Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Corolla T-Spirit

runboy

I'm picking up my new Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit next week from my local dealer and I was wondering if anyone on here has any advice/tips/things to look for when picking up a new Corolla?.

I trust Toyota should be cause for concern, but having owned an Audi recently and had trouble from day 1 I thought I would seek some opinions!.

Thanks.

Hi runboy

Well what can i say. First you should always look over the paint work! Make sure that it is spot on! But i really think that you are going to have no problems owning a toyota. And if you have any trouble Iam sure your local garage will be more than pleased to help.

Dont worry about customer service. I find my local dealer to be really helpful. Perhaps that is different at an audi dealer.

So dont worry mate. you'll be in great hands :D So just enjoy yourself and the car.

And oh yes welcome to the toyota owners club. :P

jerry

I bought my 1.6 Tspirit in December 2002

Check for sunroof leaks, open the roof pour a good quantity of water down the front drain holes. If you have a leak, you will find water in one or both sides of the front windowscreen trunking, you can easily remove these by just pulling them off. the water runs down the roof lining into the top of the truncking forming a puddle. The cause is that the front drain pipes do not seal tightly onto their connectors.

You may also notice on the outside that the roof around the front edges of the sunroof is deformed in one or both corners. This is a manufacturing fault and varies in severity.

The head lights also dim occasionally as detailed in another post on the Tsport model. This is also another manufactering fault a Toyota GB are looking into it.

I have also got problems with the alloy wheels, which are pitted at the bottom of the radius of each spoke. The lacquer is also crazed and a liitle on the thin side. My dealer has offered to replace all four wheels. He states that he has replaced hundreds of Lexus alloys with the same fault.

The head lights mist up slightly on cold damp days.

I think that when all these faults are rectified, the car should be ok. Make sure your dealer fills in a product report so that Toyota sort these problems out for future buyers.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there

I pick up my new T-Spirit up in Sep 02.

I did a through check of the car, but found nothing wrong with it, from a new car's point of view.

Now some 5-6months down the line, i have a few minor points.

On starting the car, it sometimes doesn't start first time, kinda embassering from a new car.

Also, as idle timing is so low, i've stalled it many times, with the slight starting probleming, really does look bad.

I've yet to get it check out, but just keep an eye out for this, incase it happens to you as well.

Bing

My Tspirit has now developed another problem. The engine has started sounding rough as low as 2500rpm. I know they sound loud at about 3500 rpm but mine has developed a high pitch "growl". I took it to the dealer and he said it is a faulty inlet manifold, a common fault on the 1.6. He is fitting a new modified one next week. I was told that the low idle is normal but in severe cases the faulty manifold can cause stalling. Well so far I have had new alloy wheels, and I am awaiting a mod kit for the dimming headlight problem. I think this is poor coming from Toyota. Must be because they are built in Britain....

Thanks for the comments guys.

I've had my TSpirit for a few weeks now and things are ok.

Comments so far are:

Creaking comming from around the panel where the electric mirror controls are-dealer tried once to fix but not done.

Handbrake cable appears loose-bizzare this one. When you apply the handbrake cable, even on a slight slope, the car will roll slightly until it bites. Then when you take the handbrake cable of and bring up the clutch, the car will move a few inches forwards and then you feel a jolt as it feels as though the handbrake actually comes off. Again dealer hasn't fixed on first attempt.

Banging noise from the rear. I thought the parcel shelf maybe banging on the runners, but even though I have stuck felt on the runners there is still the occasional bang. I think it could be a loose number plate. Again dealer not fixed on first attempt.

So those are the only problems (apart from me crashing into someones towbar the other week craking my bumper and the dealer fixing it but me having to go back once becuase of the poor workmanship).

One question-how are the revs at idle on these 1.6 vvti's?. When mine is warm it "hunts" around 800 rpm-not a constant rev but slightly up and down. Is this normal?.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Runboy

On my Tspirit 1.6 the idle settles down between 575 and 600 RPM. I have been told that this is normal (600 +- 50 rpm). I have been in 2 other cars, a 1.6 T3 and Tspirit both were the same. It sound like your idle is on the high side for a new corolla. Given that it is hunting around alot you may have a inlet manifold leak, apparently this is a known problem on the 1.6, (as is my present problem of a noisy inlet manifold caused my the honey comb section coming loose inside, sounds like a blown exhaust I am having a new one fitted next week). The low idle is set by the engine management but if the throttle position screw has been tampered with this could also cause a higher erratic idle.

Take it back to the dealer they will check it out on there computer.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments guys.

