Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aygo Depreciation Value

AygoYugo

I regret to disappoint my fellow Aygo owners but I was dismayed when

I noticed that Whatcar Magazine had seriously marked down the

second hand value of Aygos since I last consulted their listings a few months ago.

Toyota Aygo Hatchback 1.0 VVT-i Blue 3dr:

£9,460 New

£5,325 1 year old (44% depreciation)

£4,350 2 years old (54% depreciation)

£3,550 3 years old (63% depreciation)

£2,825 4 years old (70% depreciation)

Sign of the times I think, house prices are going down too so second hand car prices are bound to go with them

Not sure I totally agree.

You base depreciation on the new car price and the current old car value.

A 3 door Aygo Blue was around 8k new 3 years ago, so if it is worth £3.5k today then that's 56% down, not 63% as stated.

More to the point Autocar values are (IMHO) always utter drivel. Cars appear to be more like £4k, other than high milers, so that would be more like 50% after 3 years, which ain't half bad.

If you do think the second hand values are too low, then there's an easy solution - don't sell.

Prices have dipped in recent months, although I don't think house prices are anything to do with this. More likely the effect of firm sales of these cars during the last few years under the scrappage scheme. As these cars make their way into the second market there was always going to be a knock on effect. I would suggest prices will stabilise over the coming months and well kept examples will remain in demand.

Regards, Neil

I went in to Mr T today and was offered £ 5800.00 for my late (as in two weeks fron 57 ) Aygo Blue, admitted it's done less that 16K and is in mint condition with a host of goodies bolted on but it's still not bad...

I went in to Mr T today and was offered £ 5800.00 for my late (as in two weeks fron 57 ) Aygo Blue, admitted it's done less that 16K and is in mint condition with a host of goodies bolted on but it's still not bad...

You gonna change then Raistlin??

You gonna change then Raistlin??

Toying with a Yaris...

Raistlin, the Yaris is another nice car. We bought the Aygo 'cos my wife's Suzuki Alto was 7 years old and starting to cost money Mr T gave us a good deal and we only wanted a small runabout and the Aygo suited. My bro-in-law, his brother and a couple of people at work have the Yaris and are all v.pleased with their choice.

Good luck with your deal....

I'm sadly changing my Aygo for an Auris on Tuesday morning.

I'll miss my little car when she is gone. :crybaby:

second hand value of Aygos since I last consulted their listings a few months ago.

£9,460 New

This sounds about right, when I took out the PCP with Toyota they gave me a guaranteed value of £3600 after 3 years.

Two and half year old 5 door Aygo Platinum, 08 plate, 30k miles, full main dealer service history, good nick - offered £3800 last week and "snap it up cos it'll be £3500 in a month mate".

Didn't proceed.

What Car and similar rags just spout ****. They like to give the impression they know what they are talking about, when in reality, their figures might as well be rooted in fiction - when was the last time you saw a Dealer/Motor Trader using What Car prices as a basis of offer? There is a reason you have Glasses and CAP ;)

Anyhoo - I'm sure with so many Aygos about their prices are likely to be hit (more on offer/available to buy less premium) but even then they should hold firm because these are still very good cars.

Their value is whatever 'someone' determines it to be/is willing to pay. With so many about, pick and choose the right one and have fun buying one :)

I wouldn't be so quick to rubbish these stats from the car magazines.

What I think may have happened is that the dearly departed government's policy of paying people taxpayers' money to go out and buy new cars caused a lot of people who may have previously considered getting a 2-5 year old model go out and buy a new car instead. This had the knock on effect of causing an artificial dip in demand for cars of roughly that age (such as the Aygo) and consequently a reduction in average prices.

Buying a brand-new car is never the smartest financial decision (I bought my Aygo from new) but replacing an almost new car (less than 5 years old) with something similar but brand-new is downright idiotic.

You may as well enjoy your Aygo and hold on to it for as long as possible.

Edited by another_pleb

Buying a brand-new car is never the smartest financial decision (I bought my Aygo from new) but replacing an almost new car (less than 5 years old) with something similar but brand-new is downright idiotic.

Unquote

I'll take that as a general statement and not personal, another.... :blink:

I ALWAYS change my car at or just before 3 years and ALWAYS buy new.

Yes I know the financial side of that behavior is crap, but it means that I get the latest technical advances, I never (touch wood) have any problems and when I walk into the dealership they all rub their hands with glee and I get the sort of service that we all think we deserve!

- and anyway I like the smell, touch and feel of a new car :)

Having said all thar, my wife's Aygo will be with us for more than 3 years - probably around 6 or 7, then will be replaced with a new vehicle.

I'll take that as a general statement and not personal, another.... :blink:

I ALWAYS change my car at or just before 3 years and ALWAYS buy new.

Yes I know the financial side of that behavior is crap, but it means that I get the latest technical advances, I never (touch wood) have any problems and when I walk into the dealership they all rub their hands with glee and I get the sort of service that we all think we deserve!

- and anyway I like the smell, touch and feel of a new car :)

Having said all thar, my wife's Aygo will be with us for more than 3 years - probably around 6 or 7, then will be replaced with a new vehicle.

I agree, I think in order to stay on the bandwagon of buying new cars you MUST change every 3 years at the latest. After 3 years the residual value tends to drop sharply, and for me personally trading in a car before 3 years makes a new purchase a lot more financially viable. As you say, you will always have a warranty and the 'new car feeling' is lovely too.

