Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wrong Oil

Pam S

This is concerning. If fleet departments insist on servicing and tyres done to a price rather than to best spec (as we all know they do), this obliterates a hefty proportion of the car's fuel saving potential. That does rather dent the appeal of the Prius to company car drivers, who have little say in such matters.

Talk to your fleet department about it. I'm sure they'll notice something wrong when your fuel card stats show a 15% drop in fuel economy. The correct oil makes a difference and IS a requirement. The low rolling resistance tyres do make a difference and are only about £15 - £20 each extra, which will be more than saved over a 30,000 mile lifespan.

Get your fleet department to call the lease company and insist on the correct tyres and oil. And then email or write to Toyota complaining about how you've been treated. Since all the trouble back in Jan/Feb time with all the recall bad press they're now super hot on making sure their customers are happy. :thumbsup:

Latest updates - called fleet dept again this morning about the oil - turns out the dealer have been putting £30 a shot 5W20/30 oil in the car at each service (10,20,30,000) So much for Toyota telling all dealers that it is 0W20 in the Prius. Also, the fleet people had no objection to 0W20 oil - they just specified "synthetic oil". :censor:

On the tyre front - yes you are all correct - my 50 mile journey to work is normally showing 55 mpg on the trip computer. Today it is struggling to get above 50 mpg. Looks like these new tyres are going to cost me a fortune in petrol. Unfortunately even though it is a company lease car, I pay a full-whack lease price for it (I could opt out and take the money) and I pay for all the petrol myself, claiming back company mileage at the standard HMRC rates - so the fleet department have no sight of and no interest in the car's fuel economy :ffs: :crybaby:

Dear all,

My name's Melissa, and I'm part of the Social Media team at Toyota GB. If any of you are regular blog.toyota.co.uk users, you'll know me as one of the mods.

This discussion was brought to my attention yesterday. We understand your concerns surrounding third-generation Prius and oil, and would like to address these concerns by clarifying a few things:

- The recommended oil grade at service for third-generation Prius is 0W-20 Toyota Genuine Motor Oil, as stated in the owners' handbook. Prius is filled with this oil at the factory. (Note: this is specific to third-generation Prius and Auris HSD only, and does not apply to previous generations of Prius nor any other Toyota vehicle.)

- Although 0W-20 is the only recommended grade, using 5W-30 or 10W-40 will not damage your engine. 0W-20 provides better engine ’startability’ in cold weather, which in turn improves engine performance, fuel consumption and emissions in cold weather conditions.

- A number of Prius owners got in touch on our blog and told us they'd received information contradictory to the above. We discussed this with the departments concerned and in response, Toyota GB wrote to all Centres on 17 March 2010 to confirm the following:

i) 0W-20 is the recommended service grade for third-generation Prius and Auris HSD

ii) If another oil such as 5W-30 was used at a previous service, it should be replaced by 0W-20 at your next service (but let me restate that 5W-30 does no damage to the engine)

iii) All Centres should keep 0W-20 in stock, but we advise checking with your Centre before you go in for your service. If you request 0W-20 and it is not in stock, it can be ordered in specially.

Parts-King, whom I know many of you are familiar with, confirmed the receipt of this letter on a related thread. It was also communicated on our blog.

However, despite our best efforts it seems that some inconsistencies remain, so we will seek to speak to Centres directly to reconfirm the above. This is also being discussed at a top-level After Sales meeting today.

If you'd like to get in touch with us, feel free to contact us at http://blog.toyota.co.uk/new-prius-everything-you-need-to-know. Alternatively, if you have a specific complaint and wish to contact us privately, please visit http://blog.toyota.co.uk/how-to-contact-toyota-uk.

Many thanks, and I hope this has been helpful.

Melissa Coulton

Social Media

Toyota (GB) PLC

Dear all,

My name's Melissa, and I'm part of the Social Media team at Toyota GB. If any of you are regular blog.toyota.co.uk users, you'll know me as one of the mods.

