Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Iq 1.0 - Low Fuel Effeciency On The Highway

BarryIQ

In most case, running a car on highway gives better MPG than running the car in town.

However I have realised that my IQ 1.0 CVT average 38MPG to maintain the speed at 67mph on the highway and I usually get 45-50mpg running in town at 35mph.

Did anyone else got the same problem or its just me?

Think a 1.33 IQ will have better fuel effeciency on highway?

Daily run. 30 miles each way, almost all motorway getting 52mpg average (Across the life of the car). 1 year old IQ2 1.0 manual though !!

In town drops to high 40's so far (Which isn't often)

Si

Depends how you drive, but seriously, it's a frickin' 1 litre engine, it's not going to be able to drive at high speeds without running at higher revs which in turn will use more fuel.

Stick to ~55-60mph and you'll see much better economy.

The difference in fuel consumption between 60 and 67 is actually quite substantial!

(My ****ty Fiesta couldn't even sustain 67mph going up a hill! :lol: )

Depends how you drive, but seriously, it's a frickin' 1 litre engine, it's not going to be able to drive at high speeds without running at higher revs which in turn will use more fuel.

The difference in fuel consumption between 60 and 67 is actually quite substantial!

Thats the problem, highway here is not flat... my engine usually go from between 2000 to 3500rev to maintain 60-67mph and end up using more fuel :(

Thats the problem, highway here is not flat... my engine usually go from between 2000 to 3500rev to maintain 60-67mph and end up using more fuel :(

I do 46 miles a day 95% of it is motorway, I keep it between 55 and 60 mph and average 67 to 68 miles per. This is not going off the trip computer but by filling the tank and working out exactly hoe many litres of fuel i have used at what cost per gallon between fill ups.

I seldom push it above 55-60mph on motorways.

Just a note: I agree with Cyker. Some like to give his/her car sporty looks and expects the performance that suits the image, plus - I don't get how or why - low consumption.

All from a great little city car that has a shape of a cube and a 3 cylinder engine.

Do a steady decline and see how it goes - try going at 69 then 68 you might find a spot with MPG your happy with then.

Id be nervous on the motorway going 55mph as that to me is bordering on dangerous.

I just dont get why youd buy a city car to use it on the motorway daily.

I bought a city car to use on a motorway every day.

Moved up from a smart car, so the interior space upgrade was useful, prefer small cars to large ones to get to & from work (Just me and my packed lunch. Why would I need a saloon / estate for that). Liked the quirky looks. Enjoy tinkering and the IQ, like the smart, allows me to do that easily. Hoping to take the benefits of the Big T after the 'wonders' of Mercedes lol.

It doesn't have to make sense to everybody why some people buy a certain type of car for a specific purpose. They do it because they can ;-)

Si

Si Ill clarify what I meant by that, Im wondering why the barry complains about the car being used outside its brief.

If you accept it wont give as good MPG at high speeds due to the engine busting a gut to get you there then thats fine..

Si Ill clarify what I meant by that, Im wondering why the barry complains about the car being used outside its brief.

If you accept it wont give as good MPG at high speeds due to the engine busting a gut to get you there then thats fine..

Its because Toyota official figure stated the IQ2 is more economy on highway but in fact its not.

Well it probably can; The MAXIMUM *possible* efficiency on a motorway will always be higher than town driving. But note that I said *possible*; It requires you to drive at maximum efficiency.

I really reckon if you try going at 60 instead of 67 it will make a big difference to your mpg!

Ironically, my annoyance at my old Fiesta (Sweet badger crap I hated that car. Seriously, if anyone finds themselves in a position where they are getting a ~2001 Fiesta, get the 1.2L Zetec version instead of the 1.3L Endura-E; It has twice as many HP, doesn't cost £185 to tax and can actually go up hills!!!) is what made my get my diesel Yaris :lol:

<shameless gushing>

If, like me, you are a cheap *****, there are very few cars that can beat it; It's cheap to tax, cheap to run, is the cheapest thing with a turbo to insure and is quite fun to drive. The only thing it doesn't do spades better than the Fiesta is go round corners :lol:

Because it weighs so little (The engine is only something like 5KG heavier than my old Fiesta's petrol engine! For a diesel engine that's pretty amazing!), it drives like a petrol (nippy!) but it retains the pulling power of a diesel - In my Fiesta, overtaking required a week's worth of planning (That's how long it'd take to get from 60 to 70). My Yaris can get from 60 to 70 in maybe a second, which means I can nip out, burn past Eddie Stobart, then nip back in: Much faster and safer. And I can do this even if the car is fully loaded! 25% gradient hills no longer hold any fear for me!

All that and I can still get 68mpg :lol::yahoo::wub:

I think the fuel efficiency for highway can only be lower than metro if we drive at 34mph, which is not realistic.

It sorta mislead the buyer to think the IQ 1.0 can handle highway with a better fuel consumption.

This discussion has gone far enough

The IQ is basically a town car and not a Grand Tourer

The OP was just expressing concern that his IQ had not met the expected Fuel consumption figures

Because of the derogatory comments Topic is closed

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links