Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Short Changed With 3 Year Warranty?

daf-fy

Are you one of many that bought an Aygo (or any other Toyota for that matter) when it came with a 3 year warranty to then feel short changed when they just happened to increase this to 5 years? (not linked in any way I'm sure with the numerous recalls and bad press received).

I have (and still do) enjoy my Blue (3 years old 2 weeks ago) though there have been a number of issues during this time (fortunately not including water leaks but including many issues with trim, rusting wheel nuts, faulty backbox, fuel sender unit, bubbles in paintwork etc all of which are now resolved other than poor fuel consumption/ wind noise/ excessive tyre and brake wear........).

I had been pushing for an extended warranty from Toyota which has recently been processed so I am now covered upto mid September 2012 (admittedly the extended warranty is not to the same level as the original manufacturer one but a free £350 24 month cover is gratefully accepted nevertheless!)

Curious to see if anyone else has had a similar situation ie various issues and only a 3 year cover.

I am still trying to sort out the fuel consumption/ tyre and brake wear issues so any help/ advice/ personal experiences on these would be welcome!

As I said, even with these issues I really enjoy driving the car and the handling is great for a small hatch, the engine note quite sporty and my Style pack (alloys, fogs, scuff plates) and Custom pack (full black/blue leather interior trim option) with the MMT box and my Alpine sat-nav head unit and subwoofer make it quite unique and stylish.

I plan to do the rev counter mod soon and possibly some other tweaks now that it is out of the manufacturers warranty period.

Cheers in advance for any comments/ suggestions etc.

I had this happen quite early on and they stated that as it was cosmetic and did not affect the operation of the nuts they wouldn't replace them but after further discussions about the fact that I thought they may 'rust on' and not loosen off they replaced them.

I have of course had the 2nd set do the same but as they come off no probs I have accepted fact they are just cheaply made and will go that way. I have fitted plastic nut (sorry bolt - keep forgetting they are bolts!) covers which enhance the appearance of the alloys. I think it is 19mm size that fits?

I think thats a very good result.

I firmly believe that if you approach Toyota with a coherent set of arguments and come across as reasonable, you are likely to get a mutually satisfactory result. Well done on you for standing your ground and getting the 2 years free (better than nothing!) ;)

hi, Nice to here that you got extra 2 yrs, My Toyota Aygo is only 14months old and has been back to the dealer numerous times with Trim, Switch reverse sensors and clutch problems, all I may add have been rectified.

Can I ask you, where and which dept of Toyota did you get in contact with to get the extra 2 yrs ? I know I have quite a while to go before the 3 yrs are up but I'm wondering now what sort of problems I'm going to have once out of warranty period. I bought my Toyota because of there reliability but have found out that they are slipping on the some items.

regards

johnhrh

ihpj - cheers, i agree that if you are polite, reasonable yet assertive and persistant on the issues and the expectations you tend to get further than when you stand in the dealer shouting at someone (I work in retail and always give the polite and genuine customer issues more time than the moan for moanings sake and/or the ones shouting/ swearing etc - i've actually asked people to leave the shop before for being abusive etc!)

johnhrh - I struck up regular contact (mainly by emails but also the odd phone call etc) with Toyota GB Customer Relations dept. Anything that became an issue was copied to them and i kept them updated of progree so that they couldn't turn round and say that the never heard of me having had these issues - eg when had issue with something i would email dealer so had it in writing and copy cust relations when sorted (sometimes took 2 or 3 shots to fix something which was also an issue!) Hope you don't have many more issues and enjoy your Aygo.

yes, i feel lucky to have had the free warranty but i was realistic and didn't push for compensation etc just that with the hassles i'd wasted time/ fuel etc and had lost faith a bit in the product so all i was looking for was for them to restore my faith and give me some assurance that i had been unfortunate and hopefully no further issues would arise so if they had said 'no' to extra 2 years i argued that this would confirm that they believed i would have issues and they didn't want to be 'lumbered' with them!

have fun folks

I had this happen quite early on and they stated that as it was cosmetic and did not affect the operation of the nuts they wouldn't replace them but after further discussions about the fact that I thought they may 'rust on' and not loosen off they replaced them.

