Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Phone Won't Charge In The Car.

funkyg

Hi guys.

I have an iPhone 3GS that I use for sat nav in the car.

I use a 3-in-1 cigarette lighter adaptor so I can plug in my iPhone and my iPod kit at the same time.

A few months ago I had my phone exchanged due to a fault on it. A few weeks after this my charger stopped working so I replaced it for a new one.

However the iPhone will only charge intermittently. I thought it was the phone so exchanged it again and still have the same problem.

My iPod kit works perfectly plugged into the adaptor. If I plug the phone charger directly into the cigarette lighter it shows the same problem.

The Apple people tell me it must be the car or the charger, because it charges first time every time if I plug it into a computer USB port or the mains charger.

However I have tried someone elses new iPhone and that seems to work all the time in my car. The light is on the charger indicating it's plugged in and getting power.

Help!

Could there be something not quite right with the cigarette lighter or do you think it’s the charger or phone? I've noticed that if the engine is off, and I turn the key one click sometimes if I turn it off and on a couple of times it will then charge the phone.

Cheers.

Hi guys.

I use a 3-in-1 cigarette lighter adaptor so I can plug in my iPhone and my iPod kit at the same time.

A few months ago I had my phone exchanged due to a fault on it. A few weeks after this my charger stopped working so I replaced it for a new one.

However the iPhone will only charge intermittently. I thought it was the phone so exchanged it again and still have the same problem.

My iPod kit works perfectly plugged into the adaptor. If I plug the phone charger directly into the cigarette lighter it shows the same problem.

The Apple people tell me it must be the car or the charger, because it charges first time every time if I plug it into a computer USB port or the mains charger.

However I have tried someone elses new iPhone and that seems to work all the time in my car. The light is on the charger indicating it's plugged in and getting power.

Help!

Could there be something not quite right with the cigarette lighter or do you think it’s the charger or phone? I've noticed that if the engine is off, and I turn the key one click sometimes if I turn it off and on a couple of times it will then charge the phone.

Cheers.

The light on the charger indicates that it is getting power from the car but is there an output on the lead to the phone?

Fitter

• Like 1

Hi guys.

Help!

Cheers.

The light on the charger indicates that it is getting power from the car but is there an output on the lead to the phone?

Fitter

Just a thought but pretty sure that the make up of a charging cable for an Ipod touch and a 3GS is different. Son had both for a while

and the Ipod Touch charging cable would NOT charge his 3GS and vice versa. Just a thought. Whatever Apple says they are not the same.

Fitter

Yes there is. If I plug it into my old iPod it works.

• 12 years later...

Hi there, I have the same kind of problem. My iPhone 6s charges ok in my 2007 ford S-max.
But will not charge on the socket on my 2004 Toyota even though I’m getting 12 volts from the lighter socket and I’m using the same adapter (cigarette Lighter socket to usb) in both cars. Has anyone come up with a solution yet?

cheers Tony

Tony, are you sure your charger adapter is seating properly in the Toyota?  It is possible that it fits but is not making contact.  Can you see if anything else if getting power from the adapter?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links