This discussion was brought to my attention yesterday. We understand your concerns surrounding third-generation Prius and oil, and would like to address these concerns by clarifying a few things:

- The recommended oil grade at service for third-generation Prius is 0W-20 Toyota Genuine Motor Oil, as stated in the owners' handbook. Prius is filled with this oil at the factory. (Note: this is specific to third-generation Prius and Auris HSD only, and does not apply to previous generations of Prius nor any other Toyota vehicle.)

- Although 0W-20 is the only recommended grade, using 5W-30 or 10W-40 will not damage your engine. 0W-20 provides better engine ’startability’ in cold weather, which in turn improves engine performance, fuel consumption and emissions in cold weather conditions.

- A number of Prius owners got in touch on our blog and told us they'd received information contradictory to the above. We discussed this with the departments concerned and in response, Toyota GB wrote to all Centres on 17 March 2010 to confirm the following:

i) 0W-20 is the recommended service grade for third-generation Prius and Auris HSD

ii) If another oil such as 5W-30 was used at a previous service, it should be replaced by 0W-20 at your next service (but let me restate that 5W-30 does no damage to the engine)

iii) All Centres should keep 0W-20 in stock, but we advise checking with your Centre before you go in for your service. If you request 0W-20 and it is not in stock, it can be ordered in specially.

Parts-King, whom I know many of you are familiar with, confirmed the receipt of this letter on a related thread. It was also communicated on our blog.

However, despite our best efforts it seems that some inconsistencies remain, so we will seek to speak to Centres directly to reconfirm the above. This is also being discussed at a top-level After Sales meeting today.

If you'd like to get in touch with us, feel free to contact us at http://blog.toyota.co.uk/new-prius-everything-you-need-to-know. Alternatively, if you have a specific complaint and wish to contact us privately, please visit http://blog.toyota.co.uk/how-to-contact-toyota-uk.

Melissa Coulton

Social Media

Toyota (GB) PLC

A very long post. Since 0W-20 is the recommended service grade for third-generation Prius and Auris HSD, if owners use a Toyota Centre for servicing they should have the correct, recommended, oil used. It should not be up to the owner to check beforehand, or afterwards. It is the Toyota Centre's responsibilty to use the recommended parts!

Dear all,

Melissa Coulton

Social Media

Toyota (GB) PLC

Hi Melissa

Glad Toyota are looking at this as when discussing the wrong oil I seem to get on my soap box about it. :unsure: I have never advised that the 'wrong' oil damages the engine BUT it certainly reduces fuel consumption and driving pleasure or driveability of the car - it's not as responsive, esp in 'power' mode etc.

The reduced fuel consumption was always my bug bear with the wrong oil as it was rather difficult trying to explain to a dealer that you ONLY got 50 mpg out of your car since the oil change (instead of the usual 55/65 mpg or even 70 mpg). You could almost hear them thinking what's wrong with 50 mpg! lol. The Prius is super tuned for economy in the same way a Ferarri is tuned for performance and using the correct oil makes a big difference.

Its good to hear you're on to it at head office though :thumbsup:

My name's Melissa, and I'm part of the Social Media team at Toyota GB.

Melissa, your contribution is very welcome here. :)

Hi

Just to add a little to the story, I work at a dealer down in the south west and can confirm that we as a dealer have issues with fleet companies allowing the correct grade of oil on GenIII HSD. Fleet companies operate on a cost only basis allowing a maximum cost / litre of between £3.50 to no more than £5.45 way less than the cost / litre of 0W20, they are also aware of Toyota's recommendations & that 5W30 will not damage the car nor invalidate any warranties.

As a dealer we cannot force them into using 0W20, so for all retail & service plan customers we will always use 0W20, but for fleet companies we try and obtain prior authorisation to use 0W20 however none of the fleet companies have agreed yet!

As you are all aware this is extremely frustrating for us & even more so our clients, but block exemption prohibits Toyota from forcing a specific oil grade or brand all they can do is RECOMMEND a choice & so long as any oil used meets the minimum European & international standards required we cannot refuse a warranty claim.

As you are all aware this is extremely frustrating for us & even more so our clients, but block exemption prohibits Toyota from forcing a specific oil grade or brand all they can do is RECOMMEND a choice & so long as any oil used meets the minimum European & international standards required we cannot refuse a warranty claim.

