Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cts Supercharger

nrgizerbunny

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nrgizerbunny

• KPARRIS-JONES

• CorollaD4D

• Clawliger

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent work mate , wish i could fab up like that :thumbsup: well done!

S c o t t y

Today's update.

After some major tom foolery with the fuel pump, I have managed to get it to work. In hindsight it was really simple, unfortunately hindsight is a wonderful thing!

Anyway time to pipe the baby up and give it some beans

• 3 weeks later...

video of the car, engine bay, pipework, maybe a little commentary on what different bits are? Oh and it would be rude not to rev it too lol :)

Okay, I'm progressing with the pipe beading and need to straighten a few bits of pipe before putting the hump on them.

I have fiddled with the boost piping some more to stop the dipstick flying out, hopefully I'll have that sorted shortly.

Got the blow off valve pipe squared up in the lathe today so that'll be going in at the weekend.

Not much on the performance front until the weekend.

Can I ask one question...all the work you did with the fuel pump, and other work if I can call it "not directly associated with" the charger. Is this to improve the reliability or was this to enable the charger to work best?

Forgive my ignorance but I honestly thought this would be simple as mount the charger, get a belt to drive it and throw on a nice big FMIC.

Good question and I guess it deserves a good answer.

one of the problems is the engine was designed to work under a slight vacuum and as a result it sprays in a corresponding amount of fuel and also pulls vapours out of the crank case to burn them and keep emissions low.

Once you bolt on a turbo or supercharger, the engine is now force fed with air, to put it in simple terms it would be the difference between sucking water up through a straw or connecting your mouth up to a water hose!

Nobody has supercharged a UK built corolla with a rotrex before, therefore some things I have done have been to understand the limits of the engine. The fuel pump is a good example, I took the fuel pump out of the car and tested it, establishing that it was not man enough for the job. In the process of changing it, I realised how rubbish the OEM fuel pump was. I think it was a cost cutting measure by toyota and it is common across the 1.4 and 1.6 petrol cars too.

I understand, basically with the charger working the OEM fuel pump couldn't have supplied enough fuel to the injectors, not allowing the engine to realise it's full potential?

If I understand it correctly then the engine acted as it's own pump to a small extent, the vacuum within the intake draws out more fuel through the system , but with the Supercharger bolted on there won't be a large enough negative pressure area to draw the fuel through, instead the compressed air has the opposite or lesser effect. Thus he needs a beefier pump to push more fuel through...

KP

KP hit the nail on the head.

The other issue is the fuel pump pressure output gets less as you get higher engine speed. eg at low engine load you get 3bar fuel pressure. If you cane the car towards the red line, the fuel pressure drops because the pump can't handle it and perhaps you get 2.4bar. Because the fuel pressure drops the fuel does not vaporise very well. The pressure drop on the aftermarket fuel pump is MUCH less.

Decat done! Just need to sort out the pesky engine light. it hasn't come on yet but struggling with the waveform bizarrely

Good stuff, any chance of a picture or two? I love how OEM it looked before, such a sneaky job! :)

KP

Just generally pictures of the engine bay and how it' all laid out :thumbsup:

I want to see what the whole thing will look like! :D

KP

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links