Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyre Query

monya

Hello all

Bought my hybrid Auris 2 days ago and got a puncture after 81 miles!. My local dealer sorted it but having got home I see they have fitted a Bridgestone instead of the original Michelin as on the other 3 wheels. Does this matter?? Not best practise I presume. 17 inch wheels and £165. oh dear.

I would not have accepted this, it is well know and common practice to match across axle at least.

The dealer knows this and if he could not repair in this manner he/she should have advised so.

Different brand tyres and tread patterns will behave differently and will affect the handling. Perhaps you will never notice depending on how you drive, but on a rainy day during heavy braking it could have a significant impact on the predictability of the handling under braking/cornering etc...

Ask him why he is happy to approve this kind of repair and say that you are not happy with this situation. I think at 81 miles there will not be an issue to replace the correct tyre, if he/she decides to be an *****, then call customer services in Toyota HQ, they are really helpful.

That's bad luck.

I would have said "not best practice" either, but I'm no tyre expert. I would at least like two the same on each axle.

Make sure it drives straight and true and doesn't pull. Tough one to answer that, what's done is done.

Why not ask at a few tyre places what their advice is and what may happen when this is done. If the advice is not to do it then perhaps nicely ask the dealer why they did it. If it's because they hadn't the correct one available immediately they should at least have offered to get it I think and given you the options.

I agree with the other comments here. I would expect to be told their intentions and given the option to agree or decline. Even if they didn't have one in stock they should have been able to get one delivered the next day. Sounds bad practice to me.

Thanks folks. I'll take this further.

Good news - the dealer ordered the correct tyre and fitted it today, having agreed that a new car should have 4 tyres the same. So my 1st brush with Toyota passed muster!

Thanks folks. I'll take this further.

Good news - the dealer ordered the correct tyre and fitted it today, having agreed that a new car should have 4 tyres the same. So my 1st brush with Toyota passed muster!

Good news indeed.