Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mobil Super Fe 5W30 Oil For Prius Mk2

rodi

Hi,

Do you know if Mobil Super FE 5w30 semi synthetic oil is fine for Prius MK2? I know my local Toyotas is recomending Castrol Magnatec, but I was wondering if Mobil Super FE would do any harm.

BTW Mobil Super FE 5l it's on offer at Asda's for £10 at the moment.

Kind Regards

Hi,

Do you know if Mobil Super FE 5w30 semi synthetic oil is fine for Prius MK2? I know my local Toyotas is recomending Castrol Magnatec, but I was wondering if Mobil Super FE would do any harm.

Kind Regards

hi

Mobil fe is the ford diesel/petrol spec. when i had my mondeos i purchased a a 25 ltr drums of it.

this was from morris oils ,made to the exact same spec.so when got my i.6 vvti i rang morris to ask if this oil was suitable for it as i had about 10 ltr left in the can and the tec man (who was very helpful and not at all pushy with their products)told me no it was not. as 1.6 vvti requies a sm/sl spec oil.they do 3 choices of the correct oil 1 semi synthetic and 2 fully synthetic the top spec was a bit of a overkill that and he said it would be a waste of money using it,and suggested the other fully synthetic.

i was just going to order it (2 x 5 ltr cans was post free) when i found out that asda was doing Mobil 5w-30 esp at £32 at its main stores and as this was about £15 cheaper than Halfords was doing it for.this oil met all the specs required for the vvti.

as your engine is an atkins i dont know what the oil specs are,i beleave some need 0w-20 and others require 5w-30 but be sure you use the correct grade and spec.if its 5w-30 then if the Mobil 5w-30 esp shows on the can to have the same specs as your handbook reccomends the if it was me i would go for that.its a top oil.

Hi,

Kind Regards

hi again further to above

Castrol do a choice of their magnatec 5w -30 for different applications.these can be brought over the counter at a lot of outlets.but there is another one called Castrol magnatec professional c2 5w-30 this can only be purchased at a dealers.my local toyota uses it at its 3 branches.no doubt it will cost more.maybe this is magnatec your dealer uses,not all do.

there is another magnatec professional for jaquars, also only available at jag dealers.

if your attracted by the price (£10)remember,oil is cheaper than bearings,get the best you can.

I just had a quick look at the workshop manual, it says

API grade SL and SM

"Energy-Conserving",

SL "Energy-Conserving" SM or

ILSAC multigrade engine oil

So NO to FE 5w 30

Your dealer should be able to do this oil in 5 litre containers for a good price (haggle)

08880-80845 5W30 Fuel Efficient (FE) TGMO 5 LTR API SL ACEA A1/B1 5W30

Kingo :thumbsup:

I just had a quick look at the workshop manual, it says

API grade SL and SM

"Energy-Conserving",

SL "Energy-Conserving" SM or

ILSAC multigrade engine oil

So NO to FE 5w 30

Your dealer should be able to do this oil in 5 litre containers for a good price (haggle)

08880-80845 5W30 Fuel Efficient (FE) TGMO 5 LTR API SL ACEA A1/B1 5W30

hi kingo

Mobil 5w-30 esp has this spec.he should head for asda.be cheaper than dealer.

the spec you give is the same vvti spec in my handbook for VVTI

funny thing though i found the leaflet for the Castrol magaetic professional c2 5w-30 the spec is as follows

ACEA A1/B1,A5/B5,C2 this oil is the recommended for diesel with particulate filters as well as petrol engines, but there is no mention of SM or SL spec though in the leaflet.

the local dealer is making a thing of this oil stating how they giving the best for their customers.

It's a minefield and I'm no expert :wacko:

hi kingo

you may remember i brought this professional oil subject up a while ago on the auris site under diesel engines Castrol problems and got my head bitten off,till someone else contacted Castrol and confirmed.the spec and the fact you cannot buy it over the counter other than a dealer.

did you mean oilfield not minefield.

:lol: :lol:

Yes I remember the thread, I seemed to post up the part numbers once or twice :lol:

:lol: :lol:

Yes I remember the thread, I seemed to post up the part numbers once or twice :lol:

hundreds of numbers you posted.

can i be very cheeky and ask a favour of you,there is no rush for the answer.ive rang my local dealer

to ask if they could tell me the oil press sender switch thread rate,ive rang him several times but he has not found what it is yet,i dont think he is bothered.ive been on line contacted no end of people but no one seems to know its on a 2007 auris 1.6 vvti IZR FE engine.

i could take the old out and check it but its not at all easy to get at.then ive got put it back to get other bits for my project.if i knew before hand it would so much simpler.

i could just buy another switch,but i hate to think what they cost,and it would eat into my save for a spoiler fund.

would be gratefull if you could help.

I've read this thread and I am non the wiser :huh:

Last year my dealer didn't use a 5W-30, and put Castrol SLX 0W-30 in my Gen 2.

hi timberwolf

the Castrol professional grade i mentioned for jaquars was a SLX type.

Ive had a look for that thread size and cannot find it anywhere Acetip, sowwy :( it's not in the workshop manual

Ive had a look for that thread size and cannot find it anywhere Acetip, sowwy :( it's not in the workshop manual

hi kingo

thanks for trying,its not for want of trying myself,one time you had no trouble getting this information.

if you wanted to get a T PIECE for fitting an oil gauge for example then your motor factors would look it up in their book.but modern cars dont have room to fit a gauge,these days,plus if you did fit one it would frightem the life out of you cos oil pressures in modern cars is lot different than early motors.eurocars has a reference book for senders etc but only goes up to 1999.

thanks again for nmaking the effort to help me.

peter.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links