Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris Hsd Consumption

Terry953

[font="Tahoma"]Newbie Under 500 mile report.

Everything is stiff and new, still experimenting with various settings/driving techniques - even read the manual.

Achievements so far = best single journey MPG 65 [using built in average mpg readout]

Several 55s to 59s. Not found the Eco setting much help yet.

The first real test, of tankful to tankful = 56 MPG [compared with my previous Corolla' average of 45 MPG]

Very Happy so far - must mention the Superb ride [my wife suffers from arthritis in the spine and doesn't use a cushion as in the Corolla] The quietness is amazing,just got my Road Tax rebate and feel very green and self satisfied.

OK there's got to be one moan = Why is the gear lever/switch ergonomically reversed??

Push lever forward to go into Reverse - Pull lever back to go Forward.

Explanations welcomed.

OK there's got to be one moan = Why is the gear lever/switch ergonomically reversed??

Explanations welcomed.

Yup. I have to say I couldn't get my head around that one when I went for my Auris HSD test drive a few weeks back. :blink:

It didn't stop me buying it though. - Delivery in November. :)

Why is the gear lever/switch ergonomically reversed??

The same question I've asked at Nissan Leaf test drive.

It's due to the way automatic gear shifters were made:

automatic_gear_shift_lever_icon_flyer-p2440197926597476552mcvz_400.jpg

Parking, Reverse - Forward

Drive - Reverse :)

Wouldn't say it's logical - it's just the way it is :)

[font="Tahoma"]Newbie Under 500 mile report.

Explanations welcomed.

and it's left hand drive when you compare it to the Prius :huh:

• 2 months later...

Have to agree with you, i noted it to mr t with other issues & this was one of the issues not addressed. My other half nearly put it through the garage wall when she thought she was in reverse. I don't think mr t appreciates constructive critisism of this car. We have a month old HSD T-spirit & also a corolla 2l d4d & am hoping the HSD grows on us as we are far from impressed. We are no eco warriors so never bought it for all the aco credentials.

my wife bought to replace her mini cooper on the basis it would be an improvement on the corolla, but she is still driving the corolla morethan the HSD. We find the car a very uninspiring car to drive & are becoming obsessed with dials to get the best mpg. My wife thinks i'm turning into Victor Meldrew!

Sorry everyone :wacko:

Have to agree with you, i noted it to mr t with other issues & this was one of the issues not addressed. My other half nearly put it through the garage wall when she thought she was in reverse. I don't think mr t appreciates constructive criticism of this car. We have a month old HSD T-spirit & also a corolla 2l d4d & am hoping the HSD grows on us as we are far from impressed. We are no eco warriors so never bought it for all the eco credentials.

my wife bought to replace her mini cooper on the basis it would be an improvement on the corolla, but she is still driving the corolla more than the HSD. We find the car a very uninspiring car to drive & are becoming obsessed with dials to get the best mpg. My wife thinks i'm turning into Victor Meldrew!

I quite understand your dilemma, even after 3 months I find the motion/gear selector unergonomic, but now always look at the display to see where I am, after nearly reversing into a substantial Tesco bollard trying to make a quick getaway.

I have noted this to Toyota in my 'valued feed back' to them on my new car, but am still awaiting a reply/action.

But overall I/We are very pleased with our Auris, we were prepared to and are encompassing the new driving technology and must persevere to master its undoubted advantages.

I am a confirmed Victor Meldrew of some repute, but have been anesthetized by my HSD Auris into a laid back, let the technology do its stuff situation.

I'm even getting blaze and beginning to ignore the various info available as to - mpg - instant consumption - overall consumption - ect - etc. But I still keep an eye on the little green light thingy.

Hey! bit confused as to what the HSD was to replace - was it the Mini or Corolla ?

My advice ditch the the others and persevere with the HSD - I guarantee it will grow on you both.

Have to agree with you, i noted it to mr t with other issues & this was one of the issues not addressed. My other half nearly put it through the garage wall when she thought she was in reverse. I don't think mr t appreciates constructive criticism of this car. We have a month old HSD T-spirit & also a corolla 2l d4d & am hoping the HSD grows on us as we are far from impressed. We are no eco warriors so never bought it for all the eco credentials.

my wife bought to replace her mini cooper on the basis it would be an improvement on the corolla, but she is still driving the corolla more than the HSD. We find the car a very uninspiring car to drive & are becoming obsessed with dials to get the best mpg. My wife thinks i'm turning into Victor Meldrew!

