Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Think I've Asked This Before But I'll Ask Again...

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

HI

The sun was out today and i noticed a million other scracthes i havent seen before especially on the rear bumper of my 06 SR...they're like sort of light surface scratches...now a couple of weeks back i washed my car to the T and then supagarded it myself and it came out amazing (so all passer bys commented)...and now it looks a little dull and then theres these scracthes and i dont know how to improve...i've tried a few scracth removers/improvers but they dont seem to work. Can anyone help...ESPECIALLY those of you that have an 05/06/07 Corolla in silver steel...which looks more gold to me but anyway! I know the cars 4.5 years old and i'll probably never get it looking new...Gosh Toyota used a pretty thin/weak paint on these cars!!!

Sam

supaguard is not very good. it's better to use a good 2 bucket wash technique and find a polish/wax combination you like working with and one that compliments the colour of your car rather than using supaguard, it's not very supa in my experience. for basics use a good shampoo and wash mitt (not sponge) and use the 2 bucket method of washing so as to minimise swirling.

as for your scratches try Meguiars scratch x 2.0 or if they are light then autoglym super resin polish should fill them in no problems. the cut in t-cut is too much for comfort imo.

Hi Sam,

I have the same metalic colour. My dealer gave me Grey Metalic code 1D2 touch up paint. Out of interest what colour code is yours.

Thanks

Cyclopse

Thanks for the responses...to answer a few questions my colour code is 1c0...And can someone please tell me what a 2 bucket wash system is about? And i've never tried Meguiars 2.0 scracth polish but keep hearing about it...is it really that good?

"And i've never tried Meguiars 2.0 scracth polish but keep hearing about it...is it really that good?"

You will have to try it to find out everyone uses different things some will not like what another uses. Each to their own sort of thing.

"And i've never tried meguiars 2.0 scracth polish but keep hearing about it...is it really that good?"

You will have to try it to find out everyone uses different things some will not like what another uses. Each to their own sort of thing.

True but Megs ScratchX 2.0 is a starting place rather than just one of my personal favourite products. The 'cut' in t-cut is far too much. It cuts deep into your clear coat to reveal a fresh layer and that's how it appears to be an amazing product to people who don't know any better. In actual fact you should only really remove a few microns of clear coat in order to bring out a fresh layer. On the other hand all in one products like AutoGlym Super Resin Polish have fillers which fill in the scratches rather than cutting them out. There is a strong case to be made for trying SRP first since if it does the job then not only will it get rid of scratches but will also seal the paintwork since it is an all in one it contains sealants too. Personally I have the car same colour as yours (goldy-silver) and I do SRP under few coats of a good wax for winter protection from road salt etc and works a treat.

Thanks for the responses...to answer a few questions my colour code is 1c0...And can someone please tell me what a 2 bucket wash system is about? And i've never tried meguiars 2.0 scracth polish but keep hearing about it...is it really that good?

2 Bucket method is when you use 2 buckets and a wash mitt (rather than a traditional sponge) to wash your car. In one bucket you have your shampoo solution, mixed with warm water in this country. In the other bucket you have plain fresh water with a grit guard if you're more hardcore into detailing or just a normal bucket with fresh plain water if you're not. You dunk your mitt into the shampoo and wash one panel (i.e. a wing or the upper half of a door is also one panel) and then you rinse your mitt into the fresh water thoroughly in order to remove the grit you've just washed off the panel you just cleaned. All to serve one purpose: so that you minimise the amount of trapped dirt/grit particles which can cause swirling to your paint work. Swirls are light scratches all over the paint, giving the appearance someone went over the bodywork with a scouring pad which you'd use to clean dishes.

Reading the "why protect paint" section here should clear any confusion I may have caused/contributed to.