Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Caliper Guide Pin Question

Gig-189

Hi, during my first time process of changing the front brake pads this morning, one of the guide pins (bottom) didnt move inwards nor outwards and made the job really difficult to put back the caliper. Does this make the guide pin seized or its ok? only the left side seemed to be seized. is it hard changing? thanks

Definitely needs sorting...

Had this on mine a while back, both pins should freely move back and forth.

Best thing to do is get a new pin set from Toyota, you get 4 pins, rubber boots and grease cost me about £30.

Take the calliper off the car and put the seized pin in a vice, keep twisting and it should eventually pull out.

Sand down the inside of the hole slightly then grease up your new pin and the rubber boot and push the pin back into the hole.

I only had one pin that was seized but as the new pin set contains everything to do both sides i replaced the lot

thumbsup.gif

Mmm i thought so it was bad. Thanks for your reply, well explained. will do it this week cheers

when i had my front discs and pads replaced i had a seized slider also but my mechanic managed to get it free and greased up all the sliders with some red coloured grease, im not sure if this is the correct stuff or not.

is it worth changing the sliders even though they may not be unseized and working normal? and how would you sand down the inside of the hole?

you don't want to sand the inside of the hole, I would recommend you did that at all. Better option would be to ream it. Otherwise the clearance will become excessive and you might end up fatiguing your pins.

I'm not talking about excessive sanding.... just enough to smooth the inside down again, remove the build up of rust and/or dirt that's in there...

A quick once over with sandpaper will not cause any harm...