Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2.0 Vvti 56 Reg(2007) Auto Burning Oil

GeorgeJoseph

Hello All,

Hope all of you are doing good. I thought I will never make a post like this ever, but the oil burning issue has struck my avensis. Its a 2.0 VVTI 2007 make on 69400k. I got it serviced at 63500 k and never did it drink a bit of oil - it remained on the max marker till i checked yesterday. Yesterday, it was half a centimeter down from the MAX! and I was shocked - because till a month ago it was on the MAX! Has any one seen this issue on a 2.0 VVTI or is it normal for the engine to burn oil after this age. I will be buying oil to keep at hand, but , the fact that it did drink this much is a bit of a concern - given the fact that till a month ago this engine had no issue....

Any feedback welcome.

Cheers,

George.

Hello All,

Hope all of you are doing good. I thought I will never make a post like this ever, but the oil burning issue has struck my avensis. Its a 2.0 VVTI 2007 make on 69400k. I got it serviced at 63500 k and never did it drink a bit of oil - it remained on the max marker till i checked yesterday. Yesterday, it was half a centimeter down from the MAX! and I was shocked - because till a month ago it was on the MAX! Has any one seen this issue on a 2.0 VVTI or is it normal for the engine to burn oil after this age. I will be buying oil to keep at hand, but , the fact that it did drink this much is a bit of a concern - given the fact that till a month ago this engine had no issue....

Any feedback welcome.

Cheers,

George.

hi george

who seviced the car,was it same people who normaly do it for you,if not what oil did they put in, maybe one thats not suitable or a cheapy brand.

hi george

who seviced the car,was it same people who normaly do it for you,if not what oil did they put in, maybe one thats not suitable or a cheapy brand.

Hello Mate,

The car was serviced by Toyota from new, including the last service which at 63500k. They used Mobil 5w30 fully syntetic oil low ash for the engine.

Thanks,

George.

hi george

Hello Mate,

The car was serviced by Toyota from new, including the last service which at 63500k. They used Mobil 5w30 fully syntetic oil low ash for the engine.

Thanks,

George.

hi george

thats ok then,youll not get a better oil than that.

i suppose you have checked for leaks.i know there was oil consumption problems on earlier vvti engines,but your

car is newer build, will be the modified ones.toyota will cover a new short engine replacement up to about 1000000 miles as long as its had its services done by them,but you oil consumption has to be more than your getting at the moment.i think its a ltr per 1000 miles,before they will do anything.

good luck anyway.

hi george

Hello Mate,

Thanks,

George.

hi george

i suppose you have checked for leaks.i know there was oil consumption problems on earlier vvti engines,but your

car is newer build, will be the modified ones.toyota will cover a new short engine replacement up to about 1000000 miles as long as its had its services done by them,but you oil consumption has to be more than your getting at the moment.i think its a ltr per 1000 miles,before they will do anything.

good luck anyway.

Thanks for the reply. Anyone with a newer version of the 2.0 VVTI avensis (from 2007-2009) having oil burning issues? I am not 100% sure if it is the oil burning problem because as I said the oil level on the dip stick is just 2 mm below the MAX mark and I checked it after a relatively short run(1.6 miles) - anyone has any idea about when to check the oil after running a bit or when cold? I am saying this because after a longer run, I felt that the oil was at the MAX(without adding oil) .

Thanks,

George.

hi george

Hello Mate,

Thanks,

George.

hi george

good luck anyway.

Thanks for the reply. Anyone with a newer version of the 2.0 VVTI avensis (from 2007-2009) having oil burning issues? I am not 100% sure if it is the oil burning problem because as I said the oil level on the dip stick is just 2 mm below the MAX mark and I checked it after a relatively short run(1.6 miles) - anyone has any idea about when to check the oil after running a bit or when cold? I am saying this because after a longer run, I felt that the oil was at the MAX(without adding oil) .

Thanks,

George.

Enging oil level should be checked when the engine has been at rest for at least half an hour. Oil is still distributed around the engine and needs time to drain back to the sump. The most accurate check is when it is cold.

Fitter

I have read elswhere that it was only the 1.8 vvti engine that suffered from excessive oil consumption.

Hi, i was wondering if this was the first oil check you did after the service ? I normally check my oil level after about an hour after a service, because sometimes i have got it home to find that when i check it the level has been below the top mark and had to phone the garage and tell them about it and they have took it back to top it up, my vehicle has been in for oil burning issues "dealers request" they checked oil at garage left a label on the dip stick and told me to return it after i had done 1000 miles "no oil lost, its just my opinion that when a service workshop is busy some work can be hurried especially on routine services.

Hi, i was wondering if this was the first oil check you did after the service ? I normally check my oil level after about an hour after a service, because sometimes i have got it home to find that when i check it the level has been below the top mark and had to phone the garage and tell them about it and they have took it back to top it up, my vehicle has been in for oil burning issues "dealers request" they checked oil at garage left a label on the dip stick and told me to return it after i had done 1000 miles "no oil lost, its just my opinion that when a service workshop is busy some work can be hurried especially on routine services.

Yes I had checked it before, quite many times, only because these engines have this history of oil burning. I never ever checked my old 4AFE engines oil levels the 2.5 years I had it

• 1 month later...

Hello All,

I just checked my oil again and it is about 7 milimeters less from full - early in the morning, before starting the car in the morning. But after I drive around for half an hour and then stop and check (after about 30 minutes of leaving the car off) the oil is back at the full mark!! Could you let me know why this is happenning , is this because the oil has now been in circulation for over 7 months and done 6k miles. I still cant understand why this is happenning - is it the weather, age of oil?

Warm Regards,

George.

Hello All,

I just checked my oil again and it is about 7 milimeters less from full - early in the morning, before starting the car in the morning. But after I drive around for half an hour and then stop and check (after about 30 minutes of leaving the car off) the oil is back at the full mark!! Could you let me know why this is happenning , is this because the oil has now been in circulation for over 7 months and done 6k miles. I still cant understand why this is happenning - is it the weather, age of oil?

Warm Regards,

George.

is your car on level ground each time you check the oil level.you will sometimes get a different reading by turning the dip stick through 180 degrees to when you first put it in.i do my checks after standing over night in the garage so conditions are always the same and you dont get a smeary reading.

Thanks for your reply acetip. It is on level ground. I just checked the manual and it says that I should check it while its warm. From what I see - when the car is ice cold , the oil is thick brown and when it has remained in circulation for sometime it loosens up and I think that has something to do maybe?

• 5 months later...

Hello All,

Car is back from toyota after evaluation (I did the 1000 mile run and returned back to the dealer ). They have mentioned that no oil is burnt.So I guess the difference I was seeing was down to the age of the oil.

the 2lrts didnt suffer from burning oil it was the 1.4,1.6 and the 1.8's