Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Clutch Issue

A1an

I have recently bought a Rav4, great little jeep with loads of toy but I do have a concern about the clutch, more so the clutch PEDAL, it has recently gone to the floor on a couple of occasions and stayed there, the missus stuck her foot under the pedal and lifted it back up and all seems well. I also noticed it is rather stiff to depress and releases the clutch just millimeters from the floor.

The 80k service was done just under a thousand miles ago and the brake fluid was replaced, Toyota have done a POOR job of bleeding the system and there is ALOT of travel on it but I can sort that, could the 2 be related?

Many thanks.

Alan.

Hi Alan

The clutch and the brakes share the same reservoir so yes it could be related. Clutches do tend to stiffen with age but that is due to the tempering in the diaphragn. You also need to check that the pedal has a return spring and that it isn't broken. I have known in the past where contamination has caused the master cylinded to stick down or somebody has used DOT 5 brake fluid which is not compatible with synthetic based DOT 3, 4 or 5.1. and caused the rubbers to swell.

Do a bit of digging and come back if you are stuck.

Hi Alan

The clutch and the brakes share the same reservoir so yes it could be related. Clutches do tend to stiffen with age but that is due to the tempering in the diaphragn. You also need to check that the pedal has a return spring and that it isn't broken. I have known in the past where contamination has caused the master cylinded to stick down or somebody has used DOT 5 brake fluid which is not compatible with synthetic based DOT 3, 4 or 5.1. and caused the rubbers to swell.

haha ancs

the guy is 4000 feet up a hill .. might it be an atmospheric problem? Ah mean, its 500 miles north of the centre of the universe???? And 400 miles from Derbyshire. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alan - am only joking - ancs is a star albeit he lives in another country..... with climatic conditions that we up here aren't quite understood by those south.

I'd go back to the dealer and suggest that they have mucked up and see what they say. Threaten them that you will trade it in for 5 landrovers if they are stubborn.... and tell the rest of the world.

Hi Alan

haha ancs

the guy is 4000 feet up a hill .. might it be an atmospheric problem? Ah mean, its 500 miles north of the centre of the universe???? And 400 miles from Derbyshire. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alan - am only joking - ancs is a star albeit he lives in another country..... with climatic conditions that we up here aren't quite understood by those south.

I'd go back to the dealer and suggest that they have mucked up and see what they say. Threaten them that you will trade it in for 5 landrovers if they are stubborn.... and tell the rest of the world.

Il look into it and lean on the Toyota dealer and see how far I get. Unfortunately the dealer in question is 3 hours from me.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links