Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo, C1 Or 107 - Decisions

S.Gibbs

Hi there

Just signed up today. I currently drive an 04 plate Corsa 1.2 Design which has been good for the 16 months I have been driving (I'm 24) until recently. I have a strange indicator problem that no garages seem to know what to do with, had to replace both my front CV joints, still get a lot of creaking at the rear when cornering etc and it generally is just annoying me and I have lost a lot of confidence in it. I also struggle to get much more than 250 miles to the tank due to doing a lot of city driving.

I am now considering changing to a city car such as the Aygo, C1 or 107 and looking to get a used one from an 08 plate onwards.

The only thing putting me off a little is the problems I have heard such as leaks etc. Is this as common in the later models and if anyone has experienced leaks has it been a pricey fix?

At the same time however, I understand that all cars tend to have their faults - I can talk from experience from owning a Corsa :P so maybe I shouldn't let that put me off too much.

I learnt to drive in an Aygo and it seemed great really.

Any opinions on what is better and whether you'd recommend them would be much appreciated.

Steve

asking the Aygo forum which one of the versions (C1/ 107/ AYGO) to recommend is a bit like asking a bank to recommend which account is best - theirs or the competitor across the road!!

I think that the Aygo looks the best and holds it value better. I particularly like the older version ie upto 2009 model as it seems cuter (only thing i like better on new version is rear tail lights)

when looking over car check footwells and boot carefully for signs of water - you tend to find that the Aygo either has an issue with it or it is perfect!

there wasn't a lot of choice in terms of spec - the base model, the '+' and the special edition Blue/ Black/ Platinum which had various 'extras' as standard (bluetooth, leather, alloys etc depending on version)

Even though i've had issues with the car (see other post 'short changed with 3 year warranty?') i would recommend one for its economy, handling and fun factor!!

choose wisely and enjoy!!

I would recommend an Aygo, because they're just more awesome than the C1 and 107.

But in all seriousness - if you find a good deal which is with either the Citroen or Peugeot, then go for it - they are the same car after all.

Well, almost the same car. Because the Aygo is clearly better :)

I have a 107 2 tronic (actually the same MMT box as the Aygo)and have found it a pleasure to drive. The 107s have not had the same leak problems as the Aygo. They do not have door mounted Speakers which has been a big source of the leaks and I think the horizontal rear light cluster has lower wiring holes and water from the wheels is thrown up under the rear bumper. All three cars are basically the same and are all delivered with very rusty castings and wheel nuts which are in many cases not removeable by the tool supplied. The new 5year Toyota warranty is a plus but you are paying for it in a higher price.

The front of yhe Aygo looks the best but I do not like the hoizontal light cluster with the sticking out bit of body work

Never had a problem with my Aygo, it's cheap, fun to drive and is very cool :thumbsup:

A colleague went through the same process earlier this year. After looking at all three it became evident very quickly that the 107 was the best value second hand and this was important to her. Similar aged Aygos to the 107 she found were £1500 more. I have read that main dealer servicing on C1 and 107 is much more expensive.

You'll be happy with either as each is a clone and pretty much the same where it counts.

I would test drive them all and see which best fits your preferences

(But yeah, I vote Aygo too! ;) )...

Hi there

Just signed up today. I currently drive an 04 plate Corsa 1.2 Design which has been good for the 16 months I have been driving (I'm 24) until recently. I have a strange indicator problem that no garages seem to know what to do with, had to replace both my front CV joints, still get a lot of creaking at the rear when cornering etc and it generally is just annoying me and I have lost a lot of confidence in it. I also struggle to get much more than 250 miles to the tank due to doing a lot of city driving.

I am now considering changing to a city car such as the Aygo, C1 or 107 and looking to get a used one from an 08 plate onwards.

The only thing putting me off a little is the problems I have heard such as leaks etc. Is this as common in the later models and if anyone has experienced leaks has it been a pricey fix?

At the same time however, I understand that all cars tend to have their faults - I can talk from experience from owning a Corsa :P so maybe I shouldn't let that put me off too much.

I learnt to drive in an Aygo and it seemed great really.

Any opinions on what is better and whether you'd recommend them would be much appreciated.

Steve

Hi Steve- you might be interested to know that my wifes 09 Aygo and two of her friends 07 & 10 Aygos (all 3 door models) are all soaking wet in the rear passenger footwells after the last couple of days heavy rain. Not sure if this problem exists on the C1 or 107

Get a Yaris! :D *ducks*

My wife is 2 years into her 2nd Aygo, this one is a Platinum, her last a +, both 5drs. Both have 6 Speakers for the radio, and are totally dry. Only warranty claim was a water pump and radiator, on the latest one. Servicing is £120/year. Continental tyres lasted 24,000 miles, @ £55 each, but they scrub on fast cornering, so slow-down 10 MPH. The dealers now know to adjust the clutch cable regularly, to stop the bite-point getting higher, and higher, and burning it out.

