Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Horrible Noise

Kiz87

Hi I have an 02 CTS and when the car is engine braking (from motorway speeds mostly onto slip roads) and then setting off again there is a loud noise coming from somewhere. The noise sounds like something is still spinning freely, bearings somewhere maybe? what do people think?

heatshield, manifold, wheel bearing, window seal, could be anything. any more specifics?

It's really hard to explain the noise to be honest. Sounds its not a grinding noise or a rattle, just sounds like a barrel rolling. Someone heard it and thought it sounded like lsd bearings going but as the it has no lsd im a bit confused.

I think I know what you mean, obviously without hearing it I cant be 100% but mine does this and so does a lot of other peoples CTS's, seems to be a common fault

Have a look at these

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=42192

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=97397

O cool thankyou, yeh I'd read them as well but I dont get it when driving just at low gears, its once Ive been driving at a fast speed and then slowing down through the gears and pulling off again but then it goes. Think I'll get the clutch changed and upgraded at the same time and go from there because by the time Ive had a garage take the gearbox apart I would have paid a bit anyway. You modified your CTS at all reidy?