I have of course had the 2nd set do the same but as they come off no probs I have accepted fact they are just cheaply made and will go that way. I have fitted plastic nut (sorry bolt - keep forgetting they are bolts!) covers which enhance the appearance of the alloys. I think it is 19mm size that fits?

Yeah well when I mentioned it a few months back after mine started rusting very rapidly, they also said it was cosmetic and that it would cost £200+ to replace them. The woman behind the desk did agree, however, that they look awful (which they do). I'm going to invest in some of the covers I think, although I'd read elsewhere on the forum that they're 17mm? Confuzzled :wacko:

Hi Thanks for the info, All that has been wrong with my Aygo has been rectified first time round, I cannot fault the dealership at all. I love driving the car but I would certainly think twice about getting another Toyota, I don't know if the other models have similar things go wrong.Most of the problems I've had were cosmetic I.e. marks on the trim where the clips were, looked like when trim was fitted it discoloured the trim,Side seat airbag cover was marked, the hazard light switch had small crack in it, but not on the surface, it looked as if it was in the material itself.The reverse sensors stopped working, The main one was clutch judder, they put complete new clutch assembly including flywheel in and it curred it. I've only done 8000m so will see if things settle now, I have all the paperwork after each job was completed.

regards

johnhrh

cant honestly remember if it is 17mm or 19mm - i know that the size i originally bought was wrong and changed the covers to the other sixe.

just can't remember what ones i bought first................

Well...

I wasn't sure myself too. But I had my wrench laying in the hallway, so I took a look at that.

At the 17mm socket it was worn (some of the chrome even came off due to torque) and the

19 and 21mm sockets were new, as well as the 1/2" square, so it was simple deduction :P

I think he builds Aygo's in his garden shed at weekends :drool::yahoo:

That would be difficult without a garden (I live on the second floor) and no shed I can fit a car in :P

That would be difficult without a garden (I live on the second floor) and no shed I can fit a car in :P

Oops!!!! :lol:

Are you one of many that bought an Aygo (or any other Toyota for that matter) when it came with a 3 year warranty to then feel short changed when they just happened to increase this to 5 years? (not linked in any way I'm sure with the numerous recalls and bad press received).

I have (and still do) enjoy my Blue (3 years old 2 weeks ago) though there have been a number of issues during this time (fortunately not including water leaks but including many issues with trim, rusting wheel nuts, faulty backbox, fuel sender unit, bubbles in paintwork etc all of which are now resolved other than poor fuel consumption/ wind noise/ excessive tyre and brake wear........).

I had been pushing for an extended warranty from Toyota which has recently been processed so I am now covered upto mid September 2012 (admittedly the extended warranty is not to the same level as the original manufacturer one but a free £350 24 month cover is gratefully accepted nevertheless!)

Curious to see if anyone else has had a similar situation ie various issues and only a 3 year cover.

I am still trying to sort out the fuel consumption/ tyre and brake wear issues so any help/ advice/ personal experiences on these would be welcome!

As I said, even with these issues I really enjoy driving the car and the handling is great for a small hatch, the engine note quite sporty and my Style pack (alloys, fogs, scuff plates) and Custom pack (full black/blue leather interior trim option) with the MMT box and my Alpine sat-nav head unit and subwoofer make it quite unique and stylish.

I plan to do the rev counter mod soon and possibly some other tweaks now that it is out of the manufacturers warranty period.

Cheers in advance for any comments/ suggestions etc.

Glad to hear you got an extra 2 years warranty - you will probably need it. We have a new Yaris and a new Aygo - they are both currently at the dealer - the Yaris for an unsolvable electrical problem and the Aygo for a water leak...we like the cars to drive but quality is poor - definitely not up to usual Japanese standards....Toyota...never again..back to Honda next time. Good luck!

cheers to everyone for your thoughts and info!

the one issue i am still stuck with is wind noise from the rear edge of the front doors - well the only doors seeing as it is a 3dr model!

Toyota and dealer refuse to fit new style seals which i believe helps wind noise but they apparently going to look into 'other options'?