But by using non 0w20 oil the fuel economy of the vehicle is severely impaired and struggles to make 50 mpg which is no where near the 70+ mpg the vehicle is officially rated at.

The vehicle gains many benefits for its superb fuel economy - free road tax for one. Now if using different oil stops the vehicle gaining the economy it was rated on, then surely it should no longer be eligable for the given benefits?

Which body is in charge of the UK vehicle fuel economy ratings? And how do they stand on the vehicle getting much reduced economy despite being serviced in accordance to Toyotas rules and terms? Surely there must be some rules applicable here? I would also bet that the £5 a litre maximum quoted by the above poster wouldn't apply when servicing a leased Mercedes S600 or Ferarri!

One also wonders on what the negative publicity would be for Toyota (again?) should the press pick up on this. It would again reinstate the rumours out there that the Prius can't match its rated fuel economy ratings. Do owners of other manufacturers 'eco' cars which are rated under or just over the 100g/km have similar problems?

The Prius is designed with 0w20 in mind and gets the best using it - so surely you should use it when serviced by Toyota?

• Like 1

Frustrating isn't it !!!

The lease companies do not pay fuel costs so the reduction in fuel economy is not a concern to them.

In terms of emissions the law only looks at the vehicle at point of supply e.g the car sold meets the official specs as homologated. After sale there is no requirement too meet anything other than basic MOT emissions test. As we are all aware the tuning & increasing of vehicle performance is big business. Legally you could turbo charge your Prius obviously increasing CO2 output, you don't have to tell DVLA ( only required if you increase/decrease engine cc ) & can continue not paying road tax. Ridiculous isn't it!

VOSA are in charge of emissions & fuel economy figures but they only concern themselves with figures on new vehicles at point of sale, not once the car has been sold.

As previously stated block exemption states that a manufacturer can only RECOMMEND an oil type. The 0W20 has a specific set if internationally recognised oil specifications but so long as any oils used meets these specs the grade is not usually relevant. I can get these specs if you wish.

I totally agree with all your comments, but as we cannot enforce oil grades used we cannot force these large fleet companies to use 0W20. The fleet companies know the law very well & will happily send a car including HSD to a non franchise site which can legally use non-genuine parts & pretty much what ever oil they wish.

Frustrating isn't it !!!

After sale there is no requirement too meet anything other than basic MOT emissions test. As we are all aware the tuning & increasing of vehicle performance is big business. Legally you could turbo charge your Prius obviously increasing CO2 output, you don't have to tell DVLA ( only required if you increase/decrease engine cc ) & can continue not paying road tax. Ridiculous isn't it!

I am aware of the aftermarket mod market, but I am refering to the car being serviced by the manufacturers agents yet it is NOT able to get anywhere near the official ratings despite this.

This smells to me, and whilst not of Toyotas making, equally they're not rocking the boat either and relatively happy to keep the status quo. Maybe I've been hanging round the US forums too much and some of their attitute has rubbed off on me, but this is not an acceptable situation. This is not an after market mod, but a main agents servicing! As such Toyota condone allowing reduced performance AND economy on one of their star products and this reduced performance doesn't allow it to get anywhere near the official economy ratings. :ffs:

I'd be interested to hear what other Toyota HSD owners think of this unacceptable situation. I do hear what you're saying DevonAygo, but the penny pinching lease companies could cost Toyota sales and reputation.

Dear all,

Melissa Coulton

Social Media

Toyota (GB) PLC

Hi Melissa

Thanks for sticking your head above the parapet on this one! It's thanks to following your comments on the threads in the official Toyota blog that I was aware of the notification from Toyota to dealers.

I had a chat with the lease company service desk this morning - as far as they are concerned, they are happy that "synthetic oil" should be used on the Prius, and, again, said that they had NOT advised the dealer against using 0W20 oil in my Prius - they'd just queried the labour rates for the service! They were going away to check the recommendations from Toyota & get back to me. Unfortunately I've been too busy this afternoon to chase them up..... If I get time tomorrow, I'll point them in your direction!

