Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cts Supercharger

nrgizerbunny

by using an intercooler larger than required aren't you effectively reducing the power gains from the charger? (assuming you don't use a smaller pulley or make any other changes)

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nrgizerbunny

• KPARRIS-JONES

• CorollaD4D

• Clawliger

by using an intercooler larger than required aren't you effectively reducing the power gains from the charger? (assuming you don't use a smaller pulley or make any other changes)

Yes,

The perfect intercooler would have zero pressure drop and the ability to cool the charge air to the same temperature as the ambient air. Unfortunately there is nothing like that on the planet so you have a compromise to make.

You can either go for minimal pressure drop (ie don't bother with one) OR

Live with the pressure drop but get a cool charge.

In my opinion option 2 is always better, the pressure drop with a roots blown car is small and if it does get bad you can bolt on a smaller pulley. If you have high temperature you are screwed because the ECU will detect the onset of knock and !Removed! the ignition which results in less power.

• 3 weeks later...

I could have gone a bit faster had it not been wet and the car spinning wheels in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear! LOL

Awsome work mate the mincing squirrel sounds epic lol but the whine off your charger doesn't howl? Have u got the standard airbox on still?

Nope, I've got a cone filter on the inlet of the supercharger. The airbox is still in the car, I have just left it in but disconnected

And... the moment has finally arrived when 306PS is not enough. it didn't take too long! Hence I'm increasing the power.

I have been busy tinkering and trying to figure out a way to get the power down. Low and behold an electronic differential (copied from a Subaru!)! not quite perfected it yet but it's a work in progress.

The basic principle is as you hammer the throttle around a bend, it applies braking force to the front driven wheel if it senses slipping. This is not as easy as it sounds because brakes like to respond to digital signals and are essentially on/off - I need a sort of partial on feeling and that requires some high frequency modulation.

And... the moment has finally arrived when 306PS is not enough. it didn't take too long! Hence I'm increasing the power.

I have been busy tinkering and trying to figure out a way to get the power down. Low and behold an electronic differential (copied from a Subaru!)! not quite perfected it yet but it's a work in progress.

The basic principle is as you hammer the throttle around a bend, it applies braking force to the front driven wheel if it senses slipping. This is not as easy as it sounds because brakes like to respond to digital signals and are essentially on/off - I need a sort of partial on feeling and that requires some high frequency modulation.

Your a crafty....

Your a crafty....

indeed.

LSD will not give me launch control or the ability to dial in more or less differential effect.

How much bhp is that mate?

I will take a punt at 349.04 BHP! :thumbsup:

It is about as much as I dare go with the transmission and drive shafts. I think the limit of the driveshafts is about 310PS, I'm just reliant on the tyres slipping! LOL.

I'm not going to mod the car any more for more power hence my last update.

It is about as much as I dare go with the transmission and drive shafts. I think the limit of the driveshafts is about 310PS, I'm just reliant on the tyres slipping! LOL.

I'm not going to mod the car any more for more power hence my last update.

your not going to push for more power out of it ?? why ?? i would keep pushing it . and for the driveshafts and box buy the adapter kit from MWR to run the MR2 gear box with an LSD and you could launch at the limiter all day lol thats what am doing anyway

can i ask how you just got an extra 40bhp from your car? something in the tuning file you changed?

@corollaD4D

Running a smaller pulley equals more boost and consequently more power. The problem is you generate a bit more heat by doing that but in my case I have a very large intercooler so the heat gain is negligible.

@scott

Even if you bolt in the MR2 gearbox, you've got FWD and the same driveshafts. Stress always finds its way to the weakest point - either the driveshafts or major wheelspin.

@corollaD4D

Running a smaller pulley equals more boost and consequently more power. The problem is you generate a bit more heat by doing that but in my case I have a very large intercooler so the heat gain is negligible.

@scott

Even if you bolt in the MR2 gearbox, you've got FWD and the same driveshafts. Stress always finds its way to the weakest point - either the driveshafts or major wheelspin.

Lol you dont have alot of faith in fwd do you lol.. from the weekends iv spent with TDI north at santa pod iv seen there gear box go once it ripped all the teeth.of 2nd gear but thats running about 900bhp lol and wheel spin isnt really that bad with drag slicks

i'm assuming the smaller pulley turns the charger faster for a given number of turns of the belt? and is this a linear increase in power or is there a point at which a smaller pulley would spin the charger faster than it is designed to?

i think upgrading to larger and wider wheels will give you more friction area in contact with the road and if you get some decent tyres you may be ok with the increase in power. not sure about 1st and 2nd gear but 3rd onward should be ok?