So far the car is going back for the third time to have the repair work done correctly (still poor panel gap fit).

Also the dealer has not done the three jobs I asked them to do-the noise from behind the electric mirror control panel (read on herer this is a connector rattle rather then traditional panel fit noise), the handbrake free-play and the banging noise from the rear when you go over bumps.

And guess what-found water dripping on the inside of the car tonight and found the roof lining above the passenger soaking wet-looks like the sunroof as mentioned above. Gits :(

Try not to worry mate. I'm sure that they will get every thing sorted in the end mate :D

jerry!!

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly I have changed my user name from GAZZA to GAZ as my PC crashed last week with all my reg details.

Toyota have had problems with the sunroof since I purchased my first Tspirit in March 2002. In fact alot of the problems with rattles from seats, cd player, glove box etc still remain today. I have had three Tspirits since March 2002 and all including my latest one purchased in December 2002 have the same problems as the early models. The only reason I stayed with Toyota was down to the good customer service support and the hope that they would get it right. Now some 50,000 cars later they still continue to have problems.

The sunroof can be cured by dropping down the roof lining at the front of the car and removing the sunroof drain hoses and rapping ptfe tape around the hose connectors to create a good water tight seal. At present the hoses are a loose fit on the connector (only held on by a weak hose clip) and in some cases will fall of completely flooding the roof lining.

I have now had a new modified inlet manifold, another known fault which sounds like a blown exhaust (present only on the 1.6 engine). A new set of alloys and yes my car is developing rattles in the same areas some other members have complained about. The engines on all mt Tspirits seem to get noiser every 1000 miles. This car has only done 1700 and it growls

A friend of mine at work has now sold his May 2002 Corolla Tspirit which had similar problems. He has now bought a jap built Celica which he is very happy with.

I shall keep mine for another 12 months in the hope that they might fix most things, failing this if other problems develop then I think it will be get rid! Keep complaining to customer services or even ask for a new car, who knows you might get a good one?

Like the look of the new Audi A3 due out in June...

Hi gaz. Well what can i say. Its a shame that you are having all this trouble with your car. You will have to keep on a your dealer until all the problems have being fixed. Failing this get in contact with toyota GB they will chase up with the problems and perhaps you might get a result.

jerry!!

I'm picking up my Corolla T-spirit tomorrow after the third attempt of correctly fitting a new front bumper. Also asked them to look at the jobs I listed above that they didn't do first time round-and of course the sopping wet roof.

Oh well, here is to a succesful pick up!.

Hi,

for your rattling issues, check this thread plz:

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/show.ph.../ST/f/40/t/1429

You will be able to fix glovebox and reg. plate easily

as to idling rpm - if your A/C is on, your car idle will be going up and down slightly, due to a/c compressor drawing power

handbrake loose fit - there is inch or more of free movement of handbrake... it makes it appear that handbrake is loose, but it is not... this happens on most toyota vehicles, and it is not considered an issue - you dealer will simply not be able to fix it...

as to loud engine noise - it is an 4cyl engine developing 110hp at 6,000 rpm... it will always be fairly loud... we have 3 corolla's, 2 of them 1.6 and neither of them is too loud after 10,000 and 14,000 miles...

Spwolf,

Could you please give me a little more info more on the rattle that appears to come from the base of the driver's seatbelt as detailed in item 7 of the rattles web page link. I now have a creaking/cracking sound from this location when going over slight bumps. It appears to be coming from the rear door like the hinges cracking. I notice that the rear seat base makes a similar sound if you move it up and down slightly on the corner.

One other question I had to have the inlet manifold changed for a modified version as the ribbing inside failed. Are you aware of this issue on the 1.6 Corolla Tspirit? Thing is, it used to growl/vibrate terribly before as you accelerated in 1st, 2nd and 3rd getting worse each week, this is greatly improved now with the new manifold but I still hear a lower version even when revving the vehicle while at a stand still. Its mainly from 800 to 2700 rpm. I have only done 1800 miles in the car will things improve?

Last question can the idle be incresed from my present 600rpm to say 650rpm so the engine dosen't rock the car so much. This low rpm was the same on the previous 2 cars.

Thanks for your time

Gaz

Do you have 3 door or 5 door model?

I will check for the revs, and see what our own Corolla 1.6's rev at...

Spwolf

Thanks for offering to help. I have the 5 door Corolla Tspirit 1.6 VVT. I have removed the side panel from the centre pillar separating the driver and rear passenger doors, the cracking sound is definitely coming from low down near the seat belt reel which joins the pillar and cross-member with the drivers seat mounted on it. I just can't locate the cracking sound. Could it be coming from the rear passenger door and transmitting through the pillar?