I currently have a loan of a Citroen C1 VTR, and it seems very low-rent, with only 2 loudspeakers, and trim noises around both B-pillars, -- I would not tolerate such poor build, and the rear bumper is very flimsy, so watch out you don't break it when washing the car.

The aftersales reputation of Citroen is iffy, but in my 12 years with Toyotas, and my Wife's 9 years, we have a lot of confidence in their dealers, but any brand can have a duf one. My present Ford has a dire local dealer, so I go 212 miles round trip for sales and servicing.

A second-hand Peugeot 107 may well be a happy medium on price and quality. (even the upholstry fabrics in the Citroen get tatty.)

You'll be happy with either as each is a clone and pretty much the same where it counts.

I would test drive them all and see which best fits your preferences

(But yeah, I vote Aygo too! ;) )...

They are not pretty much the same, they ARE all the same, :lol: the only difference between the three is the exterior panels making them all look different, so a test drive wont tell you anything.

You will need to base your decision on which one you prefer the look of and finances. Yes you can probably buy a 2nd hand 107 cheaper but thats because the Aygos depreciate a lot less which is also an important factor. The price of things such as services etc seems to vary wildy between the three and there are more mods available to the 107/C1 than the Aygo IMO.

But I would still always opt for the Aygo. It is just cooler :D

Both the C1 and 107 appear to be cheaper at the moment brand new, coming in at around £6495. Having said that, these are the most basic models, and I think Aygos generally hold their value better. The new 5 year warranty is also a bonus. I think the Aygo looks classier - they're all great cars but I just don't think the Aygo dates as much. However, all three are doing pretty well considering they've been around for more than 5 YEARS now! One of our friends managed to buy a brand new 107 5-door, then-top-end model, for £5995 back in 2007. That dealer closed down shortly after :huh: so it really depends on what deal you can get. If one of the others has a particularly better deal, then go for it. But I personally think the Aygo is the nicest. Mine's never leaked... I've often got paranoid thinking I can hear dripping, thinking I can see water, but on closer inspection there is never a problem! I guess you just get lucky or unlucky!

Whichever one you choose, you'll be making a great choice, and you'll notice serious fuel economy benefits and the super-cheap £20 road tax! Plus the cracking little engine. Apologies for the absolute essay I have written! Let us know when you decide!

Basic 107 and C1 ARE cheaper, but they also have less kit.

Tha Aygo ALWAYS has a Radio and at least 2 Speakers,

those are optional on the C1 and 107, as is PowerSteering...

If you're in the UK, power steering and a radio are actually standard on both the C1 and 107 as well. They're only options on the continent.

Ah, didn't know that

Haha, it seems people don't mind a lack of power steering on the continent! I think pretty much every car on sale here has power steering, apart from the Smart. May be a couple of others but not many. :)

Aygo recommnedation i was originally gonna go for a Citreon C1 or a Peugeot 107 but they look generic and to soft and cuddly the Aygo looks more Aggressive and sporty especially with the facelifted 09 Model

Well apart from the looks perspective and running costs all of which have been mentioned above, for me the Toyota after care was also a big selling point.

When people say that the after sales experience is 6/10ths of the overall car ownership, I agree with them. We all know that cars go wrong, however when they do it's nice to get a little empathy shown and the problems fixed promptly and with a smile.

Toyota does this well in most cases and generally diffuses any negative vibes towards the car or it's ownership. Sadly the same cannot be said about Peugeot or Citroen and that's why despite all 3 cars being near identical/built at the same factory, to the same standards; Toyota Aygo owners are far happier with their cars than those in the Pug/Citroen counterparts (See JD power survey link below).

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/jd-power-survey-2010/city-cars/250115

:thumbsup: (Aygo came top by the way!)

I'm not so sure about the cheap servicing on the Toyota anymore, wanting £200 for a 2 year service is too much for an Aygo.

I'm not so sure about the cheap servicing on the Toyota anymore, wanting £200 for a 2 year service is too much for an Aygo.

Better than £ 199 for a Mazda 2 1st year service and £ 299 for the 2nd year

Having owned a C1 for 3 years and now an Aygo I can say they are worlds apart. The Toyota is so much softer on the bumps and the build quality is a huge step forward. From the filler cap not feeling loose and plastically to the sound the door makes as it shuts. The Toyota is the one to go for out of the two and the five year warranty is the finishing touch.

Having owned a C1 for 3 years and now an Aygo I can say they are worlds apart. The Toyota is so much softer on the bumps and the build quality is a huge step forward. From the filler cap not feeling loose and plastically to the sound the door makes as it shuts. The Toyota is the one to go for out of the two and the five year warranty is the finishing touch.

Wow I hadn't realised the difference between the C1 and Aygo. I guess you'd only know that having owned both cars.

But, yes, five year warranty seems to be the finishing touch in your choice! :gora:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links