Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Residue Behind Glass On Clock And Air Con

brez

Hello Everyone.

I have just picked up my new car (55 plate T Spirit) on closer inspection it appears around the inside of the glass on the clock and the aircon screens there is some kind of residue.

I think it may be cockpit shine as everything seems to be covered in the dam stuff!!

Does anyone please know a way that I can get to the rear of the glass to wipe it. I fear I may have to take the whole section out with the ashtray etc.

Could someone please help it is only a minor issue but every time I look at it it winds me up that little bit more!!! :ffs:

Any help on removing that section of dash would be greatly appreciated if it comes down to that (hopefuly not)

Cheers in anticipation

brez

When I had the TSport I took the panel out... looking for the infamous alarm issue before we all knew it was just the bonnet switch lol. So I think it's very similar interior wise.

Can't remember exact details but nothing to scary... remove glovebox lid, ashtray, screws behind or around litle cubby ?? can't remember. It was all straightfoward anyway... might have to unclip gear lever gator etc. As with anything like this the more you dismantle the easier it is... just don't force anything. Mine all came apart easily in around 10 minutes without me putting a mark on it.

To get at the windows though you have to unscrew the printed circuit boards from the plastic housing... lots of small screws, and remove the panels.

Thanks for such a swift reply. will give it a go if it ever stops raining!!

What is the bonnet switch issue you are refering to? I am new to this car as I had an Avensis until last Wednesday

Cheers

brez

The bonnet switch has become a well known problem causing the alarm to go off randomly as the bonnet cools and shifts slightly... not sure if yours has it anyway... mainly a TSport problem I think. It's a plunger type switch on the bulkhead. Quick fix is add a small pad to underside of bonnet to allow it to press down more, or bend the bracket, or as I did, remove and elongate hole slightly and move upwards.

It is only the T Sport that has an alarm :thumbsup:

Hi

I got the same problem on my SR...some sort of residue on the back of the clear screens...agree its annoying to look at...i'll sort mine out at the same time i swap my stereo's over which i've been meaning to do for weeks! Cant be a hard job to dismantle the units to get to the screens i hope!!!!!!!!!

Sammy

Thanks everyone for your help it is much appreciated

(much friendlier bunch than them Avensis owners :thumbsup: )

Cheers

Brez

Cheers

Brez

Hi Brez

Please let us know if you manage to sort out that residue problem you speak of...thanks

Also be careful what you say about the Avensis bunch...i used to be one lol...they read the corolla section too you know lol! I always find it amazing how nearly every thread on the avensis side is about minor/major problems everyday...i had loads with mine...and on the Corolla side people speak more of modding their cars up or just niggly problems...i dun know! lol

Cheers

Brez

Hi Brez

Please let us know if you manage to sort out that residue problem you speak of...thanks

Also be careful what you say about the Avensis bunch...i used to be one lol...they read the corolla section too you know lol! I always find it amazing how nearly every thread on the avensis side is about minor/major problems everyday...i had loads with mine...and on the Corolla side people speak more of modding their cars up or just niggly problems...i dun know! lol

That's because after the "2002" style shape the avensis which came after that was/is absolutely !Removed!! As is the Auris, had one as a replacement hire car while mums car was off the road and its like being sat in a tin can, so tinny and light and flimsy - a real throwback to the old toyotas which were paper thin. In contrast the corolla is chunky and has some weight and build quality to it (thank god)!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finaly got around to it.

I managed to get the centre console out with a little difficulty. I was very pleased with myself only to discover it was not that easy.

I could not remove the digital readout bit from the facia (bit with the dirty screen). there were six screws in the back (sorted again as I thought - not).

When I removed the screws the back plastic bit came off exposing the circuit board, and with no other visible things holding the two parts together they still would not part. :ffs:

Any Ideas how I can seperate the centre console fasia from all the electronic gubbins as it is anoying me to be this close to the solution but still so far

Any help much appreciated

brez

Well I finaly got around to it.

I managed to get the centre console out with a little difficulty. I was very pleased with myself only to discover it was not that easy.

I could not remove the digital readout bit from the facia (bit with the dirty screen). there were six screws in the back (sorted again as I thought - not).

When I removed the screws the back plastic bit came off exposing the circuit board, and with no other visible things holding the two parts together they still would not part. :ffs:

Any Ideas how I can seperate the centre console fasia from all the electronic gubbins as it is anoying me to be this close to the solution but still so far

Any help much appreciated

brez

Hi Brez

Do you know i though that might be the case...i had a similar problem with my car strereo once and just couldnt get to the screen bit...i had to throw it away in the end coz i broke it! I wouldnt do anything else until someone gives you EXPERT advice...you dont want to regret it mate! Have you put it all back together again?

Sammy

Hi sammy

Yeah it goes back together in under 2 mins, I know what you mean I gave it as much force as I dared but the bugger would still not part.

brez

Anybody any ideas berore I break it? :help:

Brez...

Lets not do anything irrational now son...its a very common problem i hear...i too have like a horrible misty/ dirty/ god knows sort of white layer of something on the inside of both my likkle screens...im defo sorting my stereo this weekend...i'll remove mine and have a look for you...will let you know the score...in the meantime dont look at yours coz it sounds like you wanna take a hammer to it lol...lol!

Sammy

Hi there again Brez...

Okay...i had a look at it today...took it apart...and you were right...i cant find a way of getting to the rear of the screens either...obviously they weren't designed to be played around with...one other thing i did think of is whether one could prise away the plastic window from the front...they look stuck down...BUT Im not going to risk it...Dont think you should either...lets just admit defeat and live with it...what do ya say??? Sorry i couldnt help you out any more!

Sammy

I have stripped down mine completly, i cant excatly but ill pull mine apart tonite an take some pics for you's.

Sammy

How did you get on cleaning your windows :)

Brez

Brez...I left you a post yesterday???

Sorry i didnt get round to taking my heater console out.

Here is a wee guide on how to get to the plastic screen.

So you have removed the heater control,

DSC_0086.jpg

This is what you will have.

Remove the six screws then the top shall come off.

DSC_0087.jpg

Then remove the ribbon cable that holds the top part to the circuit board.

DSC_0088.jpg

And then remove the two screws and the whole thing should come away and you will be left with this.

DSC_0091.jpg

Sorry bout the crap pics taken on my phone.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need any more help.

Matt

Thanks matt you are a star :thumbsup:

how did you get the white connectors apart in the top picture, mine are very tight. Is there a knack to it?

cheers

brez

Thanks Matt I will give it a go

brezo

Hi Brez

Well well well...Thanks to MSPrince hey...its that big cable thing that made me panick...but seems easy enough to achieve now hey! Please let me know if you manage to sort it...and i'll give mine a go at the weekend again!

Sammy

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links