Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Question From A Friend Of Mine...

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Hi guys...

A friend of mine has asked me to put her question to you guys...she wants to buy a Corolla too after hearing how reliable they are (and seeing mine lol)...she also wants the SR version (copycat lol) and she's seen 2 so far that she's interested in:

Toyota dealer in Manchester (150 miles from home!!!): 2006/06, 29000 on the clock, 1 owner, silver, full history, rear sensors etc...£5995

Or

Vauxhall dealer in Coventry (50 miles from home!!!): 2006/06, 45000 on the clock, 2 owners, silver, full history, rear sensors etc...£5750

Does mileage and number of owners really matter? I think if the car looks decent and drives well...who cares?

anyway please let us know...cheers in advance

get the one in manchester. its only extra 100 miles . buy the best one you can afford.

Hi guys...

A friend of mine has asked me to put her question to you guys...she wants to buy a Corolla too after hearing how reliable they are (and seeing mine lol)...she also wants the SR version (copycat lol) and she's seen 2 so far that she's interested in:

Toyota dealer in Manchester (150 miles from home!!!): 2006/06, 29000 on the clock, 1 owner, silver, full history, rear sensors etc...£5995

Or

Vauxhall dealer in Coventry (50 miles from home!!!): 2006/06, 45000 on the clock, 2 owners, silver, full history, rear sensors etc...£5750

Does mileage and number of owners really matter? I think if the car looks decent and drives well...who cares?

anyway please let us know...cheers in advance

JUST AN UPDATE: We were just talking/thinking...curious...is it possible that this Toyota dealer in Manchester is a bit dodgy...reason being...they have this 2006 1.6 SR with 29000 on the clock that she likes for £5999 but then they have a 1.4 Colour Collection 2006 with 28500 on the clock for £6999...now we all know an SR is worth more than a colour collection and also more important SR's sell for a lot more at Toyota dealers...So what do you guys think? All advice will be most helpful and i personally trust the advice from all of you users to this site but she wants to make a purchase this week so please...

Sammy

IMO mileage and No of owners should be considered for the following reasons:

Owners: if a car has had a few owners, it could be a sign that there is an inherant problem with the car, not a given but a possible sign.

Mileage: Less miles at purchase = more usable miles for you, the older and more miles a car is/has done could throw up more repairs.

Neither of the above are hard and fast rules, merely indicators, mostly aim for the most looked after presentable vehicle, never forget the most important thing:

SERVICE HISTORY, a sure sign a vehicle has been cared for.

As for your second post on the T dealer, remember in these financially restrictive times, a 1.4 will cost less to run, insure & TAX, thus easier to sell to the masses so commands a higher price, again a general rule.

Hope that helps somewhat, take someone with you that has some knowhow with cars ;)

What is the difference between a Sr corolla and a colour collection corolla spec wise?

Well I'd go with the one from Manchester, far fewer miles for only a slightly higher price and the distance you travel for it really shouldn't factor tbh. It's a car that will last a lifetime if treated correctly.

Hi,

If its a proper Toyota dealer in Manchester then the car should come with 12 months full Toyota UK warranty - if not - then be suspicious.

Scour the auto trader pages and forums all you like, but its not until you see and drive the car that you can actually see how good or bad it is - despite good looking photos - there are some real dogs around as I recently found after traveling down to see them.

Make sure you do your own online full HPI check before you part with any money - about £10 -£20 , most checks also insure you against the HPI check being wrong.

THANKS for all the advice so far, think she's made up her mind after test driving the SR in coventry...although it had 45000 (which is still low in MY opinion) it drove perfect...did have a few bodywork issues ie front bumper had been sprayed on one section but not noticeable at all and a few dings n scracthes here n there which is going to happen anyway...the engine was very clean and well maintained and the interior like new i would say...So she's picking it up Wednesday and then she can join this forum herself and we'll all welcome her hey! Guess we'll never know the condition of the one in manchester but lifes a gamble...as they say less mileage etc doesnt neccessarily mean a better car! Its ones luck!

Sam

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys...

Just an update about my friend...turned out the one in Coventry had sold...And we now found out that the one at the Manchester dealer either has a brand new front bumper or has been resprayed as it seems a totally different colour to the car which is a bit suss! Noticed theres so many 1.6 SR's coming up for sale now...wonder why?

