a price on extended warranty for you, dont post up in the forum, PM me

Current exact miles, price paid, Registration number and chassis number, also do you want unlimited mileage or low user (10K per year max)

Wouldn't dream of interfering, but the TOYOTA ext warranty is only available on vehicles up to 7yrs old unless you know different :unsure: Stew

Update - Looks like the garage are going to replace the DMF, they can (seemingly) do it for £800 all in! RESULT!

Sounds like an honourable outfit. They aren't going to make a lot out of selling you the RAV. Hope you will give them your custom with services etc. in the future.

Sounds like an honourable outfit. They aren't going to make a lot out of selling you the RAV. Hope you will give them your custom with services etc. in the future.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'd highly recommend them but:-

* Assuming they bought the Rav for £4k they have made a grand from us

* I traded in my old car for £1750 and they sold it for £3k

* Even with them spending a grand or so they'll still make at least a grand

Craig

Aye but they could have made it very difficult. They won't starve out of your deal though!

Makes a change though. Maybe in these tough times garages are gonna concentrate on good customer service as opposed to making ££££! Obviously it's all about the benjamins but if they concentrate a bit more on customer service, they might get return business.......

Makes a change though. Maybe in these tough times garages are gonna concentrate on good customer service as opposed to making ££££! Obviously it's all about the benjamins but if they concentrate a bit more on customer service, they might get return business.......

STILL not got the car back, it's in pieces by the sounds of it!?!

When changing the DMF, there appeared to be damage to the motion shaft if this means anything to anyone!?! This is seemingly connected to the inner gearbox casing which also needs replacing.

Looks like we're gonna get a brand new car back but when, your guess is as good as mine!?!

Craig

When changing the DMF, there appeared to be damage to the motion shaft if this means anything to anyone!?! This is seemingly connected to the inner gearbox casing which also needs replacing.

Looks like we're gonna get a brand new car back but when, your guess is as good as mine!?!

Craig

I've heard of damage being caused by a garage forcing the gearbox back onto the engine without aligning the splines properly...got told its a 2 stage process. Wonder if the garage has self-inflicted damage?

Craig

I've heard of damage being caused by a garage forcing the gearbox back onto the engine without aligning the splines properly...got told its a 2 stage process. Wonder if the garage has self-inflicted damage?

Pass!?! As long as it gets fixed, I'll be happy!

Their seemingly struggling to source parts from Toyota, surely not!?!

Craig

If they are sourcing Toyota parts, then the cheapest source is Parts King. Some say he'd even lend you his car if he can't supply you by at least the next day :yahoo:

Craig

If they are sourcing Toyota parts, then the cheapest source is Parts King. Some say he'd even lend you his car if he can't supply you by at least the next day :yahoo:

HAHA!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Back from the tea break then?? :lol:

Of course, I could have said that you deliver same day but wouldn't want to put you under any more pressure.....

Lunchtime already... is that clutch stuff been sent out yet?

On a serious note, received another mail from the garage saying they still haven't secured the part. Hoping that they can by 2ish. I want the car back today! The Astravan they gave me is getting on my wick! HAHA

Delivered! :lol:

No hanging about here ;)

ANOTHER UPDATE!

Garage just called, the 'bell housing' has also went due to the gearbox being incorrectly fixed in a previous life. The garage have seemingly been quoted £800 by Toyota for this part, does this sound about right Parts King? Anyway, they would like us to contribute £250 towards the part, do you think this is reasonable?

They have obviously fixed the following for nothing so far:-

* Rear Pads & Discs

* Front Pads & Discs

* Rear Transfer Seal

* Dual Mass Flywheel (under their warranty)

* Exhaust

* Caliper Pins

So all in all around £200-£250 at the moment. The 'bell housing' will not be covered. They have been (all day) trying to get a reconditioned housing for us at around £400 which they would've paid but suppose I would rather genuine Toyota parts.

So, yeah, do you think this is a good deal for me? Caught in two minds!

Under Trading Standards/Consumer Acts etc they have pretty much played it by the book. Just dunno what to do!?!?!?! :angry:

Cheers,

Craig.

ANOTHER UPDATE!

Garage just called, the 'bell housing' has also went due to the gearbox being incorrectly fixed in a previous life. The garage have seemingly been quoted £800 by Toyota for this part, does this sound about right Parts King? Anyway, they would like us to contribute £250 towards the part, do you think this is reasonable?

They have obviously fixed the following for nothing so far:-

* Rear Pads & Discs

* Front Pads & Discs

* Rear Transfer Seal

* Dual Mass Flywheel (under their warranty)

* Exhaust

* Caliper Pins

So all in all around £200-£250 at the moment. The 'bell housing' will not be covered. They have been (all day) trying to get a reconditioned housing for us at around £400 which they would've paid but suppose I would rather genuine Toyota parts.

So, yeah, do you think this is a good deal for me? Caught in two minds!

Under Trading Standards/Consumer Acts etc they have pretty much played it by the book. Just dunno what to do!?!?!?! :angry:

Cheers,

Craig.

confirms what I said before - the bellhousing , engine and gearbox have been bolted together under force by some plonker.

Might be possible to get a housing secondhand I'd have thought. These things are pretty indestructible in the hands of those who know what they are doing.

I got a 2nd hand gearbox fitted earlier this year. No bother.

On whether to gift money, and assuming they didn't break the gearbox housing etc (not that it matters) then I'd pay them something as long as I saw the broken parts. Your preference though as I don't know how much you paid for the car, nor would I know its value. Seems like they have been helpful up to now though.

On whether to gift money, and assuming they didn't break the gearbox housing etc (not that it matters) then I'd pay them something as long as I saw the broken parts. Your preference though as I don't know how much you paid for the car, nor would I know its value. Seems like they have been helpful up to now though.

Paid just under £5k for it. 2002 with 88k on the clock, 8 stamps in SH.

looking at online valuation sites, the price looks about ok for the age and mileage. One site suggests £4500. A couple of hundred donation - I'd be ok with that if I was getting all that new work done as well.

looking at online valuation sites, the price looks about ok for the age and mileage. One site suggests £4500. A couple of hundred donation - I'd be ok with that if I was getting all that new work done as well.

Yeah checked Parkers and What Car prior to purchasing and we thought £5k was about right with the warranty and stuff. It is in pretty good nick, well apart from everything that's went wrong with it! Part of me thinks I should've just told them to BOLT but the other part thinks that for £250 it's not too bad and that we SHOULD pretty much have a brand new car when we eventually get it back...

Yeah checked Parkers and What Car prior to purchasing and we thought £5k was about right with the warranty and stuff. It is in pretty good nick, well apart from everything that's went wrong with it! Part of me thinks I should've just told them to BOLT but the other part thinks that for £250 it's not too bad and that we SHOULD pretty much have a brand new car when we eventually get it back...

once everythings done, I'd reckon you should have a motor able to do another 80k miles without much more than an odd ball joint or bearing. Enjoy the....astravan :eek: :eek: Good for shifting manure I guess?

once everythings done, I'd reckon you should have a motor able to do another 80k miles without much more than an odd ball joint or bearing. Enjoy the....astravan :eek: :eek: Good for shifting manure I guess?

The Astravan is a NIGHTMARE just like this whole situation but making the most of being a "White Van Man" :thumbsup:

They need to be good mechanics to swap the innards of the box into a brand new casing.

What have they decided?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links