Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bulbs - Is It Just Me

vikvallabh82

Is it just me, or is the process of changing the dipped headlight a really pain in the behind!!! Anyone got any tips to make it less painful?

VIk

its difficult for all of us but easy way to do it is use needle nose pliers. Failing that i now just find its quicker to remove the bumper and headlights.

I have to as i have HIDS, Bit of patience use the needle nose pliers to undo the spring and just push down on it so it slips free.

It will open up like a cage slip bulb out and your good.

my hands are larger than normal but i didnt have too much trouble before i had hids. on the right passenger side taking the Battery out helps a lot.

Did my dip, mains and sides today went the dropping the bumper route and did it in 2 hours that includes numerous cuppas and chatting to the neighbours aswell, not bad for a first attempt going the bumper dropping way.

Could do it in half that taking my time from know on, it's only a matter of doing it once to find out for yourself what to do.

Last time I did them was my first attempt at changing the lights on a Corolla and I tried doing it with the bumper on which was a right pain, drop the bumper first as last IMO.

• 4 weeks later...

Am in the process of trying to do this on a 53 Corolla, but I can't get the connector unplugged. Any tips/tricks, before I go down the route of taking the Battery out to get easier access?

Am in the process of trying to do this on a 53 Corolla, but I can't get the connector unplugged. Any tips/tricks, before I go down the route of taking the battery out to get easier access?

Have you taken the spring off the back first.

Don't take the Battery out all together undo the bracket and slide it to the left leaving the cables connected this should give you enough room, this is how I did it the first time I changed mine, still a bit tight but managable. :thumbsup:

Undid the Battery bracket and slid the Battery about 5mm to the left and that was enough to reach the bit of the retaining clip I needed. All sorted now :-)

I was surprised how much force was needed to unclip the connector.

They are a pain.

If you need to do more than one or if you want to change all the bulbs like I did a few weeks back go down the route of removing the bumper a bit tricky the first time you do it but if I had to do it again it would be easy .

them damn connections can be welded on sometimes.

changed a bulb for my sister today and even with the Battery out it was a task to get the connection off, never would have been able to do it without taking the Battery out

yes they are a pain! found it easier to remove the bumper in the end, then you can remove the headlight or at least pull it forward to get the connector off.