What is REALLY bugging me about all this is that I am PAYING the lease company to look after my car - the cost of the lease has servicing built in - so this should be to the manufacturer's recommended standards. The arguments about the 0W20 oil being "too expensive" are nonsense - if the oil is more expensive, then the standard price for a service should be higher to compensate - and, correspondingly, the lease cost may be a little dearer to cover the cost. I'm happy for this, because I know that if the more expensive parts have been used (correct oil, low energy tyres) then I save fuel cost to offset the higher lease. At the end of the day, this may be cost-neutral, but at least I've done my bit for reducing my carbon footprint!

However, based on what the leasing company have said to me, it is not them who are at fault - they were happy to pay for expensive oil. My impression is that the dealer just assumed that the lease company would not stand the cost of 0W20 oil and so just used the cheaper grade regardless. Whatever the outcome, when the next service is due I'll be finding a different dealer to do the work!

I'd be interested to hear what other Toyota HSD owners think of this unacceptable situation. I do hear what you're saying DevonAygo, but the penny pinching lease companies could cost Toyota sales and reputation.

Unquote

I'm with you on this Grumpy. 'The car should be serviced according to the manufacturers schedule, using the recommended parts'

This should include things like air/oil filters, oil, tyres and no doubt Toyota screen wash etc...

I believe that the manufacturer formulates the service schedule to obtain the best performance for the vehicle as sold. If the owner chooses ro make modifications then that is the owners responsibility but the dealers should follow the manufacturers schedule to the letter with no exceptions.

When my gen3 eventually goes for it's first service I will insist on 0w-20 although when I bought the car I did ask and was told without hesitation that 0w-20 was the correct oil and it was used in gen3's.

Well I suffered a weekend's driving with the 10-40 oil and reckon I lost about 10 percent of my usual fuel economy. Unlike other contributors to this board I did actually manage to achieve a couple of 70+ mpg peaks on my manhattan but that was when I was driving like a little old lady (which I am, actually) or at 75mph on a long downhill stretch of the M80. I also noticed that the 'magic button' didn't give me quite the Power mode I was expecting.

Car went in for an oil change on Tuesday. 5-30 has had been agreed. Since Toyota Customer Service had told Arnold Clark, Linwood that technical department was 'reasonably happy' with 5-30 in the UK we didn't feel able to argue at that stage. However, yay Melissa! We are putting together the bits and pieces for our next service including things like 'Please use the correct Gen 3 checklist' and a print-out of Melissa's post and will go a few more rounds if they don't put 0-20 in next time as recommended.

Really glad I raised the subject here. Thanks everyone.

Pam S

I am not a Gen 3 owner yet but to my mind Toyota should only use the approved oil for the Gen 3 in all servicing, no matter who owns the car. Using the correct oil should be mandatory. Lease companies should not be given an option on which oil is used. I think Grumpy Cabbie has got it right. Using the wrong oil invalidates Toyota's claims for the excellent fuel consumption figures.Using the wrong oil does have an adverse effect on the Gen 3 Prius performance as many Gen 3 owners have found out. If lease companies use a non Toyota dealer and they use a wrong oil that should invalidate the warranty. The same goes for the use of non Toyota parts.

As an ex RAF aircraft Tech if we had used the wrong oil in an aircraft engine we would have been severely disciplined.

• Like 1

As a potential company car customer, the issue for me is one of trust.

When I book my car in for a service, I am trusting two things to happen: that the dealer will choose the correct oil, and - if necessary - that the fleet company will authorise the additional expense.

When I drive the car out, I've no tangible proof that the correct oil has been used or not. I have to take it on trust. And nothing I've read in this thread so far gives me that trust, I'm afraid.

When I book my car in for a service, I am trusting two things to happen: that the dealer will choose the correct oil, and - if necessary - that the fleet company will authorise the additional expense.

When I drive the car out, I've no tangible proof that the correct oil has been used or not. I have to take it on trust. And nothing I've read in this thread so far gives me that trust, I'm afraid.

Absoultely - couldn't agree more.

• Like 1

Absoultely - couldn't agree more.

