Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Car, New Member, Needs Advise!

df_genius

Hello,

At the weekend I bought a 1991 H ST182 GT. The car is fairly high miles at 144,000 (most of them were motorway miles), but the engine is a peach, you would not know it had done that many. The engine bay is immaculate for a 13 year old car. The previous owner had the car 9 years. The body overall is excellent, it needs very slight attention but is rust free and could really do with a good polish. The car had approx. £2k spent on it at around 100,000 miles, and I am in the process of changing the cambelt, engine oil, gearbox oil, brake pads (also discs if they are needed), coolant, brake fluid etc. For the last couple of years it was serviced by a friend of the owner. It is a very sound car, everything works as it should. I have just bought a HKS style filter for it and put my Bosch super 4's in the car.

The only bad points I have found on the car are:

1. the gearbox is quite noisy when setting off and at low speeds, the gears engange fine though. Hopefully this will be cured by reneweing the gear oil (that helped the gearbox on my old E92 Corolla)

2. The sunroof mechanism needs some attention. It wont slide, it tilts (slowly) and wont go flat unless it is helped by my hand. I am guessing greasing the mechanism will help this but would appreciate some advise.

3. I need an aerial!! The previous owner went through a car was with the radio on!! d'oh!! Can anyone tell me where I would be able to get an aerial from?? Also, how big a job is it to change? I am assuming I need the whole thing, motor 'n'all!!

Thanks in advance,

David

:thumbsup:

Hi and welcome to Celicas.

I have heard that you can get a replacement mast from the main dealers rather than having to buy the whole aerial but I don't know how easy it is to fit, maybe someone else will have an answer on here...??

I once had to buy the whole aerial for my old gen4 about 6 years ago and it cost £220 and I still had to fit the thing myself :eek:

Good luck :thumbsup:

Hello, from one Dave to another. I had an aerial problem on my last car and discovered that Halfords can supply almost any aerial possible (for cars that is).

Well my Celica is the 6th Generation (1996) and that’s done 165,000 miles and sounds amazing. There is not a hint of anything wrong with it what so ever, with the engine bay in pristine condition. I don’t know if you or anyone else out there can predict when it will pack in?

Dave.

Just recently sold my beloved Celica .. (pics in the sig if ya aint noticed :P )

Anyway.. congrats on the purchase 1st of all.. great car!

The sunroof should be an easy fix... just a bit of grease along the joints.. might be a problem if you cant slide it back at all but you said it would tilt with some help...

so wack soem grease in there if you can see the rollers once its tilted up..

Also have you tried to push the thing back when sliding it back??

Have a go but only go a bit at a time and then apply grease then close it again.. keep running it back and forth with hand power if need be and it should help it out..

Good luck..

tell us how it goes..

p.s) I reckon you better do that in a garage or on a sunny day!.. :lol::thumbsup:

Hi you can get a new mast for about £27 from Toyota just make sure all wiring is connected to motor switch radio on feed new mast in and switch radio off and it should pull the new mast down :D

Thanks guys for the input, as soon as I have spent some time on the car I'll let you know how I got on.

I am a bit of a hi-fi nut and next weekend am going to be tranferring my stereo gear over from the Corolla (Alpine AI-net head unit and changer, Alpine V12 and Mac-audio amps, 12" JBL GT4 sub, 4" Kenwood components in the front and 8" Fenner components in the rear), I had a pretty cool layout in the boot that I aim to improve on for this car (just need a space saving wheel), watch this space for pics of the car....

Cheers,

David

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links