Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pain In The.....leg

Barbaric Daisy

Hi,

I have now been driving my new Prius for 3 weeks, about 1500miles. After the first few days, I woke up one morning with a terrible pain down the back of my right thigh. I am not sure if it is related to the seating in the Pruis or a complete coincidence!

I am 5"10', 34" inside leg - (note to self, don't make it sound like a dating website!) I was having a problem with the fact that the seat doesn't go back that far and that fact that you can't move the steering wheel upwards to compensate for the knees hitting the bottom of it, it was like riding a child bike to start with!. I think I have now found a position that is alright, but the pain is still there.

One suggestion was that when a car is designed it is done as a left hand drive and the seats are angle ever so slightly, when they change to a left hand drive the seats are moved over, but the angle is off slightly. I know there is someone suffering hip problems with their Audi due to this.

I love my car so much and am hoping that it isn't related, either that or I am going to have to pop some Neurofen everytime I drive it LOL

Is anyone else suffering or is it just me!? :)

Cheers

Daisy

No, you are not the only one, Daisy. I too have long thigh bones and invariably hit the cruise control lever when turning the steering wheel. I have bought a few second hand japanese made cars and find that the 'knee clearance' is adequate. New Japanese cars do not have enough clearance for me to avoid hitting the steering wheel so I have had to wait until the seat has been squashed down somewhat, in a second hand care, to give my knee adequate clearance for my foot to reach the brake pedal. Gen3 does have a telescopic steering wheel like an old Triumph used to have.

Hi Daisy

Sorry honey, it's you!

I'm 6'6", 36" inside leg and I don't have the seat right back - I think there are still 3 notches to go - if I'm sitting square in the drivers seat I have the steering wheel pulled out as far as it will go and up as far as it will go too and can comfortably put my wrists on the top of the wheel with my elbows slightly bent (not sure of the angle but it comfy whatever it is...)

I've found my Gen3 actually more comfy than my previous Gen2 - so much so that I keep wanting to have a kip! :rolleyes:

Try moving the seat forward a bit and recline the back of the seat slightly - simply put, play with the seat position and the adjustable height of the squab and the backrest too, don't forget that adjusts too...

Hope this helps

I'm a long-legged 6'4", and would echo Jan&tone's advice — when I had a tiny MG TF I found that bringing the seat forward a notch or two and reclining the seatback produced a more comfortable driving position than doing what most tall people instinctively do, getting in the car and pushing the seat all the way back.

I must admit that the Prius needs a bit more messing about with to get the right seat position but it can be done. Keep trying until you find a comfortable postion. I personally find it is better to adjust the seats and position after you have been driving 20 mins or so.

The Prius is a Japanese car and as such is designed for rhd before being converted to lhd so the seats should be ok. However, the average Japanese is smaller than the average European so more adjustment on the seats is needed.

Thank you everyone!! I think it is just me then, fingers crossed that it is unrelated!

Daisy

Thank you everyone!! I think it is just me then, fingers crossed that it is unrelated!

Daisy

Make sure that you get the seat height adjustment right. I fixed initial problems on my Gen 2 by lowering the seat as far as it will go.

The Prius is a Japanese car and as such is designed for rhd

The Japanese drive on the left - we (the British) persuaded them to do it that way in the 1800s

The Japanese drive on the left - we (the British) persuaded them to do it that way in the 1800s

Correct (Both of you) :thumbsup:

RHD cars are designed to drive on the left in Japan and UK :rolleyes:

I wrote more, but it somehow got lost in the up-load. The missing post said something like:

but they are clever enough to design for their primary market, which I think originally was the United States (where they drive on the right). I have read that about 65% of the early Prius models went to the US, but I believe the Japanes home market has now caught up.

The rear screen wiper certainly gives the impression of being positioned for a LHD.

I wrote more, but it somehow got lost in the up-load. The missing post said something like:

but they are clever enough to design for their primary market, which I think originally was the United States (where they drive on the right). I have read that about 65% of the early Prius models went to the US, but I believe the Japanes home market has now caught up.

The rear screen wiper certainly gives the impression of being positioned for a LHD.

I'd disagree. The Japanese certainly design the car for their home market to start with and then adjust for others later. The RHD Prius has a card holder to the right of the lower dash near the door for their road toll system. The fuse box is then logically behind the glove box out of the way. The lhd models have the fuse box rammed in behind the steering wheel.

At least the Japanese fully adjust their cars for the relevant market though. My pet hate are cars that have been converted to RHD in a sloppy, cheap sort of way. I'm thinking expecially of French cars and BMWs where the front wipers arn't designed for rhd and leave a big unwiped area to the right of your line of sight.

Apparently, according to some on Priuschat, the US lhd Prius driver's seat is a little off centre to the steering wheel whereas the UK version isn't, which to me would confirm the original design was for rhd.