I posted a similar thread on here a couple of weeks ago - my local dealer had semi synthetic oil printed on the invoice.. I queried this & was told that this was the standard text that gets printed out on the invoices & 0W-20 oil had definately been used. Only thing you can do is trust what they are telling you is correct & not a bunch of porkies.

I posted a similar thread on here a couple of weeks ago - my local dealer had semi synthetic oil printed on the invoice.. I queried this & was told that this was the standard text that gets printed out on the invoices & 0W-20 oil had definately been used. Only thing you can do is trust what they are telling you is correct & not a bunch of porkies.

Or turn up with your own oil and trust them to use it.

How readily available is the 0W-20 at retail?

You will know soon enough if the wrong oil has been used by the reduced mpg and oomph.

There are also a couple of threads with a DIY method to determine which oil you have got which I can't find at the moment.

You can also put too much oil in (overfill) which also causes an mpg hit although we don't have anybody reporting that here.

How readily available is the 0W-20 at retail?

You can buy online easily. Just google 0w20 oil for sale.

Opie seem to be recommended on this forum from time to time.

Dear all,

Melissa Coulton

Social Media

Toyota (GB) PLC

The saga continues:

I've now spoken to both the leasing company and the service manager. Both tell (more or less) the same story - that the service has been carried out in accordance with the "National Fleet" agreement that Toyota have with the leasing companies - apparently this spells out the cost and activities for a standard service.

Apparently the National Fleet service says to use 5w30 oil in the GenIII Prius.

So Toyota strikes again..... Left Hand, would you like to meet Right Hand?

On the basis of this, my advice to someone considering a Prius as a Company lease car, then don't forget to add the cost of an extra 10-15% for spoiled fuel consumption when you do your sums. Whilst the Prius is still technically "interesting" and a relaxing drive, in practice you may get just as good economy from from a VW BlueMotion Diesel!

I booked mine in with my local dealer, Bently's Toyota in Warrington, I casually asked the service receptionist what oil they would be using, he came back a few seconds later and said "It will be 0W20 sir, that's the oil specified by Toyota for this model of Prius".

Top marks to Bentleys so far then, and it does look like information is being passed down the chain. Some of the problem's others are having look like dealings with Arnold Clark, good luck with that, imho the worst chain of dealers in the country, robbers and rogues to a man :)

Oh you will know when they've used anything other than 0w20. The post by Pam S on the previous page shows just how obvious the drop in performance and mpg's is to a 'lay' person. It is like driving a less efficient (and slower) car.

You have been warned.

I booked mine in with my local dealer, Bently's Toyota in Warrington, I casually asked the service receptionist what oil they would be using, he came back a few seconds later and said "It will be 0W20 sir, that's the oil specified by Toyota for this model of Prius".

Top marks to Bentleys so far then, and it does look like information is being passed down the chain. Some of the problem's others are having look like dealings with Arnold Clark, good luck with that, imho the worst chain of dealers in the country, robbers and rogues to a man :)

I have added Bentley's of Warrington to my list on my earlier post #12.

Well the plot thickens further... thanks to my rants here, on the Toyota official "all you need to know" blog, and a tweet to ToyotaGB I had a call this morning from a nice man at Toyota Customer Service. (It seems my leasing company had been on to them for advice about the issue yesterday too!) According to The Man From Toyota, the National Fleet agreement for servicing a Gen III Prius is that 0W20 oil should be used. So, he's going to speak to my friendly local dealer's service department & see about getting my oil changed for the correct grade. :yahoo:

It will be interesting to see how much impact this has on fuel consumption (particularly as I've just had consumption hammered by fitting "normal" rather than "eco" tyres)..... struggled to top 50mpg on the last tank :crybaby:

Watch this space for developments!

• Like 1

Well full marks to Toyota for sorting this thing out so quickly. :toast:

Toyota HQ know it needs 0w20, most but not all dealers know it needs 0w20 and once we convince the remaining dealers and selected lease companies then all will be sorted and all drivers of the gen3 can enjoy the exceptional fuel economy of this fabulous car. :thumbsup: