Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ipod Connection 2005 4.2

talisker

I would like to connect a Toyota interface adapter to the unit on my current Rav 4.2. Looking at the excellent article by Anchorman I got as far as removing the head unit (model 58812, ref CQTT337OA)only to find that there is no evident spare socket into which I can attach the connector of my interface unit. I think that I may need an adapter connector? Would like to know if anyone has fitted the same interface to this kind of head unit and how they did it. Many thanks for any pointers/advice.

Shcm will know what to do (I'm not 100% familiar with the 4.2 head unit). He'll just be out the back splitting atoms but when he gets back he will advise.

If there is an add on CD changer under the seat it shares the same connector usually with a piggy back connector. For anyone getting a 4.3 kit the additional Y adapter is not needed unless you have an additional CD changer so save yourself twenty odd quid.

Hoovie has actually done this with a 4.2. I never had that head unit on my 4.2, it was tape with CD changer.

However, have a look at this topic:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=86114&view=findpost&p=793768

You most likely have a plug in connector R4? There may only be two wires in that connector (pins 9 and 10)?

They almost certainly go to connector R3 (pins 3 and 11). You effectively need to maintain that connection and plug in your new connector at the same time. So, yes, if you don't want to splice the existing wires into your new connector, you will need an adaptor.

There are two bits in the headunit which "talk" to one another through those two wires (its a communication bus). Without that existing connection the headunit will not work properly. I've been playing with a similar old head unit recently and to add any existing audio stuff, both part of the headunit and the extra audio stuff all have to be connected to those two wires.

It all seemed so simple-obtain a cable adapter so that the 6 by 6 plug on the cable that came with the original Toyota Ipod box could be connected in to the headunit's 5 by 7 socket and ensure that the existing plug in connector (R4) with its two wires also connected in. But I am now confused by the available possibilities eg PXHTY1,2 or 3 or perhaps AB-Toyt and AB-Toy and even Toyota part 08695-00370. Given that as both Hoovie and shcm have mentioned the importance of ensuring that the two wires in R4 remain connected in I am at a loss to see how that is achieved by these wiring looms.

Added to that I have no idea what any of the pins on the Toyota Ipod cable connector actually do since there is no schematic in the owners handbook. All I can see is that all but one of the pins is wired.

Anchorman mentions a Y connector that is used when cd changer functionality is required (not something that I will need) and I wondered if this cable might be what I should be using rather than just the single cable that came with the unit. Has anyone tried this option?

And yes things would have been a lot simpler if I had just gone for a Denison which comes with an adapter plug to fit the 7 by 5 socket but this was another one of those eBay 'bargain' impulse buys.

I'd kind of assumed you'd got a ipod adapter with a 5+7 plug. It wasn't clear.

So, if you want an easy "click together" solution, don't you want an adapter with a 6+6 socket (male crimps - to take the plug on the ipod adapter) to a 5+7 socket (male crimps - to take the existing plug in the radio) and a 5+7 plug (female crimps - to go into the radio)?????

I haven't found one like that (but I only did a qucik search - maybe there is one off the shelf).

However, isn't a nice expensive solution to connect together a PXHTY2 and a PXHTY3? Connect them together via a 6+6 socket on one and a 6+6 plug on the other. The existing plug in your radio goes into the 5+7 socket on the PXHTY2. The 5+7 plug on the PXHTY3 goes into the radio and the ipod adapter 6+6 plug into the remaining 6+6 socket on the PXHTY3 (or PXHTY2).

Always assuming you can obtain those easily.

Oh, PXHTY2 looks like a 08695-00370 to me. This is a 08695-00370 below:

conn2.jpg

Then you have to hope the older head unit recognises and will work with the newer Mr T. ipod adapter. Yep, Hoovie's was a Denison.

The pinouts are available for both 6+6 and 5+7 if you google.

Good Luck!

Hey there  :D  TBH, I reckon the iPod control part with the OEM Head unit and the adapters are a bit of a faff and the most successful solution is actually to get a new head unit that is iPod compatible.

I fitted the Dension unit and it definately allowed me to listen to the iPod via the Radio and do basic controls but I found if I wanted to do more then just go up and down a track, I usually disconnected it, found what I wanted and then plugged it back again. 

but I found if I wanted to do more then just go up and down a track, I usually disconnected it, found what I wanted and then plugged it back again. 

Having first pulled into a convenient layby of course ;)

but I found if I wanted to do more then just go up and down a track, I usually disconnected it, found what I wanted and then plugged it back again. 

Having first pulled into a convenient layby of course ;)

economy of my RAV4, each fuel tank fill only lasted a CD length anyway  :rolleyes:

Thanks to shcm for the detailed further explanation. Totally appreciate Hoovie's point about it being probaly better just to have replaced the headunit.