I would appreciate any info you could give me on the idle RPM for this engine.

Thanks again

Gary

Gaz - thats not a "common" issue with Corolla, so I never experienced anything like that so I wouldnt know to tell you where to look - issue metioned in tsport forums is with 3 door corolla and has not appeared in 5 door model... indeed our two 5 doors dont have have any squakes or sounds...

As to idling, I checked today and I saw it idles at 600-650... and indeed is a little bit rough at that stage, although nothing major... I really didnt have time today to hook it up to computer and check it out excactly... i will try to do so in next few days... i actually sell them so I have little experience with their ECU, maybe it is possible to program revs to idle a bit higher? or maybe not... my TS idles at 800 when warm, and it is fairly quiet

P.S. just make sure it is not your registration plate - i spent two hours looking for an squak that I was sure it was coming from rear bench, even when i was sitting @ rear bench, and it turned out to be reg. plate - since it has only two screw holes at the top, bottom of the plate is lose so it tends to hit the trunk when going even after small bumps...

Spwolf,

I have already stuck the rear number plate down. I went out in the car last night in the back and the cracking/ knocking sound is definitely coming from the drivers door centre pillar, I don't know what's causing it. I have booked it in for a week Monday will have to see what the dealer makes of it.

Thanks for the idle info. please let me know if it can be raised.

Gary

One problem which my localtoyota arage told me to watch out for is oil misting from the rear of the sump.

gaz - i am not sure yet, but since ur going to service center this week, i guess you can simply ask them?

• 2 weeks later...

I pick up my new T-Spirit on Saturday, I suppose my main concern of the problems mentioned (i.e. dimming lights, alloy wheels, squeaks and the sunroof leaking) in the sunroof problem. I assumed I could test for it quite easily with a water hose, but I get the impression it is something that can work loose at a later date. Runboy you mentioned yours leaked, did it give any lasting damage to your car i.e. you mentioned the roof lining was soaking wet, did it dry out OK? I am a bit worried to do what Gaz says to cure the problem as it seems a bit above my capabilities!

Also regarding the light dimming problem someone mentioned in another post that it happened particularly when TRC and VSC are active, what are TRC and VSC?

An update....

After 4 attempts, the repair is actually looking good!. Took them long enough.

The leaking sunroof........they did a 15 minute water test on it and not a drop inside!. I'm suspicious but what can you do. My car has been washed and in the rain since and not a drop inside so I hope it doesn't return. nickyaddis-in reply, I put my car in the garage with the windows down and it dried out fine-no stains or smells!.

The tappings from behind the electric mirror control panel is now an intermittent low buzz which I will live with for the time being.

The boot knocking is better, but still there. I will do more tests myself when I can-tools out, parcel shelf out, prod and poke every crevice etc etc to see if I can locate.

Handbrake-they just tightened it up-a little better but still a noticeable movement. But, I now can live with it better by applying the handbrake just as the car rolls to a halt and it works. If you stop, keep foot on brake for a few seconds or more then apply handbrake it does it more. Weird.

Anyway, no dimming lights problem or alloy wheel problem. Another creak from the centre console has crept in so I'll be poking the dash to try and cure/identify!.

Now running on Shell Optimax-good stuff with a slight lowering in consumption and nice power delivery. Worth the extra 4p/l!.

Runboy,

Glad you are getting somewhere with the Corolla Tspirit. I am having a second modified inlet manifold fitted on Saturday to stop the growling sound the engine makes at low RPM's the first modified exchange should of done this but only lasted a week. I have a knocking/clunking sound coming from the B pillar (separates the driver and rear passenger door). It is worse when cold. It is coming from the base of the pillar where it joins the sill near the seat belt anchor point. I am having it looked at on Saturday, it could be a broken weld. Does anyone else have a similar noise? Please keep me informed if one develops. Rattling noises seem to be a trait with this model.

How does this noise sound (the manifold problem one)?. I noticed today there is a noise there when moving in first gear. When second is selected it melts away. I only noticed it today and it's more of a 'whoosh' sound, or like someone dragging a cup along a table (never could describe sounds!).

Also, how do people find their gearboxes?. I find first to second is a bit rough, with a slight notchy-ness when taking it from fist to second. Also it's a devil to change from first to second quickly-it just does not like it. Ok, the car has only done 1500 miles so I'm hoping it will wear in to a better gear change?.