• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nrgizerbunny

• KPARRIS-JONES

• CorollaD4D

• Clawliger

Advancing through and I've got more instruments working. I bought an OBD2 scanner from eBay and the damn thing is duff. will have to buy another one.

• 4 weeks later...

So I hooked myself up with a Toyota Techstream system. this is like a dealer level diagnostic kit. works a treat other than it crashes every now and again.

On to meaningful progress. Today I whipped the exhaust out and welded in a boss for a lambda sensor and hooked up my air fuel ratio gauge.

2011_0730_100233.JPG

2011_0730_112443.JPG

2011_0730_164528.JPG

2011_0730_164843.JPG

next job is a catch can for the vacuum piping and piping up the intercooler to the intake manifold. I have to weld aluminium which I'm told is freaking difficult.

we shall see!

this is mindboggling stuff NRG, your wealth of knowledge is unsurpassed lol! Hopefully the outcome will be as entertaining and enjoyable to read as the process!

Ha, I don't think I have a wealth of knowledge.

I did hook the afr up and then proceeded to crap myself when the thing read lean for about 40 seconds. I thought that was the warm up time of the lambda sensor.

However more thought and I have come to the conclusion the reason why it reads lean for 40 seconds is the air injection pump is making it look lean. in reality the car is probably at 14.7, just my gauge was reading 20+!

really is fantastic build going on here!!

cant wait to see it finished!!!

• 2 weeks later...

And for todays update, I have piped the whole thing up. wahoo.

Problem is the Battery does not fit anymore. time for a spot of welding.

One of the guys on here was talking about moving the Battery to the boot which is an interesting idea, would save some space anyway :)

Be great to see the fruits of your labour, the torque is gonna be incredible over standard.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay some progress updates:

1. The Battery, I've bought an Aygo Battery and the car starts up without a hitch. I just need to fab up a Battery tray for it. That is much easier said than done!

2. The 100% guaranteed to fit Monkeywrenchracing Fuel pump that I bought does not fit! the euro fuel sender unit looks nothing like the US one, so I've got a few issues there. It looks like I'll need to machine a bit from the housing and get it to fit in. The new pump is 39mm diameter, the stock pump is 37mm diameter. I have butchered my existing assembly to the point where the car will not start so I have ebayed a replacement! I will also have to ditch the intank fuel filter and get an external one.

Aygo Battery is much much smaller and hence lighter,

its only 175mm x 175mm, the standard corolla Battery is 235mm x 180mm.

There are two drawbacks with the Aygo Battery.

1. If you like to park up at McDonald's and run your stereo for prolonged periods, then forget it, the aygo battery is only 38Ah, the standard one is 50Ah, so you lose about 20%

2. The Aygo battery puts out 390CCA of cranking power, the standard corolla battery puts out 500A, so if it is very very cold, you may have problems starting. Bare in mind that Toyota designed the corolla t start at -30C so you probably have some fat to play with. Also bare in mind that I have to drive a supercharger round and it still starts the car so I think it is well overrated.

The aygo battery posts are the same orientation so you don't have to butcher wiring and the posts have the same dimensions so you can use the existing clamps.

picture of aygo battery

would running the aygo Battery with the MWR alternator pulley effect it more? i have no ice in the car and often charge up my Battery at work a couple of times over winter

cheers

luke

would running the aygo battery with the MWR alternator pulley effect it more? i have no ice in the car and often charge up my battery at work a couple of times over winter

cheers

luke

Once the car is running there is no difference to a normal Battery. It's only if you park up or leave the car for a week in the freezing cold and then attempt to start it that you might have a problem.

Have you thought about sticking the Battery in the boot, that would free up more space in the bay.

Or are you trying to keep it oen as much as poss?

I don't fancy losing boot space so I'm going to stick it where it is but with an aygo battery.

Fair one, im quite suprised how little much space it took up.

Are you trying to keep it oem too?

I don't fancy losing boot space so I'm going to stick it where it is but with an aygo battery.

Fair one, im quite suprised how little much space it took up.

Are you trying to keep it oem too?

I don't understand what you mean by keeping it OEM?

well it's not so much looking like the factory machine, I am a man of practicality so I need the boot space for going to b and q etc.

As an engineer, function is more important than form!

I think the only exterior mod that I would do is possibly get a TTE bumper.

I ment to ask does the aem air/fuel ratio thingy just tell you your air/fuel ratio or does it control it via your apexi?

The AFR sensor can feedback to the apexi but i'm going to feed the signal back. I've just got it to help me tune it.