Anyway...whilst we're still hunting...she's hooked on this mileage thing/issue...we've seen

06/06 30,000 £5995 1 owner

06/06 55,000 £5995 1 owner

06/06 44,000 £5500 2 owner

06/56 32,000 £6300 2 owner

06/06 75,000 £5995 ? owner

06/56 22,000 £8500 2 owner

All these are sort of close by but vary in mileage as you can see...so confusing...A mate of mine said you'de rather buy a higher miler cheaper coz you its been driven but with a full history rather than a lower miler thats more expensive that could be suss even with a full history...PLEASE LET US KNOW YOUR OPINIONS! THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

sAMMY

Hey

To be honest I wouldn't buy a car from Toyota! When I was looking for my comp I looked at one in Toyota World Cardiff and it was the worst example I had ever seen, the wing had been resprayed in the wrong colour poor job could still see course sand paper lines! Every wheel was curbed and the spare was odd! For a car with 25000 on it, the wear on the seat was shocking. The boy trying to sell me it told me that he took it in part ex off a lady owner, then dealt with the manager of Toyota World and he said it was a bloke he knew who also had a motorbike and went out riding with him! By this time I was a bit unsure to say the least, and out of all the ones I saw it was the most expensive! In the end I travelled up to Birmingham to get the one I bought and it was a year newer same miles full sat nav and immaculate condition for less money!

I would personally say if your not worried about warranty go for private! Don't have your heart set on a car that you have never seen in the flesh, and never driven an enthusiast car will be 100 times more looked after than a approved main dealer car! As for miles owners and year of manufacture I would personally go for a car which is newer less miles and 1 owner from new! But we don't live in a perfect world so as long as the car has full service history and is in perfect condition it does not matter on the age or miles within reason!

Hope this helps

Tom

You just have to go with what you like, you will know when you see it, low mileage and age do not have to be the making of a good car, good condition and being looked after are a lot to do with it.

When I had mine I looked at loads that were cheaper and the same age but none were as nice, I paid that bit extra for what I wanted as it was in excellent condition with leather interior loads of others were tatty inside and full of bumps and scrapes.

As far as the bumper goes loads of them have this issue it is a common thing with cars that have the plastic bumpers not just these, my front one has the same problem. Do a search on here it has been discussed before.

The issue with loads of them on the market common sense they have been around for a few years so people are selling them on I only tend to keep a car around 2 years so do a lot of other people.

My 2005 1.4 T3 Corolla had only 1 owner and 17,500 miles on the clock. The reason? It had been a Mobility car, and therefore had to be handed back after the 3 year term was up. There's quite a few of these low mileage cars around the Toyota dealer network, so ask to see the log book of any low mileage car. It says MOBILITY on the log book!

Of course, it also has a full Toyota Service History, being a Mobility car.

i might be too late but i would deffo have gone for the manchester one. for an extra £245 (and the extra fuel to pick it up etc) you'd have got yourself a better car with lower mileage. that would have been important especially when you come to sell the car on. mileage not so much of an issue with toyotas but number of owners is. its just nicer to see a car with full history, decent mileage and an average or lower than average number of owners just puts the icing on the cake for anyone looking to buy the car.

My 2005 1.4 T3 Corolla had only 1 owner and 17,500 miles on the clock. The reason? It had been a Mobility car, and therefore had to be handed back after the 3 year term was up. There's quite a few of these low mileage cars around the Toyota dealer network, so ask to see the log book of any low mileage car. It says MOBILITY on the log book!

And probably a naf clutch from the old geezer who had it before you riding it until the car was full of smoke :lol:

THANKS for the replies guys...she's decided the best option is to buy the best one you can afford...and as she doesnt do too many miles in the year...say 3000 miles...she'd be better off with a good condition...higher miler...but full service history...and yet cheaper so depreciates less! Think she got that from one of those car buying guide forums! Anyway wish us luck this weekend...we're going travelling!

And probably a naf clutch from the old geezer who had it before you riding it until the car was full of smoke :lol:

That's disableist or something! rolleyes.gif Anyway, judging by the name of the previous keeper, I think it was an old dear. I think the car hadn't been over 50mph, until I bought it! laugh.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Another update...still on the prowl for her Corolla...seen a 2006/56 Corolla SR on eBay...£4500...1 owner...72000 on the clock...full toyota history...looks okay...mates asking what do we look out for on a high miler??? This could be the one! and about a 100 miles from home! Let her know your thoughts please!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links