However this is a learning experience and I would have been totally stuck without you guys. So my plan now is to locate a pin-out diagram of the 6+6 socket cd player in the newer (post 2005) Rav headunits since I believe that will match the wiring in the loom that came with the MrT Ipod adapter (anyone have this by any chance?). Then it should be a simple job of matching these to the original 7+5 layout and connectiong up. Given that I know sod all about even basic plug assembly my next task would be to remove the existing 6+6 plug and insert the individual wires into the existing plug. I think I can get the required wire end connectors from Maplin?

After all that it probably won't work, but it's been a fun diversion, I suppose.

thanks again for advice thus far

Just something else to consider, make sure that Mr T's adaptor will work with your model of iPod/iPhone. Apple have a habit of changing the pins/voltages/whatever every generation or so meaning many accessories don't work across the range. For this reason, and bad experiences with Alpine iPod integration units in the past (far too awkward to locate and select tracks), I prefer to just install an Aux adaptor with RCAs or 3.5mm jacks on the end which can then be connected to any mp3 player (or certain phones). You lose the radio integration/steering controls etc and charging but there's a cigarette lighter for that. If that interests you, poke around the Connects2 website.

Good luck anyway!

So my plan now is to locate a pin-out diagram of the 6+6 socket....................

This is the 6+6 pinout. The 5+7 pinout is in the post I referenced above.

lexus_con_853.gif

To be honest I think you'll struggle to source the bits from Maplin or even the like of Farnell or RS. You would need to be talking to somebody like tyco:

http://www.tycoelectronics.com/automotive/

and it can be a pain without the correct crimp tool too.

I'll see if I can find you some connector shell/crimp part numbers, but I can't promise, so don't hold your breath. When I wanted some to play with it was easier to just buy the adapter from Mr T. A complete rip-off because the shells and crimps are pennies to car & car component makers, but as I say it was just less hassle.

"it was easier to just buy the adapter from Mr T"

Agree. There comes a point where it is plain daft not to just get a couple of connectors as previously advised. Will let you know the result.

"it was easier to just buy the adapter from Mr T"

Agree. There comes a point where it is plain daft not to just get a couple of connectors as previously advised. Will let you know the result.

The dealership that's supplying my new (to me) 2005 D4D XTR Rav4 says that Mr T doesn't do an ipod connector for a 4.2 vehicle :unsure:

Also say the cambelt is due every 50 000 miles / 6 years :unsure:

Their loss of a few extra £'s

Welcome to the club.

I think it's 5 years or 60k :thumbsup:

The dealership that's supplying my new (to me) 2005 D4D XTR Rav4 says that Mr T doesn't do an ipod connector for a 4.2 vehicle :unsure:

I do have my doubts that it is completely backwards compatible.

I do have my doubts that it is completely backwards compatible.

Pity if that's correct, I guess I'll have to be patient and see what the back of the radio / cd player looks like.

Welcome to the club.

I think it's 5 years or 60k :thumbsup:

What do dealers know ......

• 5 weeks later...

Bought the Dension Gateway from these guys http://www.ktduk.com/department/dension_gateway_ipod_aux_usb_interface/ and fitted nicely and seems to be working. Just need to work out how to change from "disc" to another "disc" using the radio / steering wheel controls.

Did you try press and hold the up and down arrows?

Just tried the press and it changes the numbers, but doesn't seem to do much else. Will try your suggestion tomorrow :thumbsup:

Just tried the press and it changes the numbers, but doesn't seem to do much else. Will try your suggestion tomorrow :thumbsup:

Had a bit of a play :rolleyes: with the ipod / buttons on the radio and the head unit seems to change the "disc" and the steering wheel the track. No surprises there then, but it does seem a bit hit and miss, but that might be down to apples software in the ipod rather than the head unit. Lot less faff than trying to mess around with CD's, so gets a :thumbsup: from me.

You have to press and hold the up and down arrows on the wheel until it bleeps - about 2 seconds. That should change the folder.

• 1 year later...

HI ALL

ANYONE WISHING TO USE A IPOD OR iPhone THROUGH TOYOTA'S 58812 HEAD UNIT, SHOULD CHECK OUT THIS LINK.

http://audiovisualworld.co.uk/shopping/xcarlink-sku12852-toyota-mr2-land-cruiser-pruis-rav4-yaris-ipod-iphone-adaptor.html

http://audiovisualworld.co.uk/shopping/xcarlink-sku2737-ipod-cd-changer-adapter-toyota-vw-ipod-audi-honda-mazda-seat-skoda-and-more.html

THESE ARE THE TWO ITEMS YOU'LL NEED, (ONE IS A 'Y' CABLE)

I FITTED ONE OF THESE IPOD INTERFACE'S TO MY RAV4 ABOUT 3 WEEKS AGO....AND IT WORKS GREAT!