I agree, I think in order to stay on the bandwagon of buying new cars you MUST change every 3 years at the latest. After 3 years the residual value tends to drop sharply, and for me personally trading in a car before 3 years makes a new purchase a lot more financially viable. As you say, you will always have a warranty and the 'new car feeling' is lovely too.

That's a somewhat apocryphal point of view if you don't mind me saying. The received wisdom is that a car loses most of its value inside the first 3 years and after that, the depreciation levels off.

Let me ask you a question. Would you replace a 3 year old dog with a puppy just for the sake of that lovely "new dog" feeling?

What a strange analogy, I think the Aygo Labrador makes a perfect gift for Christmas :rolleyes:

Residual values are all about supply and demand. The people who know about these things are as mentioned above, Glasses and CAP, last year the Aygo had one of the best residuals in the UK, we ran an article about it on our website, one of the factors at the moment is the current state of the new car market, sales are down so expect expect residuals on popular models to bear up in the used car market

Strangely enough, book prices have gone UP on RAV4 models to the tune of about £450 in one month so it's not all bad news!

Kingo :thumbsup:

That's a somewhat apocryphal point of view if you don't mind me saying. The received wisdom is that a car loses most of its value inside the first 3 years and after that, the depreciation levels off.

Let me ask you a question. Would you replace a 3 year old dog with a puppy just for the sake of that lovely "new dog" feeling?

Because a dog and a car are exactly the same? :rolleyes: What I mean is that after 3 years the car may be worth so little that for many people the trade-in value may not be enough for them to afford a new car, I'm speaking for myself personally. You seem quite miffed that someone would choose to buy a new car after 3 years?

Because a dog and a car are exactly the same? :rolleyes: What I mean is that after 3 years the car may be worth so little that for many people the trade-in value may not be enough for them to afford a new car, I'm speaking for myself personally. You seem quite miffed that someone would choose to buy a new car after 3 years?

I'm not miffed about people buying a new car every three years, (as I said, I bought my Aygo new and there are benefits to buying new such as cheaper vet's bills service charges). I wouldn't, however, like people to think that it's a wise financial decision or that you won't ever be able to afford a new car again if you don't keep replacing it every 36 months.

Perhaps the dog analogy was a little facetious but I believe that the rest of my argument holds water.

Say you buy a car today for £8,000 and in three years it depreciates by 50% to £4,000 and it continues to decrease in value by 50% every three years. After 12 years, the car will be worth £500 and the car will have cost £7,500 in depreciation.

But say you buy the same car for the same price and replace it every three years, after 12 years you will have lost £16,000 pounds in depreciation (though you will have a car worth £4000). These figures do not take account of inflation, but even if the depreciation was higher than 50%, if the car is still functional after a certain number of years, who cares if it isn't worth anything?

As you say, a newer car will cost less in maintenance but you will save a lot more money by holding onto your old whip(pet).

Edited by another_pleb

Good lord no! The wife yes, but the dog no....

And anyway, if no one bought new cars, where would the second hand ones come from

"Say you buy a car today for £8,000 and in three years it depreciates by 50% to £4,000 and it continues to decrease in value by 50% every three years. After 12 years, the car will be worth £500 and the car will have cost £7,500 in depreciation."

True, but it disregards other expenses. How much will the car have cost you to keep on the road between the years 5 and 12? This is the time when things start failing and passing MOTs can become expensive.

And anyway, if no one bought new cars, where would the second hand ones come from

Why should you worry about magnanamously providing other people with quality second had cars?

How much will the car have cost you to keep on the road between the years 5 and 12? This is the time when things start failing and passing MOTs can become expensive.

That would of course vary from person to person and from car to car but I'd be willing to bet that with a bit of care and attention, the amount would be less than the cost of having to find £4000 every three years to replace a still functional car.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a letter through from my dealer asking if I wanted to trade in my car and get a new one (no prices mentioned), the stupid thing is that the letter arrived 2 weeks after I went there for the 2 year service. If the letter had come before or they had spoke to me about it at the time of the service I might have been more open to being persuaded.

I did think about trading it in, although I'd probably be looking at an IQ rather than a Yaris as they are priced similar to the Aygo and probably a better car. But I've done just under 6k miles in my Aygo and it would probably end up costing me about £5k to upgrade and I'm not sure it's worth it.

I'm a bit ****** with Toyota increasing the warranty to 5 years on a car which is basically exactly the same car as I have which is only warranted for 3 years, I think they should do something about this even if it's just discounting the extended warranty on the Aygo to get the full 5 years.

I'll probably end up sticking with my car for about 6 years now and see what's happening then. Now that Vauxhall have started doing the Lifetime warranty I think other companies are going to have to start doing something similar or loose a lot of business. There;s nothing in their range that really grabs me right now, but I look at the car as a tool mostly (the bike is for the fun) and if I didn't need to worry about major problems with a car for the next 15-20 years I would certainly have to think about it carefully.

• 1 month later...

£9,460 New

New prices have gone up yet again - to £9548 from £9460 for the 3dr Blue.

Such a small increase doesn't seem worthwhile - I'm sure that the VAT increase

in Jan 2011 will be much bigger.

Will be selling my baby just after Christmas, Am going away for six months and we are a two car family so it wont be needed.

Shame as I love my car. Not sure how much it will go for but she has to go!!!