I quite understand your dilemma, even after 3 months I find the motion/gear selector unergonomic, but now always look at the display to see where I am, after nearly reversing into a substantial Tesco bollard trying to make a quick getaway.

I have noted this to Toyota in my 'valued feed back' to them on my new car, but am still awaiting a reply/action.

But overall I/We are very pleased with our Auris, we were prepared to and are encompassing the new driving technology and must persevere to master its undoubted advantages.

I am a confirmed Victor Meldrew of some repute, but have been anesthetized by my HSD Auris into a laid back, let the technology do its stuff situation.

I'm even getting blaze and beginning to ignore the various info available as to - mpg - instant consumption - overall consumption - ect - etc. But I still keep an eye on the little green light thingy.

Hey! bit confused as to what the HSD was to replace - was it the Mini or Corolla ?

My advice ditch the the others and persevere with the HSD - I guarantee it will grow on you both.

Don't talk to me about Victor Meldrew... I don't believe it! :ffs:

Anyway, I've been through the hows & whys our HSD does what it does and now I just accept that it does things because it wants or needs to and not just to p*$$ me off! I have to say, if you want an "inspiring" drive, then the HSD aint for you, but of you want one of the most relaxing and enjoyable drives around (i.e. not have to worry about anything other than going, stopping and pointing), then the HSD is one of the best around!

One observation though... Our HSD really doesn't like cold weather! It doesn't do anything nasty, don't get me wrong, everything runs as smoothly as it ever did, but that fuel consumption, wow! Back in the summer, my first fill to fill returned just over 57MPG, which compared to my old Avensis oil burner was fantastic, however, sub zero temperatures and mad traffic to and from work - I've just squeaked 49MPG! I know this was only to be expected, and I know how to make things better (like turn the heater off), but comfort ultimately kicks in and overcomes my desire for good milage.

I tried my new Auris HSD on a 200km motorway drive the other day.

It's freezing cold here (-7C outside temp according to the car temp read-out), lots of long, steep hills on the way and winter tyres on (made for snow/ice traction not economy). I got a trip average of 56 mpg.

I was really happy with that and it bodes well for spring when things warm up and the low rolling resistance tyres go on. :yahoo:

I must say I really enjoyed the relaxing, sure-footed drive. - Cruise control on, I just sat back and let the HSD do its thing. :yes:

On the Prius, the Owner's Manual describes situations that are unsuitable for Cruise control and that includes slippery roads (snow, ice or heavy rain). I would have thought that the Auris HSD Owner's Manual would have the same warnings?

On the Prius, the Owner's Manual describes situations that are unsuitable for Cruise control and that includes slippery roads (snow, ice or heavy rain). I would have thought that the Auris HSD Owner's Manual would have the same warnings?

Good point timberwolf, however, the motorways were totally free of any snow or ice so no danger there. It was just very cold.

Hmmmm... I must read that manual.....

Ah, good. I thought it worth mentioning as other owners may be unfamiliar with cruise control.

A quick skim through the manual can't hurt, and for all those who really hate reading manuals, perhaps they could use it as some light bed time reading to help put them to sleep? :)

Hi Terry

The HSD was replacing the mini, the corolla is still in operation thank god 105k on the clock and drives like new, the whole family loves the corolla. Have you had any dealings with mr t's relations dept?

Hi Terry

The HSD was replacing the mini, the corolla is still in operation thank god 105k on the clock and drives like new, the whole family loves the corolla. Have you had any dealings with mr t's relations dept?

Yes Craigturner, you did the right thing retaining the Corolla, my previous was a T3 on an O4 plate with only around 48k on it, super little car, but I was tempted by various factors to go HSD and took the plunge.

As regards dealings with 'mr.t', well I never heard back from them re the transmission switch, but I am tempted out of devilment to write and ask them for a wiring diagram of the switch so that I may swop a few wires around to get it round the correct way.

[Oh by the way, I forgot to mention that the only reason I didn't hit Tesco's bollard was that the rear parking bleeper sounded - so there's another good reason to have that extra fitted, a bit expensive but I now consider it has already paid for itself] :thumbs up:

But I don't have much hopes really, when I bought my first Yaris I abhorred the need to push the clutch in to start the engine. So I wrote to them and asked how to disconnect the inhibitor.

The reply I got back was tantamount to accusing me of being prepared to break all the safety laws under the sun, not to mention invalidating the warranty, so no joy there :ffs: