Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Poor Fm Reception On Prius 3

Aeneas

Anyone getting poor reception on their FM radio on the Prius Gen 3? At first I thought it was me being ultra sensitive with my new car but having had it for four weeks I know that it is persistent. The symptoms are hissing, crackling or static, and, when really bad, like someone rustling paper or foil. The static seems to appear after the car is being driven for a while, and it comes and goes. Periods when the reception is good and then periods when the rustling appears. I thought at first it might be owing to a change in transmission frequencies but it happens in areas where there is no frequency change. The problem is intermittent, and wouldn't you know it, when I brougth it to the dealer the reception was ok. But the issue is there. Maybe interference from the car's electronics. The engineer "thought there might have been a bulletin" about it but wasn't sure. Anyone know if this is a general problem with the Gen 3?

Yup. Mine is not brilliant and lots of gen3 owners over on Prius Chat have the same problem.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-audio-electronics/69807-weak-fm-radio-reception-in-2010-prius.html

Not sure if it is the unit or something else.

Thanks for the link which is very helpful. It looks like there is a general problem with at least some of the tuner units. In the US Toyota have issued a bulletin authorising dealers to replace the radios. Does anyone know if similar bulletins have been issued for Europe, UK, Ireland?

Isn't this supposed to have been fixed on Priuses after a certain build date?

Perhaps. Do you know the build date?

This TSB shows there has been a production change. Check your VIN number to see if you are post- or pre-. If it's the latter take the TSB to your dealer, as if can be fixed.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-audio-electronics/69807-weak-fm-radio-reception-in-2010-prius-41.html#post1188144

This TSB shows there has been a production change. Check your VIN number to see if you are post- or pre-. If it's the latter take the TSB to your dealer, as if can be fixed.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-audio-electronics/69807-weak-fm-radio-reception-in-2010-prius-41.html#post1188144

That tsb is for USA market and JBL systems.

I'm still in a loan prius and thus don't have DAB. Fm reception is very poor in my opinion.

That tsb is for USA market and JBL systems.

I'm still in a loan prius and thus don't have DAB. Fm reception is very poor in my opinion.

I get this problem on the radio when the rear screen heater is used but it seems to work ok when it screen heater is off!!

That tsb is for USA market and JBL systems

Are the JBL systems fitted in the USA different from those fitted here (ie on the T4)?

I've got a jbl and it is very very different. Separate amp, 8 Speakers, subwoofer. Not that it works but that is a different story. Head unit is different as well in the us. As are fm frequency tuners.